UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Diaz Bails on Media Call... I don't blame him...

9/28/10 6:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LayzieTheSavage
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/28/10 6:55 PM
(209), Editor/Videographer

Nick Diaz no-shows Strikeforce media call, manager says bad blood not personal

Nick Diaz is no longer interested in playing the role of hype man in addition to professional fighter.

That's according to his manager, Cesar Gracie, who spoke on Diaz's behalf today during a media conference call promoting the fighter's rematch with K.J. Noons, which headlines an Oct. 9 event at San Jose, Calif.'s HP Pavilion. 

"Nick doesn't really do the conference call with a guy he's fighting; he just never has," Gracie told reporters. "It's just not in his psyche. He's too busy training right now to answer any questions." 

This, of course, came as news to Noons, who found himself rolling solo during the first half of the call promoting "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons 2." 

"Pretty unprofessional," he said before taking questions. 

Noons (10-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) defeated Diaz (22-7 MMA, 3-0 SF) almost three years ago in a 160-pound contest for the now-defunct EliteXC lightweight title. Diaz was ruled unable to continue after Noons' punches opened several cuts on his face. 

And though the two have a well-documented history of bad blood and nearly came to blows inside the cage following Noons' sole title defense in June 2008, Gracie said his fighter has moved on. 

"I don't think he's got time for that," Gracie told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It's not something that's bothered him over the years; he's been really busy fighting (and) doing the things he needs to do. 

"He pretty much has bad blood for anybody who steps in the cage with him, though. So that's just the way it is. It motivates him. It's not a personal thing; it's just how they are, the Diaz brothers. In their mindset, they're going into battle, and they're not friends with the person they're fighting." 

Prior to the booking, many fans had clamored for a fight between Diaz and Jason "Mayhem" Miller, who brawled inside the cage following then-middleweight champion Jake Shields' April victory over Dan Henderson at the CBS-televised "Strikeforce: Nashville" event. 

But in an earlier interview, Gracie told MMAjunkie.com said that was unlikely unless the middleweight Miller agreed to a catchweight bout or to an off-the-books meeting. 

Today, Gracie said Strikeforce and Showtime officials asked for the booking and that the Diaz camp agreed. 

"It's not like we pick and choose who Nick is fighting," Gracie said. "That's not up to us. Nick is the 170-pound champion, and they say, 'OK, you're fighting this guy.' If it were ... some catchweight, then we might think, 'It's a good matchup.' Or, 'We're interested in that or not interested in that.' He's doing his obligations as the Strikeforce champ. He's going to fight who they put in front of him. 

"Some time ago [Diaz] wanted [the fight] at the other weight class, and it just didn't happen a couple of times. Obviously, he moved on and started fighting other opponents and moved on with his life. Now, all of the sudden, this is being brought back up, so I'm sure he does want to (fight Noons). I mean, who wouldn't want to? But I don't think it's something that's been gnawing at him. He wants to fight everybody." 

But when it comes to his obligations to promote the fight, that's not part of the package. 

"We've gone through this before, where there [were] other people he was going to fight and talk on the phone," Gracie said. "He just doesn't operate in that mindset of, 'This is a sport, and we're going to talk about it and shake hands in the middle of the ring.' 

"It's contrary to what makes him tick. He's not going to ever talk to someone on the phone that he's going to fight. A lot of promotions want these guys to talk. They talk amongst themselves and hype it up a little bit. It's common in boxing. It gets to the point where [they] make some kind of rivalry to build the fight up, and sometimes it's a fake thing. 

"With Nick, it's never a fake thing. It just doesn't motivate him to talk to his opponent. He wants to fight the opponent, and not have a conversation with him." 

Noons, meanwhile, stressed that his respect for Diaz ended with fighting ability. 

"Just let it be straight that I do have respect for Nick as a fighter," Noons said. "I think he's a good fighter; he's the best in the world at 170, (and) that's why I'm fighting for his title. As a person, I have different views, and that's what makes it an interesting fight." 
HT: http://mmajunkie.com/news/20824/nick-diaz-no-shows-strikeforce-media-call-manager-says-bad-blood-not-personal.mma
9/28/10 6:54 PM
LayzieTheSavage
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/28/10 6:55 PM

9/28/10 6:57 PM
LayzieTheSavage

Edited: 09/29/10 3:11 PM
 "Prior to the booking, many fans had clamored for a fight between Diaz and Jason "Mayhem" Miller, who brawled inside the cage following then-middleweight champion Jake Shields' April victory over Dan Henderson at the CBS-televised "Strikeforce: Nashville" event. 

