UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Goodridge explains why he walked out of MFL fight

9/27/10 12:36 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

When news first broke that UFC veteran Gary Goodridge stood up former The Ultimate Fighter Season 2 contestant Tom Murphy  for their MFL fight this weekend in Montreal, rumors started circulating about why "Big Daddy" walked out of the arena minutes before the main event bout.

CagePotato.com spoke with Goodridge last night and the MMA veteran explained why he went AWOL Saturday night.

According to 44-year-old Barie, Ontario, Canada resident, the event's promoter, Dirk Waardenburg promised to pay him double what the commission was to be told he made for the fight, with 50 percent to be paid in cash prior to the bout and the remainder to be paid via check after the event.

When Waardenburg continued to make excuses all night why he couldn't pay yet, Goodridge says he confronted the promoter about their agreed upon financial terms that were not met and he was told that because of poor attendance, he would only get 20 percent and could take it or leave it.

"All night I kept asking [Waardenburg] where my money was and he kept saying he couldn't pay me because there were too many people around. I was like, 'Why can't we go into a bathroom or something?' you know? Finally, I'd had enough and I talked to him just before they were about to announce the fight and I told him I wasn't going out there unless he paid me," Goodridge recalls. "He gave me 20 percent of what he promised me and he told me he couldn't afford to pay me the rest. I handed it back to him and I told him I wasn't going to fight unless they came up with all of it. "

read entire article...

9/27/10 12:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
buvaiser
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good for him. better an honest day's work as a security guard than to be disrespected and still be paid peanuts and lowballed in the bush league.
9/27/10 1:04 PM
bruddahoodaman
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/27/10 1:14 PM
even though it was a shady backroom deal, he still did the right thing in that instance. i've seen tons of fighters be told they were going to get paid, but never did even though they still went out and did their part of the deal.
9/27/10 1:11 PM
ABE FROMAN

This board will somehow figure out how to make Gary stupid for doing this.
9/27/10 1:17 PM
Loves2GiveHeddy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Gary!

9/27/10 1:20 PM
crowbar
701 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I support his decision.
9/27/10 1:21 PM
BLPorritt
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good job Gary!! Phone Post
9/27/10 2:25 PM
Lionheart XIX

Aight Phone Post
9/27/10 2:27 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
2046 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Gary.
9/27/10 2:31 PM
permanentmidknight

Can Gary ever catch a break?  
9/27/10 2:31 PM
solidsnake
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN -  This board will somehow figure out how to make Gary stupid for doing this.

Hahaha, so true. This place is off the hook!

Goodridge is the last fighter that needs to take a potential beating this late in his career and then get stiffed by the promoters.
9/27/10 2:32 PM
Chris
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Partner
 be nice to Gary.
9/27/10 2:32 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
2046 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd be too worried this would happen if I ever fucked Gary out of money.

9/27/10 2:33 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buvaiser - good for him. better an honest day's work as a security guard than to be disrespected and still be paid peanuts and lowballed in the bush league.

9/27/10 2:36 PM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/27/10 2:36 PM
"This board will somehow figure out how to make Gary stupid for doing this."

Why? Because he's black or because this forum never seems to look out for the best interest of the fighters financially? LOL! Idiot
9/27/10 2:37 PM
ubik
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad it got to that situation, he did the right thing.
9/27/10 2:47 PM
Employer

I don't know if he fucked his money away but damn, for someone with the name recognition that he has it's amazing that he has to beg for factory work
9/27/10 3:03 PM
Mr.Unbreakable

unbreakablegym, owner
 Good job Gary! Brian Warren
9/27/10 3:04 PM
Fake Rassler

solidsnake - 
ABE FROMAN -  This board will somehow figure out how to make Gary stupid for doing this.

Hahaha, so true. This place is off the hook!

Goodridge is the last fighter that needs to take a potential beating this late in his career and then get stiffed by the promoters.
9/27/10 3:05 PM
asn
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well it's probably not a smart thing to openly say that you conspired with the promoter to get paid an additional amount under the table so that you wouldn't have to report it to the AC.
9/27/10 3:11 PM
AddictedMMAjunkie

Great job Gary! Don't let those fools hustle you.
9/27/10 3:15 PM
PJ Benn Fan
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Employer - I don't know if he fucked his money away but damn, for someone with the name recognition that he has it's amazing that he has to beg for factory work

Well I am sure he pissed away his fair share and at the same time I know he was fucked by Dream for a fight (I think the Mousasi fight).

And I like Gary and in person hes always been great to me and everyone else and taken pics and signed autos by the truckload.

But in the real world, the fact that you beat the piss out of Oleg means relatively little when a supervisor has a nut to hit every quarter.
I am sure hes good for a story of backstage hilarity with Coleman or Erikson, but at the end of the day, if you dont have the job skills or experience to help someone or their org. succeed, what real use are you to them?

Better question is how do you distinguish yourself to be a better candidate for an open position moreso than the 15 other guys waiting for their interviews?

Especially now when its definitely an employers market!

I think the true sad part is that of all the connections he MUST HAVE made throughout his long career, he cant seem to call in a favor to anyone for a job?

9/27/10 3:16 PM
stuvelo
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cyril Jeff - 
buvaiser - good for him. better an honest day's work as a security guard than to be disrespected and still be paid peanuts and lowballed in the bush league.

9/27/10 4:28 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
872 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loves2GiveHeddy - 

Good for Gary!

Exactamundo
9/27/10 6:03 PM
WoodenPupa
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whattyaknow, yet another shady promoter story.

I'm glad I wasn't born with the fighting itch and trying to make it in this racket now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.