UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Hybrid Drives?

10/9/10 10:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crobrun
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any opinions/reviews. I was looking at the seagate MomentusXT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

Sounds cool (although I'd prefer a SSD, but they are still too expensive/GB), but I want to know if they are reliable and perform well

Thanks!
10/11/10 2:43 PM
Road Warrior Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just ran across this the other night.  

I think they are most def worth it.  Are you going to see performance increases all over the board?  Ehh, not really - will you see some potential power savings, better boot times and access to commonly accessed programs and moving in a pretty speedy fashion? Yep.

10/11/10 8:53 PM
crobrun
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like all those things (better boot and some performance boost). Any downsides to them? Bad reviews, etc.

And thanks for the feedback.
12/3/10 2:31 PM
Trust
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I installed one in my Macbook Pro last night.  Newegg had the 500GB one on sale for $99.

The drive I was replacing was the original 120GB drive - the machine is close to 4 yrs old and the drive seemed to be on the verge on dying as it was getting noticeably slower. 

The new hybrid drive absolutely flies.  After I installed it I did a "learn" regimen where I booted, launched firefox, and then a couple other programs I use, then repeated that 4 more times.  It launched faster each time. 

I ssume it's due to the fact that my old drive was near death, but things like loading web pages while browsing go much faster too now - I'm guessing because it's caching content and the old drive held things up in that regard. 

Anyway, if anyone needs to change out a hard drive in a 4 yr old Macbook Pro, I do not envy you.  It was a freaking pain in the ass and took about an hour. 18 screws to take out, 2 of which are torx heads.  THen you have to carefully take the whole keyboard/base cover off, remove a retaining clip, disconnect two micro connectors and then the SATA connector, transfer these little rubber feet to the new drive, then do it all again in reverse. 
12/3/10 9:07 PM
white belt
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My buddy put one in his Dell running Kubuntu. He is quite happy with it and says he notices a difference over his previous 7200rpm. I considered one when I bought a WD750 but with Seagate's recent issues I thought I'd give the technology time to mature and see some more reviews on Newegg.
12/10/10 9:26 AM
Trust
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So far, so good.  It's working well, and my load times are reasonable, and much faster than the 5400 rpm original drive.  The load times had become unreasonable with new OS updates, and updates in response to that in several applications I run.  It's given my laptop a little more life. 
12/10/10 9:56 PM
crobrun

Trust - thanks for doing the test and the review.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.