UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Tell me more about Earth's magnetic poles changing

10/14/10 10:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cire
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have heard more and more about the possibility of the Earth's magnetic poles moving to an eventual complete change in positions. Some scientists say this is a bigger problem than global warming, what are your thoughts on this belief?

Can you explain how scientist are discovering this phenomenon? ...and what exactly it is?
10/14/10 10:49 PM
Ethan Crane
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataclysmic_pole_shift_hypothesis

10/14/10 11:00 PM
Respect
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1) Earth doesn't rotate solely around the north-south pole axis. It rotates around two other axis near the equator

2) At certain times one of the equatorial moments of inertia can become close to the value of the moment of inertia around the north south pole (sometimes the Earth spins around it's equatorial axis faster than normal)

3) this throw everything out of whack and the geographical positions of the north and south poles can change.

4) this is a slow process and I think it's only dangerous if it happens really quick.
10/14/10 11:04 PM
midwestbred
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's happened a bunch of times during the history of the Earth. Core samples from the ocean floor have shown this.
10/14/10 11:25 PM
LoganClark
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't believe they aren't life trolling.
10/15/10 12:38 AM
Respect

those guys are truly epic
10/15/10 12:52 AM
gregbrady
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ those guys
10/15/10 12:55 AM
Redneck
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TapouT Radio, Co-Host
It's happened a few times before, no big deal. It's just nature starting with a clean sheet again. Thats what wiped out the dinosaurs and caused the great flood, among other things.
10/15/10 12:58 AM
gregbrady
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes it also wiped out Atlantis and killed Zeus
10/15/10 1:05 AM
sledhead

magnets, how do they work?
10/15/10 1:09 AM
Redneck
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TapouT Radio, Co-Host
gregbrady - yes it also wiped out Atlantis and killed Zeus

LOL @ thinking Zeus is dead.
10/15/10 1:13 AM
flesheatingbull

midwestbred - It's happened a bunch of times during the history of the Earth. Core samples from the ocean floor have shown this.

10/15/10 1:18 AM
Frantic

role model - Where does the moon hide at night? Did people really used to live in black and white? Phone Post

Being so bright, it hides in plain sight.
10/15/10 7:43 AM
David@AccutestMi

Respect - 1) Earth doesn't rotate solely around the north-south pole axis. It rotates around two other axis near the equator

2) At certain times one of the equatorial moments of inertia can become close to the value of the moment of inertia around the north south pole (sometimes the Earth spins around it's equatorial axis faster than normal)

3) this throw everything out of whack and the geographical positions of the north and south poles can change.

4) this is a slow process and I think it's only dangerous if it happens really quick.

Its actually more dangerous if it happens slow. The switch causes the magnetosphere to stop working which means earth gets bombared with solar radiation thats normally blocked. The longer it's down the more radiation we get hit with. Not only does it have harmful effects for life but for the planet as well. The loss of our magnetosphere will cause the earths temp to rise. Polar caps melt, oceans flood over, ect ect.
10/15/10 7:49 AM
LoganClark
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I found out that we are overdue for a switch, I got pumped. Somehow, sadly, I don't think I'll be here when it happens.
10/15/10 8:41 AM
Pig Bun
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/15/10 8:43 AM
www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/fosrec/Metzger3.html 

Info on the records of past pole-switches, how the has recorded them, and such.

10/15/10 9:01 AM
Pig Bun
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/reversals.html 

The British don't think it will be too big of a deal, though.
10/15/10 9:05 AM
copfriend

everything will simply turn upside down.  we will all start walking on our hands.  no big deal.
10/15/10 11:23 AM
AlbertEinstein

What the OP is talking about has nothing to do with the north/south poles changing. The magnetic poles are not the same as the north/south poles, which is why a compass does not point to the north pole. The magnetic poles do change very slowly over time and they will eventually point in the reverse of their current direction. However, contrary to what somebody said, I don't think the magnetoshpere dies out and then regrows in the opposite direction, I think it just rotates which is no big deal.
10/16/10 4:51 PM
Cire
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pls keep it coming.
10/16/10 5:32 PM
kalki

Edited: 10/16/10 5:42 PM
try this home experiment and see for ya-self.....put a magnate on the floor[this will be the giant blackhole]....now take a compass [this will be the earth]and make a circle around the magnate....notice how it changes from north to south as you pass the 180'degrree point on the circle.......well if the earth's core is made of iron,this is what will happen.......micro to macro.......
10/16/10 6:12 PM
Respect

True Polar wander (defined as the motion of the entire solid earth with respect to the spin axis in response to changes in mass distribution within the planet in an attempt to maintain rotational equilibrium) has long been considered a process that should compliment plate tectonics. However, large amounts of TPW have not been observed confidently in the geologic record. I have been working on two different techniques to help recognize the magnitude and geometry of true polar wander events in the past.

http://geoweb.princeton.edu/people/maloof/tpw.html

http://geoweb.princeton.edu/people/maloof/images/tpw_theory.jpg
12/29/10 12:03 AM
MoreThanUFC

Read the Fingerprints of the Gods.
1/8/11 12:16 AM
Redneck

Its happening now.

End of times my friends.

End times.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.