UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Final verdict on good protein supplement?

10/6/10 10:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tetris
367 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am currently using Kaizen Whey Isolate and I am getting near the bottom and wanted to know what you guys take. I only take 1 scoop a day post workout.

Is there anything you guys can recommend that is backed up by data? or at least close to the label claims? I just watched "Bigger, Faster, Stronger" and the scene where they are filling the pills with filler and selling that crap for $60 a pop pissed me right off. I want to make sure I am getting the label claim.

Thanks in advance UG
10/14/10 9:43 AM
Outkaster
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I take Optimum. I take 2 a day. For someone reason the prices on protein went up drastically?
1/7/11 8:49 PM
Mocrates
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/07/11 8:50 PM
Protein prices often vary with gas prices because of trucking costs.

Do any solid whey protein.

Isolates are the purest.

If you are an all natural sort of person, do Optimum 100% Whey Natural. It's sweetened with stevia, so no artificial sweeteners.

If you don't care about sweeteners, then you can look in to Whey Hydrolysates (predigested and ready to absorb) like Optimum Hydrowhey, but it is very pricey.

Consumer Labs routinely test supplements for purity, protency and contaminants, so you can check things out there if you want to sign up with them.

Honestly though, all you need to do is stick with the established brands.

Shady brands tend to put everything under the sun in their products and their products read like a laundry list.

Avoid the everything and kitchen sink products.

Do any of the Optimum Whey proteins and you will be just fine.

Hope this helps.
2/20/12 6:03 AM
TommyRSU
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sunwarrior.  Some seriously legitimate shit.

http://www.sunwarrior.com/

You gotta get that Warrior Blend, son!
2/20/12 9:48 AM
tetris
367 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, this thread is back from the dead! After doing a bunch of research it seems that UN is the most trusted brand of them all and the purest with the least amount of contaminants. I also like that they use Stevia as a sweetener.

I will check out SunWarrior protein as well.

Thanks for the info guys, with all the shit out there it's hard to get legit info on sources without doing hours and hours of research.
2/20/12 7:32 PM
turducken

Now Foods 100% organic unflavored whey is the only brand i will use. nothing else has any meaningful certification as to ingredient content, quality and source.
2/20/12 10:10 PM
tetris

turducken - Now Foods 100% organic unflavored whey is the only brand i will use. nothing else has any meaningful certification as to ingredient content, quality and source.

NOW Foods has very high quality supplements but I can't find that protein powder anywhere locally.
2/21/12 12:05 AM
turducken

Edited: 02/21/12 12:06 AM
buy it on amazon. its cheaper and no sales tax.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AC06FS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=gedowa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004AC06FS

2/21/12 12:08 AM
turducken

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GIQT06/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=gedowa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000GIQT06

this is the gold standard whey that is also really popular. ive actually never tried it, but it is supposed to taste good
2/21/12 11:21 AM
traneufcisback

The problem with posts like this is that they presuppose that people have common knowledge of what is considered a quailty protein brand. To be perfectly blunt, almost no one knows. The ONLY people that could tell you would be people who work in a lab and are trained to do biochemicalt esting on food proteins.

I was reading a book about some guy who attempted(and failed) to manufacture his own protein powder. He was SHOCKED to learn what went into some of the biggest and most reputable protein product., lower quality protein, fillers, etc.

The reality is that all these firms need to make a buck and almost everyone in the fitness field who claims to know what is quality is simply talking out his or her ass.

The ONLY way to find out is to have the product tested by a biochem firm, who does independent testing.

2/21/12 11:33 AM
turducken

that is exactly right. there is basically no oversight or regulation in the supplement industry. the best that most supplement companies can do is put meaningless labels on their products, like completely unsupported claims of "from cows not treated with rBGH" or "produced according to GMP standards" which basically means nothing.

but that is why i like NOW Foods 100% organic unflavored unsweetened whey. it is certified usda organic, which at the very least is a real meaningful certification.
2/21/12 4:57 PM
tetris

Yeah, I agree for the most part it's all bullshit and hardly ever near the label claim but I have read that NOW foods rates higher than almost everything out there...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.