UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Great hand by Phil Ivey

10/11/10 8:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like this hand by Phil, and I'm not being sarcastic. I don't know much about Saout, but the commentator labeled him as a tight player, and with him calmly raising Ivey (who is under the gun), he's definitely representing a big hand. With jacks, Phil has to feel he's either dominated by a bigger pair or facing two overs, so it's tough for him to play out of position unless the flop is perfect. Any board other than one that is jack high or gives him an open ended straight draw is going to be horrible. I like the hand because I know I would have called there, and I think so would most people, but it's probably not a profitable call in most cases when facing a tight player.
10/12/10 5:37 PM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Out of all the hands Phil Ivey has played you have picked the one where he clearly misread his opponent as his best hand?  Phil wasn't considering calling.  He was either going to shove or fold.  Saout probably knew that Phil would play tight which is why he was able to pull this off.  Phil obviously regrets playing this hand like he did.  He never did find a better spot than this.
10/12/10 6:06 PM
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL. Nice results oriented trolling.
10/12/10 6:14 PM
andre

And yes, troll, I clearly said it's his BEST hand.
10/12/10 6:30 PM
WrestlingSucks
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i cant remember what the bets were in relation to his stack size but i do recall thinking ivey was about to shove it right back in his face.

if anything, i thought it was a ballsy move by frenchy, though. it does mask his hand if ivey just calls but there is no way ivey was going to just call there.
10/12/10 11:19 PM
VectorWega

Here is Ivey's best hand.  This is another classic Andre troll thread.  He obviously doesn't like Phil Ivey.
10/13/10 12:28 AM
andre

Vector,

That probably is Phil's best hand. It's awesome.

I think the hand I posted was a great one, even though Phil's read was wrong. He had to know that Saout would expect him to shove over his reraise, so he has to put Saout on a hand that can call a shove. As WrestlingSucks said, it was a ballsy move by the Frenchman and I am sure that 9/10 he does that he will have two overs or a bigger pair to Ivey's jacks. I love the laydown.
10/13/10 12:52 AM
SiftMyMind

Edited: 10/13/10 12:55 AM
10/13/10 12:56 AM
SiftMyMind

That hand Vector posted was sick.
Both players reraising each other with nothing.

Ivey made a good read in that one.
10/13/10 1:37 AM
SiftMyMind

There is also some very good poker in High Stakes Poker - Season 6 where Ivey spanks both Phil Hellmuth and Jason Mercier.
However, in the same season, he does let Tom "durrrr" Dwan pull off a bluff against him (with nothing) for a pot of about $400,000 (the pot was $676,000 including Dwan's bluff bet which Ivey would have collected if he had called Dwan's bluff.)
10/17/10 8:15 PM
andre

PR, any thoughts on this hand? Thanks. Wrekker?
11/5/10 2:43 PM
GrapplerHK

lol insanse hand
11/5/10 2:52 PM
andre

I maintain that it is a great hand. :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.