But in an earlier interview, Gracie told MMAjunkie.com said that was unlikely unless the middleweight Miller agreed to a catchweight bout or to an off-the-books meeting. "

9/28/10 7:00 PM
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love ya Layzie, but when do you blame Nick Diaz for anything?
9/28/10 7:02 PM
AmericanPsychoMMA

9/28/10 7:04 PM
LayzieTheSavage

jjj2121 -  Love ya Layzie, but when do you blame Nick Diaz for anything?

Yeah, the Joe Riggs hospital fight was definitely Nick's fault...

That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy hearing about it. 
9/28/10 7:05 PM
LayzieTheSavage

AmericanPsychoMMA -  
One of the most infamous pictures in MMA

a sick one too. 

9/28/10 7:06 PM
LayzieTheSavage

Edited: 09/29/10 6:28 PM
Mix6APlix -  He ain't no bitch Phone Post

voted up for being 1st.  
9/28/10 7:06 PM
jjj2121

LayzieTheSavage - 

LMAO I only saw the top part and spit out a mouthful of Coors Light when I read the rest.
9/28/10 7:07 PM
AmericanPsychoMMA

LayzieTheSavage - 
AmericanPsychoMMA -  
One of the most infamous pictures in MMA

a sick one too. 

Yup because it ain't every event that you see a brawl break out like that. 

9/28/10 7:18 PM
Jefe de Jefes
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never understood the allure of this dude.
9/28/10 7:21 PM
LayzieTheSavage

jjj2121 - 
LayzieTheSavage - 

LMAO I only saw the top part and spit out a mouthful of Coors Light when I read the rest.

Cheers bud

9/28/10 7:37 PM
LayzieTheSavage

IrishRottie - its part of being a professional

He just wants to fight and feed his family...
I don't blame him if he doesn't want to try and sell a fight, or "chat" with his opponent. 
"This isn't tennis."
9/28/10 7:58 PM
flesheatingbull

i agree with nick. id hate all of the media crap. he is a fighter, let him simply fight.

ps: this further proves that he is, indeed, not a bitch.
9/28/10 8:14 PM
NHB USA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unprofessional.  Too bad, this very reason is why Dana won't re-sign him.

and I'm a HUGE Diaz fan.
9/28/10 8:14 PM
Loves2GiveHeddy
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz is scared homie!

9/28/10 8:22 PM
LayzieTheSavage

IrishRottie - 
LayzieTheSavage - 
IrishRottie - its part of being a professional

He just wants to fight and feed his family...
I don't blame him if he doesn't want to try and sell a fight, or "chat" with his opponent. 
"This isn't tennis."

im sure none of them want to do the stupid conference calls but its wat entails being a figther these days.

plus its hilarious to hear him baked.

LoL They are epic. You're right. 
9/28/10 8:32 PM
brahmabull81
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

frankiesMONSTER BALLsack - Noons totally classy.

Nick Diaz totally a piece of shit.

Nothing has changed. Carry on.

hey dude, noons is a fucking badass... but you if you cant see that his attitude is pretty fake i dont know what to tell you. doesnt take anything awy from him as a fighter, but its obvious hes a dick. Probably helps him fight the way he does tho.
9/28/10 8:35 PM
TopChute
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/28/10 8:35 PM
The only people who are about these conference calls are the little MMA journalists that need quotes for their little stories.
9/28/10 8:43 PM
bsanford79

I dont blame Nick for bailing on the conf call....
he is not there to sell this fight, he will sell it in the cage, he doesnt need to sit around during the day talking to a speaker phone answering questions about, "Is this personal" "What makes you think this fight will be different" etc etc
Just like Nick told Nate at a post fight presser (beleive it was a UFN card in Iowa, possibly when Nate fought Neer) to get up and leave, not to sit next to Guida and be chummy chummy, he was going to fight him next...... this is the fight game, and that is what he is going to do

I will be a SN bet, my blue name, my autographed Jose Aldo banner from the night he beat Mike Brown, any MMA memorabilia i have or just about anyting else i have on Nick winning this fight
9/28/10 8:46 PM
Chris
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Partner
nick diaz ain't no bitch.
9/28/10 8:48 PM
Vivier

Diaz flipping Shamrock off was awesome.
9/28/10 8:58 PM
Rumbler

Yeah, refusing to promote your fight is REAL smart...

I love to watch Diaz fight, but he will never get the recognition/fights he wants if he doesn't get out of Strike Force and promote his fights.

9/28/10 9:13 PM
LayzieTheSavage

Rumbler - 

Yeah, refusing to promote your fight is REAL smart...

I love to watch Diaz fight, but he will never get the recognition/fights he wants if he doesn't get out of Strike Force and promote his fights.

He doesn't have to sell out to earn fans or recognition.
9/28/10 9:15 PM
Legends
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The funniest part about that CBS brawl pic is the guy pushing Mayhem into the killers!

HAHAHA

That guy "Had Miller's Back!"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.