UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Go to hell!!! "the gates of hell will not prevail"

9/26/10 9:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
reverend john
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a great mini message that shows my views of the passage where Jesus explains to Peter and the disciples that the gates of hell will not prevail against the church. The gates are not offensive, they are not talking about Roman forces attacking the church, or heresies, or temptations, the gates are meant to keep the church out!!! Great message please read

http://blog.hughlh.com/big-tent-justice/

rev
9/26/10 11:18 PM
Lahi
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/27/10 12:27 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol...heck of a thread title there.
9/30/10 9:26 PM
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting... did the word 'love' mean the same in NT times as it does today? I've read in a few articles that love in that day didn't necessarily mean the sappy, sentimental stuff we think of today. As I understand it, in those days the idea of being in love or loving your neighbor in such a sentimental fashion was unheard of. Rather, it meant to do what is right by a person, whether you had those feelings or not.

Was Jesus being loving towards the Pharisees when he called them white washed sepulchres and a brood of vipers?

Was Jesus loving when he said that those who did not feed the poor would go off into everlasting punishment?

Was it loving when Peter confronted Ananias for lying, who then died on the spot?

What is love?
9/30/10 9:43 PM
Ridgeback
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grakman -  Interesting... did the word 'love' mean the same in NT times as it does today? I've read in a few articles that love in that day didn't necessarily mean the sappy, sentimental stuff we think of today. As I understand it, in those days the idea of being in love or loving your neighbor in such a sentimental fashion was unheard of. Rather, it meant to do what is right by a person, whether you had those feelings or not.

Was Jesus being loving towards the Pharisees when he called them white washed sepulchres and a brood of vipers?

Was Jesus loving when he said that those who did not feed the poor would go off into everlasting punishment?

Was it loving when Peter confronted Ananias for lying, who then died on the spot?

What is love?

Ever read The Four Loves by CS Lewis?
9/30/10 10:59 PM
Grakman

Edited: 09/30/10 11:01 PM
 Nope, sounds like it's something I need to add to my reading list.

Quick Google read of reviews / synopsis seems like he is saying something similar, at least regards 'charity - love.'

10/1/10 7:33 PM
reverend john
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah love isn't mamby pamby feelings, love is sacrifice, commitment, and all the 1 cor stuff.

rev
10/1/10 8:55 PM
Grakman

I was reading earlier today that 'love' means doing what is right regardless of feelings; it isn't the 'feeling' per se it's the actions one takes that is 'love' or 'charity.' I can live with that. It's hard to drum up feelings for people lol but I can fight my way through negative things to 'do what's right, regardless' most of the time.
10/1/10 9:18 PM
reverend john

yeah, I don't always feel loving towards my wife, but it is my commitment and action that are love

rev
10/3/10 11:50 PM
Grakman

Based on what you see in the world today, wouldn't it be a more objective view that the gates of Hell are still standing strong, if your worldview expects a world remade in the image of Christ?
10/3/10 11:56 PM
reverend john

the world is remade, every day as men and women live the kingdom out. The entire creation will be remade in Christ in the future, but now we are both seeing through a glass darkly, and walking in so little of the truth.

rev
10/4/10 12:51 AM
Grakman

Not sure if your post was a rebuttal or additional commentary rev, but it does seem to support the notion that the gates are still standing. Phone Post
10/4/10 12:57 AM
reverend john

the scripture says the gates of hell will not prevail. In other words they won't work, not that they won't be there. Of course the gates still are there, and seem to keep the church out, it takes the church to actually assault the gate to break through

rev

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.