UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Hemp Protein?

10/3/10 9:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Luk3
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello all,

Just wanted to know if anyone had used (Hemp Protein) instead of the traditional kinda. From what i have found on Google people seem to be giving it good reviews but i was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it? I dont have a problem with dairy or stuff of that nature and also im not looking to put on a ton of weight, just a good after workout drink.

Thank you my dears,

L
10/6/10 10:25 AM
tetris
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The source of protein is great but turdcken is correct on the texture. I found the only way I could down that stuff was blending it with frozen berries and making a smoothie using flax oil to smooth it out. That stuff is nasty going down otherwise.
10/11/10 7:52 PM
Luk3

Thanks Gents. I did end up buying some stuff. Mum's Original is the brand, good price. Also it seems to have a good amount of Fiber witch is always good;)
1/7/11 8:37 PM
Mocrates

If you are looking for vegetable source proteins, you can also try rice protein or pea protein.
1/7/11 8:37 PM
Mocrates

However, they are not fibrous like hemp, in case you wanted the fiber content
1/8/11 2:58 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mocrates - If you are looking for vegetable source proteins, you can also try rice protein or pea protein.

better so, than soy ?
1/8/11 6:28 PM
Mocrates

Yes, avoid soy protein and associated phytoestrogens.

Unless, you are a male heart patient or a pre/menopausal woman.

1/9/11 12:01 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mocrates - Yes, avoid soy protein and associated phytoestrogens.

Unless, you are a male heart patient or a pre/menopausal woman.

lemme ask you something because i keep hearing conflicting answers about protein intake, i weight 160 lbs with low body fat. I do mainly upper body gymnastic ring work and pp bar etc. and run a lot (recently got back into it), HOW MUCH DAMN PROTEIN DO I NEED lol i hear 25% of body weight in grams, I hear 50%
1/10/11 9:52 PM
Mocrates

Edited: 01/10/11 9:54 PM
The million dollar question. lol

From my experience with athletes and personal experience, protein requirements vary with workout intensities, athletic goals, and aesthetic goals. Note that I consider athletic goals and aesthetic goals separately.

You will have to answer a few questions.

What exactly are your goals?

Are they aesthetically motivated?

Athletically motivated?

How many times per week do you train gymnastics?

How many days does it take you to recover from a gymnastics workout?

How many days do you run?

How many days do you require to recover from your runs?

Are you implementing any specific dietary measures/exclusions/etc.?
eg. Low Carb/CKD, Raw, Paleo, Blood Type ...

To give you an immediate answer, your EVERY NEED for body tissue maintenance AT REST can be met with 1 gram per kilogram of total body weight. This is barring any metabolic disorders.

Also, this is to meet NEEDS, which is very different from meeting GOALS.

160 pounds/2.2 pounds/kilogram x 1 gram/kilogram*day = 72.72 g/day

So, approximately 73 grams/day if you are not training instensely, and not depriving yourself of carbohydrates.

This number changes drastically if you are carb cutting, or training intensely, or both in combination.

Once you answer the above questions, I can give you a better idea of what your protein needs are.

Off the cuff, If I assume you do Gymnastics 2x/week and Running 3x/week

I would say a safe bet is 100 grams/day

Hope that helps!
1/11/11 10:52 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

What exactly are your goals?

simply, recovery. I am not looking to build muscle but rather maintain and tone. I'm all about functional strength

Are they aesthetically motivated?
no

Athletically motivated?

YES, performance i.e. endurance, functional strength, explosive strength

How many times per week do you train gymnastics?

i do gymnastic based upper body excercises and progressions 3 or 4 days a week. some days twice a day, like pull up and dips in the AM, front lever, back lever, planche and base support positions in the PM

How many days does it take you to recover from a gymnastics workout?

1 or 2 depending on the warm up (on Saturday i barely warmed up and the first front lever progression totally killed my upper back, was sore until yesterday)

How many days do you run?

right now in this crazy NYC weather, none. usually 2 days about (one day 40 minutes for distance, one day 1 mile for time )

How many days do you require to recover from your runs?

1 or 2

Are you implementing any specific dietary measures/exclusions/etc.?
eg. Low Carb/CKD, Raw, Paleo, Blood Type ...

i refrain from eating meat, fried food and anything high in fat. though not refraining from it enough to call it a "low fat" diet or a "low carb" diet

I also train BJJ and/or Thai boxing about 4 days a week.

my main goal in protein consumption is recovery/maintaining healthy muscle mass.

i am also adding a day of weights soon as per my S&C homeboy's advice. one day of 5x5 squat, deadlift, powerclean. I think once I do that I will require a bit more protein.

funny because 70 grams give or take is what I had figured out before. my worry with 100 grams is that I won't burn the rest lol

thanks a lot homie!
1/12/11 2:03 AM
Mocrates

My pleasure.

Now to finish up:

Your activity level is a lot higher than I thought.

If optimizing recovery time is your goal, and you are considering adding a 5x5 style routine, then your protein needs are greater than 100 grams.

Do not be worried about burning off the calories from protein, it isn't a worry given the description of your training habits.

You will need the extra protein to build hormones to support your performance and recovery, over and above what is necessary to reconstruct tissue.

Once you start your 5x5 powerlifting work, increase your protein intake to 160 g/day.

For now, start with 100 g/day for 1 week

Experiment with higher numbers 1 week at a time and find the number at which you recover quickest.

Depending on your training habits, this number can vary from 70 g/day - 240 g/day

Hope this helps

1/12/11 12:51 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

thanks Mocrates. will be working on a 100 grams starting Monday. huge props!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.