UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Monte Scheinblum and his Blog

10/19/10 6:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bubbamaker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/19/10 6:55 PM

Hello fellow golfers.

I don't know why I'm not a regular here, but I'll try to do better. I'm back to playing regular golf after mainly competing in long drive events for several years (and not taking the time to play golf). I've enjoyed reading some of the threads here, and I have something that will help a lot of folks.

I've been reading Monte Scheinblum's blog for quite awhile, and it's helped me a lot. He's a former long drive world champion and Nationwide Tour player. He's on the comeback trail, and I caddied for him at a Nationwide Monday qualifier. I think his nerves got the best of him, but I believe great things will happen for him in the future.

Here are his comments after that qualifier:

montescheinblum.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/terrible/ 
10/19/10 6:24 PM
Bubbamaker

Edited: 10/19/10 6:57 PM
So anyway, here's a link to his blog.  Some of his videos are excellent, and there is a LOT of information here.  I suggest just reading a few things at a time.  Some of the previous pages on his blog have a lot more videos.  I like them the best.  He will also analyze a video of your swing to help you out (I think he charges for that).  He will answer any question if you're not a smartass.  He really wants to help.

montescheinblum.wordpress.com/

He's a nice guy, but kind of ornery.  I played a practice round with him on the day before the qualifier, and someone hit into us.  He left their ball on a tee in the fairway, and that seemed to scare them.  They stayed far behind us from then on.  It was pretty funny.
10/21/10 9:15 AM
Animal Chin
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'll analyze your swing too. i don't charge for it, unless you're standing in front of me and my neat video toys.

i competed in ld competitions in the late 90's and early 00's. when and where did you compete?
10/21/10 10:23 AM
Bubbamaker

Edited: 10/21/10 10:55 AM
I've competed in a lot of LDA events. I believe my first event was in 2002, and it was called the Branson Shootout (in Branson, MO).

In 2003 or 2004, they had an actual tour of 8 events or so, and I went to 4 of those (after going to Q school in Mesquite, Nevada). It was fun, but I couldn't quite keep up with the top guys. I've done the Remax thing a lot, too, but I haven't made it to Mesquite for the World Championships yet. I was the first alternate twice in the regionals in St. Louis. Oh so close.

It's been a lot of fun, and it gives something to train for. I may never have enough swing speed, but it's fun trying to improve.
10/21/10 12:21 PM
Bubbamaker

Btw, if anyone is interested in long drive stuff, the top forum is probably incepta.ca.  It's an interesting place, and the Remax World Championships are coming up.

I asked a question on there yesterday, and one guy jokingly told me to take two weeks off, then quit.  LOL.

www.incepta.ca/forum/index.php

10/22/10 4:53 PM
Animal Chin
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lda was fister's thing, right? or maybe his was ldt. either way, i never competed in his thing.

the last year i competed i got put out at the regionals by pat dempsey. he hit one 423 at around 3 in the morning. we were delayed all fucking evening due to a bad storm but had to finish.

that guy could take it deep. he put out everyone that night. there were guys like greg wellong, john hansen, jamie chandler.... some other guys that i can't think of. i just remember there being a lot of names at that one.
10/22/10 5:20 PM
Bubbamaker

Edited: 10/22/10 5:35 PM
Very cool. Yes, the LDA (Long Drivers of America) is the main group for all of the guys you mentioned. They also run the Remax World Championships.

Pat builds all of my drivers. He's a great guy. He had a gig on the PGA Tour this year representing UST shafts and helping players. He's quite a club builder (www.horsepowergolf.com).
10/22/10 6:01 PM
Animal Chin

yeah, that i know. i didn't know if you competed on sean's thing. he started a tour about 6-7 years ago. he had quite a few stops and some nice payouts. i don't think he has it anymore.

i play sometimes with a guy sean sponsors. you know brooks baldwin?

and what are you hitting? my main driver was a 4 degree zeider with a harrison shaft. lost it in a fire. i still have a 5.5 crunch around my house somewhere.
10/22/10 6:12 PM
Bubbamaker

I never competed on Sean's tour, just LDA events. There are a lot of good tournaments now, and I plan on trying them out next year.

I know who Brooks is, but I've never met him. He's one of the top guys.

I've mostly used SMT Deep Bore's and Cobras in the past. It seems that Krank, Geek, MOI and Adams are the drivers of choice now. I had knee surgery a couple of years ago (Jiu-Jitsu injury), and I lost some of my speed. So, I'm working hard now to get my speed back (and more) for next year. I'll buy some new equipment in the spring. I usually use 6 or 7 degree drivers with 260 cpm's for shaft flex. I think that's around XX.
10/22/10 6:20 PM
Bubbamaker

A few months ago, I wrote about my first pro long drive tournament in my facebook notes (just for fun). Some of my friends enjoyed reading about it, so I'll post it here. It's kind of long, but you might find it entertaining.
10/22/10 6:24 PM
Bubbamaker

Edited: 10/23/10 10:21 AM
The Branson Shootout
--------------------

I've always been able to hit a golf ball pretty far, and I had seen the ReMax World Long Drive Championships on TV. So, I really wanted to give it a try.

I bought a driver like the club that had won the Remax championship in 2001 (a 5.5 degree Ping Isi Tech with a Penley shaft), and I practiced swinging it all winter. As a slow pitch softball player, I didn't know how to swing really hard without striding into the ball. So, that's what I did. I didn't know anything about swing speed, ball speed, lag, or getting fitted with the perfect equipment. I just knew I had a driver that I liked, and I felt like I could kill the ball with my striding swing.

The LDA (Long Drivers of America) announced a pro tournament at the Branson Creek Golf Club for 2002 (just a one hour drive from my house), so this was my chance. I entered the Branson Shootout (Open Division), and I immediately started getting nervous. I had no idea what to expect, but I knew this was my chance to try a professional sport. I also knew I was going to compete against the best in the world in the Open division.

When I arrived, I went to the warm-up area and found my name on a card at one of the practice areas (very cool). No one knew me, and no one even spoke to me. They were watching my striding swing, though, and probably laughing when I wasn't looking. :-)

I had family and friends in the stands, and I was as nervous as I could be. But, I hit the ball really well warming up, and I felt like I was ready to go. I also had a ton of adrenaline working for me.

I was on the tee with Adriaan Van Rensburg, a huge guy from South Africa. Not only was he big, but this was before they limited the length of the drivers. His drivers were 60" long! Wow!!! He also had a lot of them. In fact, everyone had a bag full of drivers except me. I just had one. I'm glad it didn't break. I would have been done for the day. Whew!

I don't remember the first few balls I hit (we got to hit 6), but I finally nailed one. They reported back that it went 378 yards. I was in shock. Adriaan beat me, though (385 yards), and I had to wait to see if I would advance.

I did advance to the next round, and I went back to warm up. This time, the guy next to me warming up was World Champion Jason Zuback. I had never seen anything like him in person. He literally came off the ground when he swung. That scared me to death. I also tried to keep up with him warming up which is a very, very, very bad thing to do. He can hit balls all day and not get tired. By the time I got to the tee, I was spent. I didn't even get a ball in the grid. But, I had fun.

I also became addicted to long drive that day. It's a fun sport.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.