UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Best state for Muay Thai

10/19/10 1:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hitmeharder
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What state has the most/best Muay Thai schools? A few states come to mind NY, MA, Ca...
10/19/10 2:23 PM
Khun Kao
1001 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMHO...

#1 - California

#2 - New York/New Jersey (NY City area)

#3 - Massachusettes

#4 - Virginia/Pennsylvania
10/19/10 2:31 PM
hitmeharder

A little surprised to see Cali on the top.. I know they own BJJ but not MT. Number 4 really is a surprise...
10/19/10 2:43 PM
Khun Kao
1001 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cali really is where its at for Muay Thai primarily b/c that is where most Thai immigrants wind up. There are quality MT gyms all over the place.

NYC area is a very close #2 because they not only have a lot of quality gyms, but have an active amateur AND professional fight scene. Cali is really hurting as far as developing their amateur fighters, IME

I may be overrating VA/PA, but there are quite a lot of really good MT programs in these states. VA has a more active fight scene though....
10/21/10 8:21 AM
x FOX x
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's best in Vegas? Phone Post
10/21/10 1:52 PM
nakmuay26
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The U.S. is too big and varied to be judging "best" by states.

California has quality, NYC has quality, Las Vegas has quality. The big name states have some serious trainers and teams.

That said, it would be a mistake to not acknowledge a place like Kentucky where they have solid training as well.

You might have one gym way out in the middle of no where, but compared to the concentration in a larger area they still come out way ahead based on skill, experience, abilities.

I would seek out particular coaches and teams rather than measure by state.

10/31/10 7:52 AM
BrianDuhBum

#3 Massachusetts Best Muay Thai Schools

Sityodtong

Boston Muay Thai/Fairtex

Wai Kru

10/31/10 5:04 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If  VA is a good state for muay thai, then the state of muay thai in the US is.. deplorable.

I just watched several "muay thai" fights yesterday by the biggest promotion in Northern Virginia and 95% of the matches were attrocious. Bad toughman flailing with some awful, weak leg kicks.  Only one gym came out and actually used muay thai style and tactics in an attempt to fight and they were from NC (SC?)
11/1/10 9:00 AM
Khun Kao

Edited: 11/01/10 9:02 AM
Oh, c'mon.... lighten up! The fights weren't *that* bad!

Let's take into consideration that most of the fighters at this weekends event were novices. Even the NC gym's fighters were sloppy. Let's also consider that the fights were promoted by an organization that, while being pretty well-run, is still small and trying to establish itself.

Personal differences aside, Virginia has a lot of quality Muay Thai programs and has produced some EXCELLENT Muay Thai fighters, some of which have moved on to much bigger and better things out-of-state.

I rate VA "up" on the list because:

1. There are quite a number of quality MT programs throughout the state. Yes, there are also plenty of sub-par programs, but the quality programs are there.

2. A number of excellent fighters have come from this state. Brandon Vera (UFC) started as a Muay Thai fighter out of VA Beach. Sean Yarborough (pro MT fighter) who now fights for Master Toddy in Las Vegas was originally a VA fighter (who btw lost his 1st amateur bout to one of my teammates). Amir Sodallah (sp?) has just entered the UFC, but started as a Muay Thai fighter from VA. There are many others, of course.

3. Virginia's MT Fight scene is pretty active. It's not as active as NY or California, of course, but Virginia has an edge in that it promotes both amateur and professional Muay Thai (not all states offer both), and VA is one of the few states that allows full Thai rules matches.

Sorry, I'm not trying to get my panties in a bunch, but I just feel its a bit short-sighted to rag on MT in Virginia because the novices are fighting the way you would expect novices to fight and not looking at the bigger picture.
11/1/10 9:44 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/10 9:48 AM
 What did Vera and Sadollah ever do in Muay Thai that deserves mentioning? and if you bring up some awful USWXX  kickboxing organization championship I'm going to laugh Brooks, because if these are their competition than anyone of even remote athletic skill can be an american muay thai "champ".  Did they ever fight international competition?Actual Thai fighters? Dutch?  they were so good at muay thai they switched to MMA? :) I've got a few tough MMA fighters that would buzzsaw through 90% of those guys with just superior boxing and endurance alone and they've never done muay thai. 

and you're missing the point. we expect novices to be.. well novice.  BUT what I expect all thai fighters to do regardless of skill level is to fight with muay thai style - fighting in a way that respects the scoring of real muay thai, uses effective clinch knees and kicking rather than an awkward half-assed kick into a chain of mindless arm flailing.   

Ever see the little tiny thai kids around a camp? Ever watch how they play fight? Notice that it's exactly like the real fighters train. They don't just waddle over to each other and start playing rock em sock em robots.
11/1/10 10:10 AM
Khun Kao

Bull_in_chinashop -  
and you're missing the point. we expect novices to be.. well novice.  BUT what I expect all thai fighters to do regardless of skill level is to fight with muay thai style - fighting in a way that respects the scoring of real muay thai, uses effective clinch knees and kicking rather than an awkward half-assed kick into a chain of mindless arm flailing.

