UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> American Grace

10/15/10 11:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ridgeback
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody read this book?  It has a bunch of new information on religious life in America.  Here is a list of some of the findings:

Between one-third and one-half of all American marriages are interfaith;

Roughly one-third of Americans have switched religions at some point in their lives;

Young people are more opposed to abortion than their parents but more accepting of gay marriage;

Even fervently religious Americans believe that people in other faiths can get to heaven;

Religious Americans are better neighbors than secular Americans—more generous with their time and treasure, even for secular causes—but the explanation has less to do with faith than with communities of faith;

Jews are the most broadly popular religious group in America today.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Grace-Religion-Divides-Unites/dp/1416566716/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287199010&sr=8-1

10/17/10 3:23 AM
Juijitsuboxer
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Even fervently religious Americans believe that people in other faiths can get to heaven"

So true. I am telling you the truth, every Catholic person I have ever met, no matter how devout, is completely universalist. I have been told by them that they are worshipping God in their own way and God loves them for it.

I always brought up the fact that many of these faiths say bad things about Jesus or deny his Lordship, but they say they are fine doing that, God still appreciates their worship.

Yet these same people are constantly terrified that they may have committed a mortal sin and will go to hell if they die unless they get to confession. No matter how much they love Jesus and are covered by his grace, they assume they could drop into hell at any moment due to their small sins, like his death was not enough to take care of that.

Sorry for the rant.
10/17/10 3:47 PM
Grakman

'What's true for you is true for you, and what's true for me is true for me. It's all relative, baby!'
10/17/10 9:03 PM
reverend john
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what a good friend said to me, " and don't give me your 'well your common sense may not be mine' its common idiot, thats why they call it common"

I chuckled a bit

rev
10/17/10 9:10 PM
Grakman

I was surprised that only 1/3 of Americans have switched religions at some point in their lives, unless they do not consider going from Catholic, say, to Baptist or other Protestant denomination. Do they consider Catholic - Baptist marriages 'inter-faith?'

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.