UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why the stupid "keyboard warrior" phrase?

10/10/10 1:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
StretchPlum
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/10/10 1:03 AM

when someone says a pitcher is lousy, batter has a shitty swing, President is no good, teacher's an idiot, fullback fumbles too easily, cornerback can't tackle, boxer is a bum, etc...no one yells "Hey have you ever been the President?" "Have you ever played major league baseball?"

Ever see anyone jump up at a sports bar and say "Shut the fuck up. You would throw even more interceptions than Favre!"

Why here do people say it and freak out over normal sports talk? Less intelligent fanbase? More touchy about the sport's acceptance as major league?
10/10/10 1:03 AM
I_Bang_Dudes
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Armchair quarterback.
10/10/10 1:04 AM
bismanfightclub

armchair quarterbacking?
10/10/10 1:05 AM
StretchPlum

True, but people don't get up in arms about it, and that's usually reserved for "I would have done this..."
i.e. second guessing
10/10/10 1:06 AM
StretchPlum

"Talking shit about a damn good fight just makes you a douche, imo. "

Agree. Of course you have to know one when you see one.
10/10/10 1:07 AM
ceiling_cat
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think its more about dudes that get all aggressive about their man crushes on fighters. The guys that can't see another position so they start insulting you or saying they'd kill you on the streets if you ever meet up.
10/10/10 1:15 AM
StretchPlum

Jake, let it go. This is a different topic. It's subjective
what anyone likes. No one cares that I hated it and you liked it. Just expressing ourselves. No need to get personal.

"I think its more about dudes that get all aggressive about their man crushes on fighters. The guys that can't see another position so they start insulting you or saying they'd kill you on the streets if you ever meet up."

That sounds about right.
10/10/10 1:16 AM
Dr Violence
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StretchPlum -  a pitcher is lousy, batter has a shitty swing, President is no good, teacher's an idiot, fullback fumbles too easily, cornerback can't tackle, boxer is a bum

All douchey things to say

You seem to be arguing that schmucks should be allowed to insult anyone they like, but that insulting the schmucks is somehow wrong.
10/10/10 1:22 AM
StretchPlum

"You are a real pussy if you let any of the ridiculous shit that most of the nerds here say bother you. There are fags here with 50,000+ posts and they consider that a good thing, for fuck's sake.Edit: Nevermind, I just noticed you are going on 17,000 posts."

Only 993 away. You're no Euclid. But you still could theoretically have been able to read. Who said anything about bother? I asked if anyone had ideas on why this syndrome exists with posters here.
10/10/10 1:28 AM
StretchPlum

"All douchey things to say. You seem to be arguing that schmucks should be allowed to insult anyone they like, but that insulting the schmucks is somehow wrong."

All I asked was why the response "Were you ever a fighter?" is used here, and no one ever says "Did you ever play quarterback in the NFL?" Nothing to do with right or wrong.
10/10/10 1:33 AM
Dr Violence
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually you asked why the insult 'keyboard warrior' was used, and two people immediately posted that it's the MMA equivalent of 'armchair quarterback'.
10/10/10 1:36 AM
StretchPlum

And I explained why it wasn't the same.
10/10/10 1:55 AM
Dr Violence

I think it mostly is the same, but on consideration I take your point. The man crush factor does seem to play a part. And ironically these types of exchanges tend to be more heated and angry on the internet than in a bar.
10/10/10 2:59 AM
MountainMedic
619 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

backseat poster, imo
10/11/10 3:42 AM
StretchPlum

"Bashing fighters is a low and takes real typing techniques to do..."

Same with poster bashing.
10/11/10 3:58 AM
JSMHP
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When some one shit talks the quarterback I don't think anyone in the room thinks the talker believes he could do a better job. Unlike fighting where many fans also train a little and a lot of keyboard warriors actually think they could do a better job.
10/11/10 9:21 PM
StretchPlum

That's a good point.
10/11/10 9:26 PM
figure four

or in serra's example to laimon: "You are like a swim coach that has never been in the pool"
10/11/10 10:20 PM
Bailx
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Armchair Flying Armbar, loser via Keyboard Typeout

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.