UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Matt Serra: 'Life is short ... and so am I'

9/20/10 12:16 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

"When I'm an old dude in a rocking chair, I'll have these great war stories," said the 36-year-old, who's fought everyone from B.J. Penn to Matt Hughes. "And you know, whether I'm the hammer or the nail, it makes me a better instructor at my schools and builds up your character. So I'm there for the experience itself."

"Last time it was two guys fighting not to lose, and this time it's two guys looking to take each other out. And I'll tell you something: Not only is he fighting in a rematch in a fight where he lost a very close decision with a lot on the line, but he's fighting in his hometown, in front of everybody he's ever known from his family on. He's going to want to make a statement."

"You know, we're both durable veterans that are well-rounded. We're both not easy to get out of there. I know he's thinking the same thing as me, if he's able to take me out, that'll say something. And I'll tell you right now, there's nothing I want more, either."

"To me, it's all about the journey. The glass is always half full for me. Life is short and so am I."

Read entire article...

Matt Serra fights Chris Lytle in a rematch at UFC 119 in Indianapolis on September 25.

9/20/10 12:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Serra fan here.
9/20/10 12:31 PM
FreakDaddy
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Serra too. It is nice to see a fellow short person KO folks in the Octagon.
9/20/10 12:32 PM
awilson82
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/20/10 12:32 PM
 Huge fan of both Lytle and Serra. I wish neither had to lose but I hope Lytle takes it since hes a fellow Hoosier and this one is at home for a change. Plus its the rematch of the fight that changed his philosphy on how he fights and itd be nice to see that pay off for him. I do hope its a war. 
9/20/10 12:37 PM
Fake Rassler

Serra is really cool. A grappling match between him and Rogan would NOT feature any finished triangle chokes
9/20/10 12:58 PM
ChangoBravo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Serra is Awesome!

Chango
9/20/10 1:11 PM
Tomato Can
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like both Serra and Lytle and don't understand the point of this rematch.
9/20/10 1:12 PM
Fake Rassler

ChangoBravo - Matt Serra is Awesome!

Chango

CHANGO PLEASE TELL ME THE EXACT FIGHT RESULT FOR SERRA VS LYTLE
9/20/10 1:15 PM
FreakDaddy
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/20/10 2:22 PM
Tomato Can - I like both Serra and Lytle and don't understand the point of this rematch.

I wish they were not fighting each other either.
9/20/10 1:17 PM
BZLJJ
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heart Matt Serra (no homo)! :)
9/20/10 1:39 PM
InspiritMick

Huge Serra fan here too
9/20/10 1:43 PM
BMKBA

Long Island, BABY. wat u fawking gunna do aboot it. haha. love this guy. he can take and give jokes with the best of them.
9/20/10 1:44 PM
bakalol

Serra has good power and hands and all... but i really want to see some more of his grappling in the octagon...
9/20/10 2:27 PM
Mark Hunter
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Charlie_Subcon - 
bakalol - Serra has good power and hands and all... but i really want to see some more of his grappling in the octagon...

+1

+2
9/20/10 2:29 PM
Tomato Can
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/20/10 2:29 PM
Serra's grappling isn't world-class these days. He's sort of like a more successful Jorge Gurgel in that regard. He's a grappler who put so much into his stand-up that it's actually become his primary weapon.
9/20/10 2:38 PM
RNunberg
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Serra Fan 4 Life
9/20/10 2:41 PM
Ramon Maroni

TTT for Matt Serra
9/20/10 3:00 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for both fighters.
9/20/10 3:01 PM
Ramon Maroni

Immaculata - TTT for both fighters.

True that Lytle rocks it too
9/20/10 3:37 PM
FieryErmine

Tomato Can - I like both Serra and Lytle and don't understand the point of this rematch.

Very close fight last time. I thought Lytle took it.
9/20/10 3:50 PM
Little Ron
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - Serra's grappling isn't world-class these days. He's sort of like a more successful Jorge Gurgel in that regard. He's a grappler who put so much into his stand-up that it's actually become his primary weapon.

Tomato I'm not sure about your grappling experience so I say this humbly but as a 2.5yr brown belt (7yrs jiu-jitsu about 14 wrestling and student of matt's so maybe biased) I can tell you that his grappling is still UNREAL.

I've a had fair amount of competition success, beaten guys ranked above, etc. Rolling with Matt (recently) is one of the most humbling experiences; his ability to completely shut out your game plan (which has been very successful) with minimal effort and control you is just unreal. I'll be at the 2010 Pan Ams and training with Matt recently was the best I could preperation I could have asked for.

With that said I think a lot of us forget that no shirts make grappling a lot harder especially jiu-jitsu. It's a lot different than rolling at practice with rash guards and tshirts. Alls it takes a lot of times is a quick explosion and a guy could reverse the position not due to skill but a combo of sweat and slickness.

Just my humble opinion.
9/20/10 4:25 PM
Tomato Can

Perhaps I overstated my point. I'm sure he's still a fantastic grappler, but really it's not his primary weapon anymore. He has big power in his hands and that seems to be his top priority these days. It's sort of undebatable that he's achieved more in MMA with his striking than his grappling.
9/20/10 4:51 PM
Mark Hunter
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO, the reason Serra stopped trying to grapple so much is because so many guys got a "W" over him simply by avoiding the takedown (BJ Penn and Din Thomas come to mind). His style began to change afterwards.
9/20/10 6:20 PM
ChangoBravo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fake Rassler - 
ChangoBravo - Matt Serra is Awesome!

Chango

CHANGO PLEASE TELL ME THE EXACT FIGHT RESULT FOR SERRA VS LYTLE

Um, Serra over Lytle by split decision? I'm not sure of your question.

Are you asking for the out come of the first fught, because you didn't see it or hear about it?

Or, are you asking for a prediction on the second fight?

Or, are you making an assertion that Matt Serra IS NOT awesome because of the SPLIT decision and you really love Chris Lytle?

Hey. I really like Lytle as well. I think he's a great fighter and well spoken and really fun to watch and it's going to be a really tough and great fight. In any other fight I'd be cheering my ass off for Lytle! But...

MATT SERRA IS THE FUCKING MAN!!!!!

Chango
9/20/10 6:35 PM
awilson82
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know everyone is gonna think Im a tard but I could honestly see Lytle being the first to ever sub Serra. Lytles subs have always been awesome and he just had arguably 2 of the best subs of the year in back to back fights and one came from fucking nowhere. Serra is the better grappler forsure but everyone gets caught. A Chris Lytle that is motivated to win and use all his tools is a tough fight for anyone at WW.

Im more pumped to see this fight than any other on the card and Conseco's roof will get blown off with Lytle walks out.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.