UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Imprecatory prayer

10/2/10 5:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the forums view of imprecatory prayer? Valid, invalid, only applicable in certain times and places? It has Scriptural precedent.
11/4/10 9:29 AM
CJJScout
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had to look up what it meant, but I guess I'm all for it as long as your praying against enemies that are yours because they're God's enemies.
11/4/10 2:14 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/10 2:18 PM
Psalms 7, 35, 55, 58, 59, 69, 109, and 139 were written by David to ask God to bring judgment upon his enemies.

Soon after........... his enemies died.  
11/6/10 6:49 AM
jimmy23
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every prayer works internally and externally ,speaking from the personal perspective. Often, we want justice for those we dont agree with or compete with, but want mercy for ourselves. What are you cultivating  inside yourself when you pray such prayers?

Just food for thought 
12/17/10 12:06 PM
Grakman

Was David righteous or unrighteous when he prayed for the destruction of his enemies? What did such prayers cultivate within him?

12/18/10 5:58 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grakman - 

Was David righteous or unrighteous when he prayed for the destruction of his enemies? What did such prayers cultivate within him?

i'd say he was righteous......probably that his god was awesome.
12/18/10 4:06 PM
Ridgeback
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just to keep things in context, Robert Wynne has admitted that he has prayed to his god to destroy one of his enemies and that person later died.  Santa Muerte and all of that.  

12/18/10 7:44 PM
Robert Wynne

Ridgeback -  Just to keep things in context, Robert Wynne has admitted that he has prayed to his god to destroy one of his enemies and that person later died.  Santa Muerte and all of that. 

and that person was publicly attempting to lie and slander my character while attempting to steal my property....just as Davids enemies were doing the same.
12/22/10 4:19 PM
Grakman

Ridgeback -  Just to keep things in context, Robert Wynne has admitted that he has prayed to his god to destroy one of his enemies and that person later died.  Santa Muerte and all of that.  

Are you just repeating what Robert said or do you believe that his prayer worked and that his enemy died as a result of Robert's prayer?
12/22/10 5:58 PM
Ridgeback
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grakman - 

Are you just repeating what Robert said or do you believe that his prayer worked and that his enemy died as a result of Robert's prayer?

I'm just making it clear how Robert views this type of prayer based on past conversations.  

I even get the basis for it.  It is very understandable and if you put King David in the context of his time (where earthly glory and power is a measure of the power of the god one follows) it is understandable that he wants his God to step to the plate and deal with his enemies.  I don't think this is the mark of perfection though.  I think Jesus praying to the Father to forgive those who were crucifying him "for they know not what they do" is the mark of human perfection and that is where Robert and I disagree.  
12/23/10 1:23 PM
Robert Wynne

oh..he knows it works.

and David did not want his enemies destroyed, because of power and money, he was content being with them, they wanted him destroyed because God chose him and they did not like that.
12/23/10 1:31 PM
Robert Wynne

Praying against your enemies is a very old practice and one that has proven the test of time......there are rituals that a person can learn but can not be taught, that put your enemies under the scrutiny of God, but when doing this, you are also putting yourself under the scrutinity of the Father.

One basic thing a person can do is what David did, and that is too write down your desire and carry it with u.
12/23/10 6:15 PM
Ridgeback

Actually I don't know it works.  I don't believe the God that asks us to pray for our enemies will grant our requests to destroy our enemies.  But Robert rejects the teachings of Jesus as near as I can tell, so we really aren't talking about the same gods.
12/23/10 8:31 PM
Robert Wynne

i reject not the teachings of Christ..for He will not forgive His enemies, they will be cast into the lake of damnation..as He said.

Ridge...you like to pick out the part of the story you like and focus on it, instead of accepting the entire story, from my perspective.

Jesus Christ promised that those with dirty linen, who do not produce good fruit will be destroyed by His Father.

And i believe what Jesus Christ said.
12/24/10 12:50 PM
Ridgeback

Robert Wynne -  i reject not the teachings of Christ..for He will not forgive His enemies, they will be cast into the lake of damnation..as He said.

Ridge...you like to pick out the part of the story you like and focus on it, instead of accepting the entire story, from my perspective.

Jesus Christ promised that those with dirty linen, who do not produce good fruit will be destroyed by His Father.

And i believe what Jesus Christ said.

I'm sorry, but either his teachings to pray for one's enemies and forgive them are his actual teachings or they aren't.  You have already stated on other posts that you don't believe Jesus actually uttered the words "forgive them Father for they know not what they do" from the cross so it is you who picks and chooses which part of the Bible given to you is valid.  

