UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Belfort vs. Okami will determine no.1 contender

9/20/10 9:30 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1072 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

The Ultimate Fighting Championship® organisation returns to Germany on November 13 when UFC 122 emanates from König-Pilsener-Arena in Oberhausen.

In the high-stakes main event, mixed martial arts legend Vitor ‘the Phenom’ Belfort will face Japanese powerhouse Yushin ‘Thunder’ Okami in a three-round contest to determine who will  challenge for the UFC Middleweight Championship in 2011.

UFC 122 is the first UFC event to take place in Germany since the world’s premier combat sports organisation made its mainland Europe debut in Cologne last June.

UFC Managing Director of International Development Marshall Zelaznik said: “We are glad to be coming back to Germany with UFC 122 and to reward our loyal UFC fans in Germany. Both Vitor Belfort and Yushin Okami are one win away from a shot at the UFC Middleweight Title and are coming to Germany with a great deal to win and lose. This is a sporting event with tremendous international significance, and we are delighted to have been able to bring this event to Oberhausen.”

read entire article...

9/20/10 9:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crazydave
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/20/10 9:50 AM
KirbyLovesDildo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/20/10 9:54 AM
caposa
1592 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i thought this was the case ever since the fight was announced?

im gonna say Okami by decision

#1 contender fights usually end up with both guys fighting very conservative, which tends to be Yushin's style anyway

also this 14 month layoff is not going to help Belfort at all
9/20/10 11:42 AM
Twostep
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WAR OKAMI!!!
9/20/10 12:11 PM
goonskwad

Sooooo is chael still getting a title shot or....? Phone Post
9/20/10 2:41 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okami stepped it up vs Linhares but Linhares is no A level guy.

Okami barely got by Munoz. Again, not an A level guy.

For those questioning Vitor's heart and stuff, this is a 3 rounder and Okami isnt exactly a guy that pushes you to the limit. Okami is a sturdy, durable and rounded opponent, fights smartly but Vitor has too much for him imo. Okami does well against guys he can take down and control on the ground. Vitor's hands and wrestling will likely be too strong, too fast for him though it will be interesting to see how both are able to adapt to each other. But Vitor seems to have found his groove of late, a more patient killer. Again, like Shogun, Alves, JZ, the layoff cant help though at least its not an injury forced layoff.

This is Vitor's shot at consistency (after Lindland, Franklin). This is Okami's shot at beating an A level guy finally.
9/20/10 2:45 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The more i think about this, the more it i picture it not going well for Okami. He usually is very tentative against guys with good hands, feeling them out, keeping his range. Vitor's hands are on another level than Franklin's, Swick's, Chael's, etc. Vitor hits harder, hits faster and has better wrestling than everyone he's faced except Chael. Okami could also not submit the submission prone Sonnen. Unlikely he will catch Vitor.

What I would like to see Okami do is force the clinch and work from there. Wear Vitor down but he will need a td early to suceed. Hopefully, the improved force in his hands he showed against Lihares can also translate to his GNP as well.

I cant see Okami beating Anderson, Chael, Nate or Vitor but has a shot at pretty much at nearly everyone else at MW i can think of.
9/20/10 3:34 PM
USAF Imagery Analyst

Vitor would have a better shot at Anderson then Okami would.
9/20/10 4:59 PM
USAF Imagery Analyst

Bumbaclot - 
USAF Imagery Analyst - Vitor would have a better shot at Anderson then Okami would.

Okami = Chael Sonnen without roids and better sub defense.

He beats Anderson.

Remember when Anderson upkicked him.  He was on his back.

I just envision Okami turning into Maia or Leites and desperately trying to bring Anderson in to his world. Where as Sonnen came after him and confident Vitor would as well.
9/20/10 5:10 PM
The Sultan
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best possible solution for the MW title picture...i didn't feel like Belfort had done enough to warrant a title shot at 185.  Okami has been proving himself lately and I think its a great fight to determine number 1 contender.....

Great job zuffa.
9/20/10 5:18 PM
da Vinci 81
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol, #1 contender unless okami wins

I remember fitch vs alves was a #1 contender too... Until fitch won.
9/20/10 6:31 PM
USAF Imagery Analyst

Bumbaclot - 
USAF Imagery Analyst - 
Bumbaclot - 
USAF Imagery Analyst - Vitor would have a better shot at Anderson then Okami would.

He beats Anderson.

I just envision Okami turning into Maia or Leites and desperately trying to bring Anderson in to his world. Where as Sonnen came after him and confident Vitor would as well.

Comparing Maia and Leites' takedown prowess to Okami is just ridiculous.

Anderson was on his back within 1 minute against Okami.

Bottomline for me is that I am not an Anderson Silva fan...so if Okami/Belfort/(Sonnen? in light of recent news) can defeat him, I'll be happy. No doubt that Silva has talent and is a great fighter, he just doesn't appeal to me.
9/20/10 6:42 PM
BJJkilla
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

okami can do exactly what sonnen did against anderson. he has better sub defense and he would be able to take silva down at will.
9/20/10 6:54 PM
Wasa-B

^ by turning himself white, republican, improving his aggression ten fold, etc?

Okami's subgrappling game is better than Chael's.

Chael is way more aggressive and effective with mixing striking and tds.

At any rate, this is a no brainer #1 contender match.
9/20/10 6:58 PM
Mma_Dawg
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

USAF Imagery Analyst - 
Bumbaclot - 

He beats Anderson.

How long have you been watching mma???...

9/20/10 7:05 PM
qp222

there's ambiguity as always with that press release

it reads as if the winner is guaranteed a title shot but not necesarily the next title shot

I think the UFC still wants Chael and will see how the whole ped thing plays out before we get an announcement of Silva's next opponent

9/20/10 7:13 PM
OzLoco
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This fight makes me happy.

Easier to justify than insto-title-shot for Vitor.
9/20/10 7:23 PM
EVILYOSHIDA

vitor will either win in the 1st round or get gnped/lnped by okami for a decision loss
9/20/10 8:55 PM
SgtJustinTeplitz
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vitor vs wandy 2 for championship fight, imo!
9/20/10 9:25 PM
JimmersonzGlove
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - Lol, #1 contender unless okami wins

Yep. If Okami wins a boring decision and Bisping beats Akiyama, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the shot to Bisping since he's a bigger name.
9/20/10 10:47 PM
hubris
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who cares about the contender, they should have just matched done Vitor vs Anderson right away

especially with the cheater Chael getting caught for PEDs
9/21/10 1:45 PM
Wasa-B

JimmersonzGlove - 
da Vinci 81 - Lol, #1 contender unless okami wins

Yep. If Okami wins a boring decision and Bisping beats Akiyama, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the shot to Bisping since he's a bigger name.

Okami has a much better chance vs Bisping than Belfort though Bisping is very underatd on here and is improving all the time.

I could see Bisping's footwork and work rate out pointing Okami and leaving Okami to only mount some offense perhaps in the 3rd round ala Franklin (though Bisping will be more aggressive than Franklin). Bisping doesnt tire though.

Bisping should beat Sexy on cardio alone. If Sexy's hands can sharpen back up to where they were vs Belcher, it will be a better fight. He needs to improve his ground game though. He will likely mount little offense on Bisping at the stage his ground game is at. Sexy does mix his striking and tds up pretty well. It could be more of a factor if his ground game was better so he could pressure even more with the clinch.
9/21/10 2:46 PM
Jweinberg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitor!
9/21/10 2:48 PM
GaGas Soldier

okami will reign supreme

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.