UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> Is Victoria to become a BJJ seminar wasteland?

9/28/10 6:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys,

I just got off the phone with Ty, talking about Rickson coming out and how great it was that Rickson has decided to visit Australia. Although it's a shame his seminars have been postponed, I still think it's awesome that when Rickson does arrive, we will get the chance to train with perhaps the greatest practitioner of BJJ on the planet.

I was stunned to hear that so far only 60 people have been confirmed for the seminar. This has amazed me. Only 60 people so far, are you kidding me!! DMMA has 20 people alone booked, so if we're making up a third what about all the other academy's in Melbourne and Victoria. What's the story?? I know a few guys from Sydney are flying down as well. Dave and myself are going to all 3.

Long gone are the days where Melbourne was the heart of BJJ in Australia. With this sort of enthusiasm we will be lucky if Rickson bothers coming back.

The Gold Coast had their seminar booked for a Wednesday night and it sold out in no time, Sydney isn't far behind.

So why aren't people going?? What's the problem? I realise it isn't cheap, but compared with flying to the States or Brazil to train, it is cheap. Plus, the opportunity to train with Rickson is becoming harder and harder. So I feel opportunities like these are rare and becoming rarer.

When Rickson does a seminar in the U.S, I know of guys driving or flying across the States to attend. Dave and I have a friend from the states flying out to do the seminars here and were looking to go to Japan to do his seminars there as well.

So are we just spoilt, stupid or both??

We will have a legend of BJJ right in our own backyard and we can't even be bothered supporting his seminar. What does that say about BJJ in Victoria?? If we don't support events like this, we will all be the poorer for it. Here is a chance to get on the mat and learn from a legend.

It's now rumoured that Rickson may be looking to re-schedule for January, so that gives everyone more time to put a little money away each week and in no time you will have the cash.

It would be great to see students (and instructors) from all academies make the effort and turn up. If your instructor is going and you're not, expecting he will teach the stuff anyway and you can save money, that's a poor attitude and will do nothing to encourage high calibre BJJ guys to do seminars in Melbourne.

And if instructors are not encouraging their students to go, then I believe they are doing their students a disservice. If I were a student and my instructor told me not to go, then I would be asking myself why is that the case? Why wouldn’t my instructor want me to have the opportunity to learn from one of, if not the best BJJ practitioner on the planet?

So c’mon guys, lets show the rest of Australia how strong BJJ is down here and how hungry and humble we are to learn from the best.

Cam Rowe
9/28/10 5:29 PM
BenBJJ
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/28/10 5:28 PM
Cam, any news of the reschedule?
9/28/10 6:56 PM
DMMA

Nothing yet, Ty is still trying to rework all of the logistics.
9/28/10 10:41 PM
Goodo
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Purely financial reasons for me. $220 for 4 hours I would jump at. $440 for 8 hrs plus accommodation, petrol and some food its suddenly a $650 seminar, which I cant afford in addition to other trips to Melb's I need to do.

If Ty opens it to one day I know at least a car load of us would be there for sure.
9/29/10 1:44 AM
Stewie

Were going! Once the details are sorted..

Hmmmmm reminds me when Jean Jacques Machado did a Seminar in Melbourne 2007.. One of the greatest competitors in BJJ and No Gi and very few showed up. Very disapointing!

See you there

9/29/10 3:04 AM
DMMA

Edited: 09/29/10 3:08 AM
For some the logistics and added expense do make it hard, and I get that. Goodo, If there is some way that we can help reduce the cost ie, find you guys some beds, would that make a difference? But with the amount of academies in Melbourne alone, we should have a hell of a lot more than 60 attendees.

Awesome Stew, see you there :)

Cam
9/29/10 4:05 AM
geraldbb
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disappointing.

I was tossing up flying from Perth to do this Seminar, so the weekend would have cost me around $1500. So to those grumbling about money for the Seminar, then think yourselves lucky he is coming to your city, or state, that's rarely the case in Perth WA.

I am confirmed to race a pretty big Triathlon on 7th November so can't do Sydney, and GC is sold out. Either of those options would cost me the same money as Melbourne.

It might sound ridiculous to spend that kind of money to be just another guy in a white Gi in a room full of 49 others, but I guess that is the price of addiction.

Back in 2001 I flew from Melbourne to Sydney to train with Royler, and it was a great seminar. I remember Elvis gatecrashing the Renzo seminar with me and he came down from Sydney to Melbourne for that one.

I'm curious; if not Rickson, then who would you pay big $$$ for???

GBB
9/29/10 6:44 AM
Goodo
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny you should say that Gerald I was actually thinking about this this afternoon and came to the realisation that if it was Marcelo I'd be there. But it would be hard its not just a financial thing for me but some other constraints (believe me I'm just as obsessed with this sport just ask my long auffering wife).

January is a lot more realistic for me so that plus Cams bed and I might even get there yet :)
9/30/10 9:29 AM
DMMA

Edited: 09/30/10 9:30 AM
Cool Goodo, when the time comes, let me know how many beds you guys need and I will see what can be done.

Ben, no nothing yet. Ty is busily trying to get the planets to re-align :(
10/1/10 4:54 AM
Elvis
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was struggling to get tickets to the event in Sydney for myself and some of my students. We didn't even get a chance to advertise it at the gym because we didn't get details. I plan to be there and I hopefully we'll get the details a bit earlier so I can round up a few more students.

Elvis
10/3/10 10:03 PM
paulmat
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, first I heard about it. Will wait for the new dates to be announced and than I am jumping all over it. I will spread the word at my club, as I don't think any one actually knew about it.
10/5/10 11:25 PM
Tycinio
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paulmat, what club are you at? Let me know and I will get the details to you.

Cheers,
Ty.
10/6/10 3:01 AM
paulmat

Hi Ty,

I am at Hanger 4. I am very interested myself, I am a newb, but just don't think I can pass up a Rickson seminar.

Thanks Ty, much appreciated,

Paul
10/24/10 5:48 PM
paulmat

ttt for any further updates ?
10/25/10 6:05 AM
ken amtrack

^^^Tee He He...as if...its the Aus forum "snap cackle pop"
11/4/10 6:31 PM
paulmat

ttt for an update. Anyone heard anything as yet ?
11/4/10 8:21 PM
DMMA

Melbourne = Jan 22nd and 23rd. $220 per day. Priority to those booking both days.

Call Ty directly OR if you are Machado you can call Dominance to get on our list.

Dave
DMMA
03 9429 5978
11/8/10 6:42 PM
paulmat

Legend, thanks heaps Dave! :)
11/26/10 5:35 AM
temp219881

Jen I will be there cheers Robbo
11/26/10 5:37 AM
temp219881

Jen I will be there cheers Robbo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.