UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Footlock question

10/1/10 8:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Beach Warrior
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm really liking the sambo footlocks and leglocks. But every now and then, I get a training partner who doesn't want to tap and I'll just let go of the lock for fear of injuring a training partner (even if I know the sub is in tight). So I'm curious to hear from the more experienced folks if it's possible to pop an ankle with heel hooks or straight locks without doing serious damage. How do handle people that don't want to tap but still perfect your technique safely?
10/2/10 2:11 AM
LetsTalkItOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you got it and they don't want to tap let it go. If you pop their ankle or knee well that's messed up. Let them learn to tap early on someone else, get it solid so you know you had it, then let it go.
10/2/10 10:51 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there are two concepts, esp with foot/ankle locks... sometimes the sub really is not on as well as you think. with something like a straight ankle lock, there are people who simply have more flexibility and the lock often has little impact. then there is the idea that maybe you dont have it on as well as you think.

to put is simply, when somebody who knows foot locks puts one on then you have no choice but to tap. when it is somebody in thhat middle ground, sometimes they get it and sometimes they dont.
10/2/10 4:36 PM
JJK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - there are two concepts, esp with foot/ankle locks... sometimes the sub really is not on as well as you think. with something like a straight ankle lock, there are people who simply have more flexibility and the lock often has little impact. then there is the idea that maybe you dont have it on as well as you think.

to put is simply, when somebody who knows foot locks puts one on then you have no choice but to tap. when it is somebody in thhat middle ground, sometimes they get it and sometimes they dont.

I couldn't agree more but even then, if they refuse to tap, just let it go. It's not like it's a competition... Just practise!
10/2/10 9:21 PM
Beach Warrior

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely on board with letting go. I suppose more time and practice will give me better discernment of when the lock is absolutely "there"?
10/3/10 4:42 PM
FatBuddha
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't go for knee bars, heel hooks, or toe holds at all in practice - way too dangerous. Footlocks are ok though.
10/3/10 4:48 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

heel hooks are very dangerous, agreed.. knee bars are not anymore dangerous than an armlock though. the only issue is that it is a lot worse to have your knee "broken" than your arm. but, as it has been said in this thread many times people should tap or you should just forget about cranking it...

then again, once you reach a certain level, one of very high proficency, people should tap or you should continue with it.

all along, coaches should be scolding their students who refuse to tap...
10/4/10 1:12 AM
leothelion

Anything to do the with knee or foot....tap and live to walk another day....don't be a hero
10/8/10 6:56 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Letting go is never a bad idea in training. If you constantly have the same person not tap then brag about not getting tapped then it might be time to break something, talk to your instructor and see what he feels you should do.

We used to have a big arm wrestler come to our class and he never wanted to tap to any arm locks and would get really pissed off if you cranked it. One day in class he slammed me out of an armbar so I told our instructor I was going to break his arm next time. I pulled a real tight armbar let him try to escape then told him I was going to break his fucking arm while slowly adding pressure. He tapped before his elbow got to popped and he had no problem tapping after that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.