UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> My humble thoughts on 10th Planet

10/16/10 2:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OnDaMat
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After owning 'Mastering the Rubber Guard' for about 2 years I have finally started to implement some aspects of 10th Planet JJ into my game and I thought I'd share my opinions as someone playing with the material for the first time.

1) I mistakenly assumed that Eddie's stuff was for the super flexible (which I am not!) and not compatible with my preferred game (I'm more of a grinder). However, recently I have been playing more open/half guard and have revisited the material. I've found that, despite it's reputation, Eddie's stuff is very accessible to the non flexible grappler. Lockdown, old school, and the electric chair are all now things I am having some success with. This has inspired me to work on my flexibility. I always emphasised over/under hooks as part of my game so a lot of Eddie's game makes sense to me even if I can't touch my toes!

2) Eddie's reputation as a rebel in the jiujitsu community. I see his innovative attitude towards jiujitsu as tremendously healthy for our community. Even if the techniques themselves are not for you (and they wont be for everyone), we need people like him to be experimenting and pushing things forward. This can only be good for jiujitsu and will stop the art from stagnating. Having wrestled before getting into jiujitsu, I can only say this is a good thing for the art's effectiveness in the long run.

In short, I overlooked 10th Planet as just the rubber guard and the twister, but I now see it is much more than that. I'm taking baby steps but by incorporating a few techniques into my game I am able to grow in areas that I used to be weak in. Eddie's enthusiasm for jiujitsu comes across when he talks about it and it inspires me to watch other grapplers more closely and try to incorporate what they do into my game.

Cheers and keep doing what you are doing Eddie!

ODM
10/16/10 5:47 AM
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Flexability will help your game everywhere,and helps prevent back pain (stretch your back too!) Better stop coming to your own conclusions about things,the BJJ police are always lurking...
10/16/10 6:32 AM
OnDaMat
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They'll never take me alive!
10/16/10 9:38 AM
ChrisHerzog
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu Rochester, Head Instructor
OnDaMat - After owning 'Mastering the Rubber Guard' for about 2 years I have finally started to implement some aspects of 10th Planet JJ into my game and I thought I'd share my opinions as someone playing with the material for the first time.

1) I mistakenly assumed that Eddie's stuff was for the super flexible (which I am not!) and not compatible with my preferred game (I'm more of a grinder). However, recently I have been playing more open/half guard and have revisited the material. I've found that, despite it's reputation, Eddie's stuff is very accessible to the non flexible grappler. Lockdown, old school, and the electric chair are all now things I am having some success with. This has inspired me to work on my flexibility. I always emphasised over/under hooks as part of my game so a lot of Eddie's game makes sense to me even if I can't touch my toes!

2) Eddie's reputation as a rebel in the jiujitsu community. I see his innovative attitude towards jiujitsu as tremendously healthy for our community. Even if the techniques themselves are not for you (and they wont be for everyone), we need people like him to be experimenting and pushing things forward. This can only be good for jiujitsu and will stop the art from stagnating. Having wrestled before getting into jiujitsu, I can only say this is a good thing for the art's effectiveness in the long run.

In short, I overlooked 10th Planet as just the rubber guard and the twister, but I now see it is much more than that. I'm taking baby steps but by incorporating a few techniques into my game I am able to grow in areas that I used to be weak in. Eddie's enthusiasm for jiujitsu comes across when he talks about it and it inspires me to watch other grapplers more closely and try to incorporate what they do into my game.

Cheers and keep doing what you are doing Eddie!

ODM

welcome to the Dark Side!
10/18/10 2:18 AM
OnDaMat

There are no sides bro...just a continuous circle of existence... :p

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.