UnderGround Forums

PhotoshopGround >> Sony Mavica,?

9/24/10 7:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fury2Feed
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a Sony Mavica digital camera, it takes a cd. Seems like decent one, although maybe like ten years old, not real sure the year. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions with this model?
9/24/10 8:08 PM
cluster
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's old tech, dawg.
9/27/10 6:25 PM
jim dwyer
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You sure it takes a cd? I seem to remember the Mavica taking a floppy disk?

Seem to remember it was pretty sharp at the time. Check out the camera databases in pbase and flickr, they'll give you good examples of what kind of photos it would take.
9/28/10 12:17 AM
cluster
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ there was a version that took mini cds. Pretty cool back in teh day when you had to pay a ton to get 64 or 128Mb on a card....I think they held a little over 200, so it was pretty sweet.
9/28/10 12:31 AM
Freaky_Hibiki
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a Mavica CD1000 that took mini CDRs several years ago when it was new technology. When I got it, windows XP had just been released. The only drivers Sony made for it were for windows ME and they stated that they had no plans to make drivers for xp. That meant that you couldn't get the pictures through a USB connection, only off of the disc. If you took 4 pictures and really needed them, you'd have to finalize the entire disc in order to get them. That was the last Sony product I bought.

I think this was in late 2001, btw.
9/29/10 6:17 PM
Fury2Feed
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a model CD400. Yeah for sure takes a mini Cd for pic storage. I have been able to upload pics from it easy enough. Is it very incompatible with other tech? What are the drawbacks?

It was given to me, so it's no loss. I'm just curious what it's strengths and weaknesses are.
9/29/10 8:14 PM
cluster

Fury2Feed - It's a model CD400. Yeah for sure takes a mini Cd for pic storage. I have been able to upload pics from it easy enough. Is it very incompatible with other tech? What are the drawbacks?

It was given to me, so it's no loss. I'm just curious what it's strengths and weaknesses are.

What are you looking for it to be compatible with? You need the CDs, which cost money, they can't be reused. it takes a proprietary battery which likely hasn't been produced for at least 6 years and since it has an EVF _and_ it needs to spin the CD _and_ use the laser it's going to be chewing through whatever's left of the battery pretty quickly.

Plus it's 8 year-old digital camera tech.

Since it was free you might play around with it until you use up all the CDs and the battery finally dies for real.

Strengths: it was free
9/29/10 10:51 PM
Fury2Feed

Right on. Just wanted to have a conversation about it, see if it yielded anything. Guess I'll just see how it holds up.
9/30/10 10:57 AM
cluster

Definitely have fun with it, but I wouldn't recommend putting any money into it. A 6-8 year old LiIon battery (especially a Sony one!) is likely not going to hold much of a charge.

I do have to say that I had a DSC-S30 for years and really liked that camera. Once you figured out how to work around it's limitations, it was a lot of fun.

The mavicas...those were largely crap. The original ones used a 3.5" floppy, IIRC which was a good idea but painful in practice. Used to use those on construction sites which was interesting to try to keep those working. My friends bought the CD ones and I was like, "how in the world are you going to keep it still enough to allow it to write properly when you take it out for anything other than the occasional portrait?"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.