OK, I gotta admit that I agree with you 100% on this. However, I see things from the persepective of a fighter that came up through a system that did not encourage fighters to fight in the genuine Thai style. For the longest time, fight organizations did not use genuine Thai standards in their officiating or scoring, and now we're seeing the results.

Ever see the little tiny thai kids around a camp? Ever watch how they play fight? Notice that it's exactly like the real fighters train. They don't just waddle over to each other and start playing rock em sock em robots.

You know I haven't been to Thailand yet. Stop rubbing it in. :)

Anyway, I actually agree with what you're saying and understand where you're coming from. I guess my point is that I'm looking at things from the "glass 1/2 full" perspective. The fact that we have a number of good MT programs, a relatively active fight scene, and have now been making an effort to promote and enforce genuine Thai standards to our fighting will make a difference and pay dividends.
11/1/10 10:51 AM
Bull_in_chinashop

Edited: 11/01/10 11:18 AM
thanks for not taking it personal! My point was just that for saying VA is a top state, the level of muay thai skill seemed pretty low.

If you're in a position to change this my first suggestion would be to hold sanctioned smoker events Frequently for these novice fighters but ensure that the judges there score the thai way.

ex. one aggressive brawler from school x vs. a student from school y.  fighter X comes in swinging and working but fighter Y is calm and uses body kicks to score, certainly not as many, but he's looking for more clean kicks and in the clinch instead of fighter x dirty boxing, y is showing dominant control and knees. again maybe not landing more but cleaner, more effective shots.  Fighter Y should win, and Fighter x and his school should know why he lost.

That way when you have an actual event the fighters are trained to compete under the proper criteria. - they don't walk into your event or your scoring rules completely cold - they've been competing under these rules and are working up to events. 

*edit*

And forget about "workshops" etc. Many of these intrsuctors ego's are way to full of shit to let them even consider that they don't know how to score a fight etc. - Just show them thru results what will score and won't. possibly a well presented fighter's meeting before the smokers and after the fight when they're upset, you can remind them that you explained this and now they'll be ready for the next smoker in 2 months etc..
11/1/10 11:40 AM
Bull_in_chinashop

Khun Kao - The fact that we have a number of good MT programs, a relatively active fight scene, and have now been making an effort to promote and enforce genuine Thai standards to our fighting will make a difference and pay dividends.
IMHO we've got an active scene..  of kickboxers, not legit muay thai fighters. Look at their roots and they're almost all coming from tkd, jkd, karate, mma, etc. 

11/1/10 12:34 PM
Khun Kao

I enjoyed talking (and debating a little) with you today, Bull. You and are really are on the same page on this.

And forget about "workshops" etc. Many of these intrsuctors ego's are way to full of shit to let them even consider that they don't know how to score a fight etc. - Just show them thru results what will score and won't. possibly a well presented fighter's meeting before the smokers and after the fight when they're upset, you can remind them that you explained this and now they'll be ready for the next smoker in 2 months etc..

This is typically EXACTLY what I do prior to a fight event. Coaches and fighters participating in my events get CONSTANT email messages (reminders) regarding how the event will be scored, and it is reviewed AGAIN during the rules meeting.

(this is probably why I don't get complaints regarding the officiating of my events)

Like we discussed, its a matter of changing the CULTURE of the Muay Thai fight scene. It's going to be a process, but hopefully more and more people will get on-board!
11/3/10 10:26 AM
Khun Kao

11/3/10 11:49 AM
Khun Kao

OK, so maybe the fighting leaves a lot to be desired, but the referee was amazing!
11/4/10 10:29 AM
jhendo79
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wisconsin
11/4/10 9:17 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

by far the most entertaining and skillful fight of that event.
11/5/10 9:32 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope his coach remembers not to tell him to absorb the leg kicks the next time he is matched with a knockdown Katate fighter....
11/8/10 2:24 AM
jhendo79
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the states? Wisconsin
11/8/10 2:25 AM
jhendo79

Duke Roufus
11/13/10 9:54 AM
CaptainChaos

Don't forget Fighting Arts Academy in Massachusetts.

Khun, I will be moving down to NoVA after college, I was wondering what in your opinion are the best Muay Thai schools down there? I'm semi familiar with the schools in the Va Beach area, but not up north at all.
11/13/10 2:56 PM
letsgobois

Alberta, Canada
11/13/10 10:13 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

CaptainChaos - Don't forget Fighting Arts Academy in Massachusetts.

Khun, I will be moving down to NoVA after college, I was wondering what in your opinion are the best Muay Thai schools down there? I'm semi familiar with the schools in the Va Beach area, but not up north at all.
Matt Neilsen @ Fairfax JiuJitsu.  Best fighters, best authentic Muay Thai training (not glorified kick boxing), best clinching, best facilities.

11/14/10 9:50 AM
CaptainChaos

Outstanding, thank you Mr. Bull. I didn't realize VA was a hotbed. As a side note, are there any reputable boxing gyms around too? I prefer more of a Holland style and would love to be able to work some boxing too

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.