UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> Training help aka save my life

9/24/10 3:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tassiemmaloser
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I e-mialed this to SPMA because I know those dudes will help, but I'm checking here anyway as it can't help to collect more info.

I suffer from Chondromalacia Patella otherwise known as Patello-Femoral Knee Pain. It was the result of a particularly bad fall I took, where I landed directly on my knee cap. So far I've taken all the advice from physios and sports doctors I can get... the suggest strengthening my VMO, loosening my ITB and basically doing a lot of squat based exercises to bring my VMO in to line, therefore drawing my knee cap back over to the side where it belongs.

To add more to that, the impact of the fall has pushed my knee cap out to one side (the outside) and has also damaged the back of the patella. Hence why it's going to take a year to repair... I basically need to train my knee cap to run along the right line and also strengthen the required muscles.
9/24/10 3:59 PM
tassiemmaloser

I forgot to ask my main question. Physio says it will take a year before I can kneel on it again without damaging it.
Does anyone know anyone who has trained through this type of injury, and if so, how did they do it? I plan on avoiding takedowns, sweeps/escapes that result in me landing on my knee, and any submissions, that require pressure through my knee as well
9/25/10 11:02 AM
geraldbb
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(raises hand), Yes I had this injury and it is possible to overcome it. Takes a while to get past the initial onset, but once you are through that, it is any other injury. I strapped mine for a while but soon found that was unnecessary.

Time spent riding the bike seemed to help the most, I rode to training and then rode home and put up with the fact that my gaurd sucked and my standing work could be better.

12 months on (I did mine the day prior to the ADCC Pro Gi) I feel almost nothing.

You will be OK.

GBB
9/26/10 5:44 PM
SyN

Hi Mate,

This probably won't answer your question directly but will help with the over all problem.

One of the things I have found very important in dealing with this problem is getting the hip functioning better too. With out over-doing the the detail, if your Femur (bone in upper thigh) is internally rotated (various causes such as inefficient glutes and tight internal rotators/extensors (none glute) your Patella won't align correctly despite how much VMo work you try and do. Get that alignment correct and your quads will function better and the problem should be reduced.

Hope this makes sense. (if it doesn't do a lunge (on the spot) and see what your front knee does (turn inside your toes etc?)

Again hope this helps, keep up the foam rolling etc on the ITb, stretch your hip flexors and adductors (in particular magnus).

Sy
9/26/10 8:26 PM
tassiemmaloser

Champions. I'll keep up the work on the bike Gerald and see how that goes.
Sy - I'd give the lunge a crack now but I don't feel like dropping my slacks at work to see how my knee goes. I'll have a go later and we'll see how it goes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.