UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> How to deal with railbirds?

10/19/10 12:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
464 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm talking about live tournaments, and not people who just want to watch, but people who wait for the tourney to end so that they can ask for "lucky chips" from the players at the final table.

In the unlikely event that I cash again, how do I politely say no? I hate it. Some of the players are people I recognize from better times, when they were playing alongside me at the $200 and even $500 tables. I dont know if the recession hit them, or if they just went broke from poker, but they root you on and then you feel a certain stupid obligation to give them some money. I ended up giving $50 to these guys ($50 total). Not a lot of money, but damn it's ridiculous that I should even feel obligated to give anything.

Also, how much to tip the dealers and staff?
10/19/10 3:57 PM
wreckker
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you can always say you have a backer to the railbirds, or just say no.

Tipping depends on how much juic ethey take out of the tourney, if they already take for the staff then a extra 2% is fine 5% if they dont take out for dealers.  Some people tip nmore some stiff,  I think they should get something but when the juice is high already i gove 2 % if anything.

10/19/10 7:20 PM
PR
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just say no and get used to it to saying it.

I was just talking to a buddy who's a vg experienced MTT player, he said he checks the structure... oftentimes they take out 3% already from the prize pool for the dealers/staff. If they do, he doesn't tip extra since the gratuity is essentially already included in the bill... if they dont he'll tip 3%
10/19/10 7:22 PM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just tell them that you are a big donkey and a losing player that can't afford to give away money.  As proof supply them with some of the hand histories you have posted here.
10/19/10 7:28 PM
andre
464 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks PR and wreckker!

Vector, damn...I thought we were over the nastiness. :(
10/19/10 8:02 PM
PR
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So many players get fucked lending other poker players money... dont fall into that trap andre.
10/19/10 8:06 PM
JHR
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats Andre!

Listen, can you spot me 50 lucky bucks?

;)

10/19/10 8:23 PM
VectorWega

Andre you are a huge winner.  You need to spread the wealth.  Stop being so stingy!
10/20/10 8:09 AM
andre

VectorWega -  Andre you are a huge winner.  You need to spread the wealth.  Stop being so stingy!

Thats better! ;)
10/20/10 8:11 AM
andre

Thanks, PR. I hate seeing them sitting there watching the final table and knowing that they are going to ask for money soon. It makes me feel horrible and Im sure they feel terrible as well. Sucks.

JHR, anytime!
10/20/10 12:07 PM
JHR
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andre,

My mother in law won 180G a few years ago and she STILL gets people calling her house asking if she can put a new roof on their house, or give them 10G for a vacation...

Complete strangers.

The gall of these people is unreal.  In the end, you take care of the people you know will take care of you, to the rest..fuck'em

11/5/10 12:46 AM
stillmatic
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just don't lend money to anyone these days other than family. It's just not worth the hassle of having to remember and ask for repayment, I mean how many people actually remember their debts and pay them back on their own without being asked. It's -EV all the way when you consider the best result would be getting your money back eventually and even then you could have used that money for something else to make yourself more money.
11/5/10 3:56 PM
PoWdA101
910 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My mother owes me $130,000 that I will never see. This money was taken from a trust fund early and if I would have allowed the money to mature it was just about 1 million dollars. I would be receiving $1,000 a month plus anywhere from $30,000 - $60,000 on my birthdays. I didn't liquidate it all, when I am 60-65 I get $60,000 a year on my b-day (for hookers and blow obv) but for now I just eat the debt.

If you want to talk about lending people money talk to me. What did I learn? Don't lend money to people who can't pay you back :)

11/6/10 12:03 AM
cyberslinger

I always say...   "This doesn't even get me even!"   LIE.
11/8/10 12:21 PM
PoWdA101
910 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's like panhandlers... I ask them "what makes you think I don't need a quarter?"

Seriously, f em.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.