UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Winning Silver at Naga ATL

10/19/10 10:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Griffin10thP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn6GJbEPfgU

My first match at Naga in the intermediate division. Please critique, I just train with friends, Thanks!
10/19/10 11:52 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You just train with friends and compete at intermediate? Might wanna sign yourself up at a legit gym. Shoulda gone for an armbar while you had him in a triangle. Overall nice job tho.
10/20/10 11:56 AM
Griffin10thP

Every time I compete I win at least a few matches and the fact that I can beat guys who training under black belts when we're teaching ourselves through vidoes/books gives me a sense of accomplishment. I like to train 10th Planet is the main reason and theres not a school in Georgia. Yeah I probably should mixed it up, attack an arm, try to sweep but I though he was close to tapping a few times so I kept with the dominant angle triangle. Thanks for the advice/support.

Griffin
10/20/10 12:16 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use rubber guard a lot too but train in a school that doesn't teach/promote rubber guard. There are a lot of other important positions besides guard. You'd get a lot better if you trained in a legit place- even if it's not a 10th planet place (you can still use 10th planet moves- they're just not taught). I've had success using rubber guard in NAGA but actually training in a real dojo makes a huge difference.
10/20/10 12:37 PM
Griffin10thP

I bet. I train with friends who do train at dojos though. I don't have any belts but I can tap blue belts, they can tap me but I can get them regularly. Yeah I know there are many important positions beyond the guard. I'm a top game jiu jitsu guy but my takedowns suck so I end up pulling guard a lot of the time. Which is fine I think you have to be effective off your back even though it's more difficult. Regardless I'm in love with Jiu Jitsu and a humble student of the art. I have a long way to go but I see myself improving each training session. All the schools around me are gi based too and I'm only interested in no gi.
10/20/10 12:50 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

Alright bro, you definitely did good. Good luck in future competetions.
10/20/10 1:10 PM
Griffin10thP

Thanks buddy. I'm competing again a week from saturday, I'll be sure to post my vidz.
10/20/10 4:43 PM
Kintanon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Hardcore Gym in Athens does a good bit of rubber guard stuff in their Jits classes. Adam and Rory are on good terms with Eddie B. last time I checked and hit up seminars pretty regularly. Adam has a preposterous rubber guard considering what a big dude he is and both him and Rory are legit black belts. If you are in Georgia and want to work rubber guard that's your place.
10/21/10 3:36 PM
Adam Singer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Josh.
Adam
11/10/10 6:46 AM
FullBlastJKD

not to mention the remainder of your game will jump up about 200%

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.