UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> just invested in Wal- Mart

10/6/10 4:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JDSFTW
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

put in 27 grand by buying 500 shares of Wal-Mart stock. I expect the stock to increase over holiday season and plan to sell it the week before christmas. What do you guys/girls think?
10/6/10 4:11 AM
JDSFTW

ttt
10/6/10 5:46 PM
cincibill

I wish I could guess the future.

Especially on short term plays, it is more about what the broad market does. If the S&P drops between now and January, I would expect Wal-Mart to drop. If the S&P goes up, you will do well. Which way is the market going for the next 3 months?

I don't see anything short of less government and less government spending as the ans. to the bad economy.
10/6/10 6:06 PM
JDSFTW

I agree the state of the Future economy is foggy but I've talked to economists who are telling me that the recession is over. Whenever the recession ends, a new expansion phase begins and I hope to ride that top the top. However nothing is for sure so well see Phone Post
10/6/10 11:32 PM
cincibill

Off topic ... but a friend hit me with "If the government was run like a business and needed to be cost effective, they would subcontract Postal Services to WMT."

Seems like a god idea, WMT has the distribution and locations.
10/7/10 2:24 AM
JDSFTW

I'm going to see if it does well over the holidays and decide when to sell around there. "bears and the bulls make money, the pigs get slaughtered." Phone Post
10/9/10 8:34 AM
Mind's Eye
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's more than a long-term large-cap play on the GDP. They're expanding in to Mexico and Africa. As such, it also turns into a hedge against the dollar, with both first world and now emerging market penetration.
10/9/10 1:29 PM
Mind's Eye
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also: no short-term predictions myself - anything can happen.

Are you using a taxable account? If your timeframe is between now and Xmas, you'll have short-term capital gains to consider.

Since your time horizon is short and your thesis predicts a limited upside, have you considered writing a covered call?
10/12/10 7:38 PM
HEMAN
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cincibill - Off topic ... but a friend hit me with "If the government was run like a business and needed to be cost effective, they would subcontract Postal Services to WMT."

Additionally subtract the IRS and enforce a sales tax.
10/16/10 4:05 PM
cincibill

HEMAN - 
cincibill - Off topic ... but a friend hit me with "If the government was run like a business and needed to be cost effective, they would subcontract Postal Services to WMT."

Additionally subtract the IRS and enforce a sales tax.

The private sector and free markets were always better at everything. We have been paying for substandard, inefficient, overpriced government services for so long it almost sounds like a radical idea that the government should not be in business, and should be only a small fraction of its present size and cost.
10/22/10 5:41 AM
Universl
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most people here agrees with you and so do Cramer. I'm off to buy some WMT.
10/23/10 12:05 PM
Mind's Eye

This thread didn't motivate me since buying WMT was already on my to-do list, but I bought some last week as well. Their current valuation is decent, plus the dividend is respectable. Would be amazing if they manage break into China and especially India.
10/23/10 2:06 PM
JDSFTW

I was thinking India will be there very soon but the real breakout market for the next decade will be south America. Can't wait for that huge expansion. Invest in Caterpillar next year to get a slice of that pie Phone Post
10/24/10 2:28 AM
JDSFTW

Been observing netflix and just bought some 600 shares. Been on the rise pretty nicely lately Phone Post
10/28/10 11:10 PM
cincibill

The market has lost its momentum, time to take some of your money off the table. Do it now, don't delay! Signed Me.
10/29/10 1:59 PM
JDSFTW

Quit flinching! ^^ Phone Post
10/30/10 5:27 PM
cincibill

It's a deliberate action :)
11/23/10 9:34 AM
alley
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't sell your WMT till Xmas of 2035, and then you'll make some real money. It's a classic buy and hold.
12/1/10 8:35 AM
salyer36
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only thing I dont like about Walmart is there debt levels/ratios.

I do own some stock and would buy again if the price comes down.
12/21/10 6:15 PM
vegasdolphin
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
12/21/10 10:46 PM
JDSFTW

Well, as an update, the stocks did not turn out the exact way I wanted. They've been pretty stagnant. Not much going on. Well see what happens when they show their numbers for the holiday quarter. On another note, tata motors, eldorado gold, and Netflix have been making my portolio shine ;) Phone Post
7/17/11 7:09 PM
Mind's Eye

Edited: 07/17/11 7:18 PM
double post
7/17/11 7:18 PM
Mind's Eye

Wes_Mantooth - I would not invest in WMT expecting a short term pop. It is an outstanding long term investment.

That, and what I said earlier. Make this one of your holdings in the slow-but-sure growers part of your portfolio.

One indicator is to watch what the smart money is doing. Wal-Mart has bought back over 3.5 billion shares (22%) over the past 10 years. The Waltons aren't selling either, raising their stake from 38% to 48% over the same period. Clearly both groups belive the shares are cheap.

What we're seeing now is classical post-bubble P/E compression, and that's carrying over to Wal-Mart as well. I figure large caps in general will be trading sideways for the next several years, with WMT largely doing the same. Believing all of the above, I'm looking to buy another position to play options with.

Re-posted for better spelling and clarification.
4/27/12 7:57 AM
Mind's Eye

Mind's Eye - 
Wes_Mantooth - I would not invest in WMT expecting a short term pop. It is an outstanding long term investment.

That, and what I said earlier. Make this one of your holdings in the slow-but-sure growers part of your portfolio.

One indicator is to watch what the smart money is doing. Wal-Mart has bought back over 3.5 billion shares (22%) over the past 10 years. The Waltons aren't selling either, raising their stake from 38% to 48% over the same period. Clearly both groups belive the shares are cheap.

What we're seeing now is classical post-bubble P/E compression, and that's carrying over to Wal-Mart as well. I figure large caps in general will be trading sideways for the next several years, with WMT largely doing the same. Believing all of the above, I'm looking to buy another position to play options with.

Re-posted for better spelling and clarification.

Sold three days ago. Good company long-term, but they will be dealing with this for at least the next three years. Money can grow better elsewhere.
4/27/12 8:45 PM
Mind's Eye

By "this" I mean the Mexican bribery issue and the way top management handled it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.