If you want to read Judgment as a lack of forgiveness on the part of Jesus that is your perspective, but you  are the one dealing with the inconsistency between his teachings in the gospels and the Apocalypse.   You were called to forgive your enemy and instead you prayed for his demise and damnation.  Since he also happened to die you now believe God put out a hit on him on your behalf.  Along with begging me for photos all the time that is some f*cked up stuff you believe there Robert.
12/25/10 1:43 AM
Robert Wynne

no.ridgeback..you have came after me with a personal vindictive attack, showing your true nature and character..twisting my words for the benefit of your attack, and attempting to slander me, because forgiveness that you preach, you are not capable of.

you show your lack of class, choosing to make your personal attack at christmas time, you are a sad individual, your choice...your fruit is shown.

a man who chooses such this path, is always unsuccesful.

You lie...claiming i begged you for photos..no I challenged you to put up a real pick of yourself, cause truth is easy to see in your case, and a picture is truly worth a thousand words.
12/27/10 5:55 PM
Grakman

What would a pic prove exactly? And how would you know it is actually Ridge and not some photo copied from the web?
12/27/10 6:38 PM
Ridgeback

I have engaged in no personal attacks.  Making reference to an actual thread and actual things your wrote is not a personal attack Robert.  You did write that Jesus never uttered the words "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do."  I do not have that post in front of me, but it stands out in my mind because I found it curious that your rejected at least some parts of the Gospels.   What, precisely, would I need to forgive?  Why not keep the discussion on the level of ideas rather than personal?  You chose to share the information about having a hand in a man dying in terms of praying for his demise and I brought that up since I think it is relevant to this discussion.

The rest of your post was a personal attack in case you want to see what one looks like.  

12/28/10 7:23 AM
Robert Wynne

well lying is definetly not a problem for you as well, you have taken a thread that was discussing a biblical truth and instead decided to make it about me.....while you hide behind your alias, because you have not the guts to open yourself up for inspection.

you are a true keyboard warrior, and that is the best you have ever accomplished with your life!

i never said i prayed for the mans demise, you lie and try to put those words in my mouth.

and then try and take part of a statement and make it as if i was denying Christ.

one lie after another...in your attempt to slander me. you are truly a pathetic sad person, and you are now blocked from ever talking to me again.

and from your post count, you obviously have no life..rotfl

12/28/10 7:26 AM
Robert Wynne

a blatant lie, well we all know the truth, they shall be known by the fruit they bear. yours is clearly shown.

you would never have the guts to say this to my face, cause a coward is what you are..truly pathetic.
12/28/10 7:27 AM
Robert Wynne

From: Ridgeback Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile
Posted: 9 days ago

You have ignored this user.

20 thousand posts..get a life
12/29/10 2:35 AM
Ridgeback

Since Robert is no longer reading my posts I believe it is safe to say that he is suffering from classical narcissism.  The level of retaliation for tiny things is the tell tale sign.  
12/29/10 2:40 AM
Ridgeback

Here are the signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

People who are overly narcissistic commonly feel rejected, humiliated and threatened when criticised. To protect themselves from these dangers, they often react with disdain, rage, and/or defiance to any slight criticism, real or imagined.[10] To avoid such situations, some narcissistic people withdraw socially and may feign modesty or humility. In the case of feeling the lack of admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation the person can also manifest wishes to be feared and to be notorious (narcissistic supply).

Though individuals with NPD are often ambitious and capable, the inability to tolerate setbacks, disagreements or criticism, along with lack of empathy, make it difficult for such individuals to work cooperatively with others or to maintain long-term professional achievements.[11] With narcissistic personality disorder, the person's perceived fantastic grandiosity, often coupled with a hypomanic mood, is typically not commensurate with his or her real accomplishments.

The exploitativeness, sense of entitlement, lack of empathy, disregard for others, and constant need for attention inherent in NPD adversely affect interpersonal relationships.

12/29/10 8:17 AM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back to the original subject - does such a prayer necessarily require being worded _against_ someone? If the desired result is to win in a sporting event or lawsuit, where you are not operating in a positive-sum environment, does hoping for your own victory equal wishing for the other party's failure?

And if so, does wording the prayer for your own victory give you a sneaky "out" from any impropriety?
12/29/10 9:42 AM
Robert Wynne

Edited: 12/29/10 9:58 AM
cluster - Back to the original subject - does such a prayer necessarily require being worded _against_ someone? If the desired result is to win in a sporting event or lawsuit, where you are not operating in a positive-sum environment, does hoping for your own victory equal wishing for the other party's failure?

And if so, does wording the prayer for your own victory give you a sneaky "out" from any impropriety?

cluster..it's not a wishful type prayer...more of a ritualistic type prayer. and you are placing yourself and the one you are making the accusation against before the inspection of the Almighty. you can not wish or ask for anything against your enemy...judgement is Gods alone.

no sneaky out, your actually placing yourself under the microscope:(

the exact nature of how David accomplished it is unclear to me other than the writing down part, Solomon is the place to look if you want the ritual...begins with O'Adonai, another title for God.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.