UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> fastest remote desktop software?

10/7/10 4:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gitbox
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use Microsoft's RDP client from the office to my home PC (avg 15ms latency) but it locks up every time I click on a thread that has a large picture or a youtube video.

Is there a faster/better remote desktop client? Already tried RealVNC and it wasn't any better.
10/8/10 12:21 PM
gsx_r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RDP uses an API system, that uses less bandwidth then VNC. VNC uses a screenshot type system.

you can mess around with RDP(Bandwidth settings) so that it only displays certain things. However in the end you'll probably be limited by your connection. A packet is simply going to take X amount of time to travel.
10/8/10 12:21 PM
gsx_r

RDP uses an API system, that uses less bandwidth then VNC. VNC uses a screenshot type system.

you can mess around with RDP(Bandwidth settings) so that it only displays certain things. However in the end you'll probably be limited by your connection. A packet is simply going to take X amount of time to travel.
10/9/10 8:35 AM
wheeels

give Teamviewer a try
10/9/10 9:40 AM
Tidbits

I always had good luck with Dameware
10/31/10 6:17 PM
Chad Love

Also logmein free version.
11/1/10 11:10 AM
gitbox
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tried Dameware and LogMeIn and neither one seemed as fast as RDP. RDP is quick enough on a 15ms latency connection. My only problem is clicking on a thread with a large picture and it locks up for probably 15-20 seconds. If it's a website that has a constantly changing graphic or animation, it can take several minutes before I can navigate away from that page.

Someone should just make a remote desktop client that uses H.264 for the video.
11/13/10 12:02 AM
jave
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/13/10 12:02 AM
Have never had a problem with Radmin - google it and try it out. Can edit FPS, screen resolution etc..
11/15/10 6:28 AM
humphrey sphinctermuscle

you aren't going to find a solution in more software. your problem is probably that you're RDPing into your home machine and you simply don't have the upstream bandwidth you need. clicking on threads with large photos saturates your upload cap at home.

there is no solution to that via software.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.