UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> BJJ to MMA brethen

10/2/10 2:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
supersaiyan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok long story short...i am about to embark on full MMA training now as in the area which i relocated apparently doesnt have BJJ (gi) mostly MMA. I have 90% gi training in bjj/judo

i am more than decent with gi grappling game as i have had the fortunate blessing to train with caliber challenging partners..

its been about 1.5 years since i actively trained due to "lifes" lovely offering of overcoming the challenges deal lol..

so i am not (imo) a no-gi whiz beast although i am sure i am at least competitive... what MMA sources could i use to aid in my altered training methodology here. i know i can adapt to sub/grappling without the gi as i have done that from time to time with bjj training formats on certain days... but we are kinda talking more no-gi training at all now with M/T mixed in.

any feedback or info , help , advice

any experiences with the total transition from gi to nogi all around ?

thanx :)
10/3/10 11:26 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think your adjustment will come in 2 phases

1) Learning to pace and grips are different. no gi the bottom man must be much more active if he wants to finish and you'll begin to realize how important head control is when there is no lapel to hold.  perhaps this is an oversimplification but you'll learn to replace the lapel grip with a collar tie. slever controls will be over hooks or underhooks or wrist control. but soon enough you'll figure out how to make the things you do in the gi work for you in no gi

2) getting punched in the face while rolling. This adds another dimension of pressure to you and you'll have to rethink your concept of "superior" positions like the guard, bottom half etc. Proper posture and hand placement will stop this once you get involved in this mode.

10/4/10 9:19 AM
supersaiyan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks BIC -

my main thing would be to utilize more "wrestling" type grips... lol...just will be a slight adjustment to remembering there is no GI to grab !!

hits to the face will mos def change the game i am cerain !

appreciate the response... will start back tonite at the new spot n see how it goes :)
10/8/10 2:29 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah the gripping will fix itself in the end as long as you're keeping the posture in the front of your mind. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.