UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Backswing Drills

10/11/10 1:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Triple X Guard
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reviewing a video on my first lesson two things were apparent.

I was too upright, spine angle was all wrong. I've been given a practical drill for my setup to make sure that's addressed.

As I begin my back swing, my left wrist gets involved and the club face opens. I was told that when my back swing is a quarter done, i.e shaft runs parrallel to the floor, that the angle of the blade should match my spine angle.

What I'm after is a drill or a fix if you like to stop me opening the club face on my backswing. I have the "check" which is fine, but it's not a drill for me to develop muscle memory. I was told to practise swinging from the shoulders and just trying small chip shots with a 7 iron to improve this.

But, I'd also like a drill I can practise at home. I've seen one on YouTube of putting the left thumb tip into your chest and standing with your right side against the wall and rotating until the forearm meets the wall. Which feels good, just a little out of context.

Any advice appreciated!
10/11/10 6:04 PM
Animal Chin
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

put a head cover a few feet behind the club in the path of the backswing when you're at address. try to move the head cover. if you're picking it right up at takeaway, you'll miss the head cover or whatever you're using.

another one is to set up over the ball like you normally would. put the clubhead where you normally would. then, set the club in the swing path about 3 inches behind the ball. when you take the club back from there, you'll have already been in a position to take it back with more of an extension. once you get a good feel for a better extension, then go back to your normal setup.

less wrists, more shoulders and extended/straight left arm. if you're picking it right up and opening the face right away with your wrists, it's hard to make good things happen.
10/12/10 2:17 PM
Triple X Guard
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the advice, I'll try them out!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.