UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Phil Baroni: Too Old for the Jersey Shore

10/20/10 10:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CagePotato
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amazing interview with the NYBA, covering his brawl-based gameplans, his conditioning struggles, his fondest MMA memories, his UFC 121 picks and more. A couple highlights below...
10/20/10 10:41 AM
CagePotato
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On his conditioning struggles: "It's genetic, dude. I've been training cardio for the last ten years, hard. It's genetic. You got a guy like Cain Velasquez who just don't get tired. He can just train all day. Even a guy like Koscheck...I don't think there's anything I'm not doing that other guys are doing. I have a lot better punching power than those guys. And I think I'm faster, I have more fast-twitch. I know I can beat them both in a race. But in a longer duration, those guys can keep going, and that's one of the things that separates us...It seems like a lot of the Mexican guys have real good cardio, throughout history and in the UFC. Diego Sanchez has great cardio, Cain Velasquez, a ton of guys. I don't know what it is, man, but I do the best with what I got."

On his return to middleweight: "I had almost no muscle at 170 and I still got tired, so that obviously wasn't the answer. I feel a lot stronger [at 185]. That's how I fight — I'm an explosive, fast fighter — but if I don't have that, what do I have? And I didn't have much going into that fight with Amir. I had a horrible training camp, I had a horrible performance...so I might as well go back up."

On Lesnar vs. Velasquez: "Cain. Not just because I train with him, but because he has an unbelievable gas tank...if you can fight as hard you want for 15 to 25 minutes, without ever thinking about getting tired, I mean I think if I had that gas tank I would easily be the champion. I think that's the best weapon in the sport — better than jiu-jitsu, better than wrestling, better than standup, is having a gas tank like that. And [Velasquez] is well-rounded, he's good at everything. He has no glaring weakness, so I have to pick him for the fight."

[SOURCE]

10/20/10 11:20 AM
SD CARTEL
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's right about the cardio/genetic thing. Another good example of this is Sokadjou. A study came out sometime last year showing that some peoples body have a limit on increasing aerobic capacity set by genetics.
10/20/10 11:23 AM
Kirik
1598 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, President
Great interview!
10/20/10 12:02 PM
Peckerwood
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

freaking AWESOME interview!!! Thanks guys. Baroni is prolly my favorite fighter period!!
10/20/10 12:35 PM
CagePotato

Glad you guys liked it!
10/20/10 12:39 PM
GMan99
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who would have ever thought that the Phil Baroni circa 2000 -- "I'm the best eva!" -- would one day become the most self-aware, humble and likeable guys in the game?
10/20/10 12:43 PM
SD CARTEL
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that beatdown he layed down on Dave Menne was one of the more brutal and vicious beatdowns in UFC history.
10/20/10 12:49 PM
jujubre
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Baroni win some fights and have a good run.
10/20/10 12:51 PM
Seamus619

Snookie wants moosh moosh!!!!
10/20/10 12:56 PM
nyhcloyalty
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still the fuckin' best evah. Sucks Tavares is running into the NYBA this early in his career.

Happen to be sittin in the sixth row, heads up! That's where Tavares' jaw gonna be after this fight.
10/20/10 1:07 PM
Jiujitsushi

Great interview by Ruben Vera. GO HOOBEN!
10/20/10 1:13 PM
bhamill
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Early on I grudgingly liked Baroni simply because despite the loudmouth thing he had going he plain and simple came to fight. These days with him not taking his persona so seriously and just having more fun with it, how can you not like the guy?
10/20/10 2:34 PM
SD CARTEL

What's funny to me is that I always wondered what Baroni's opinion was on that show Lol.
10/20/10 2:44 PM
Duke Roufus
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roufusport Academy, Owner
Go Phil-You're an OG like Paulie D says!!
10/20/10 2:52 PM
goku

Bobby Lupo -  Paisan, you ain't too old for the Jer-Zee Shaw. Sitch and Paulie D are right in your age range. Can't wait till you get back to knocking 'todds out. 

FORZA BARONI!!!!!!!

y dont u call baroni an idiot for picking cain
10/20/10 3:05 PM
humphrey sphinctermuscle

meh. they tried to artificially improve his record by feeding him 3 cans, then he still lost the next two. and even including those 3 can wins he's 8 and 11 since 2003.

he was done LONG before now, and I don't think any fighter would be concerned facing him. nobody in the UFC at least.
10/20/10 3:26 PM
BzGrappla

No matter what. Phil Baroni is a Legend in the game of MMA. Whenever i heard phil was gonna be on the card back in the day, it was an instant Order.

10/20/10 5:26 PM
whoabro

Totally agree on the genetic issue-- I haven't looked at research on the subject, but I'm sure there are genes that code for that just like they do for height, hair color, muscle mass, bodyfat %, etc. You can train and make the most of what you have, but some guys will just never have top notch cardio no matter what.
10/21/10 11:45 PM
BzGrappla

Bobby Lupo - 
goku - 
Bobby Lupo -  Paisan, you ain't too old for the Jer-Zee Shaw. Sitch and Paulie D are right in your age range. Can't wait till you get back to knocking 'todds out. 

FORZA BARONI!!!!!!!<br type="_moz" />

y dont u call baroni an idiot for picking cain

Because I understand loyalty. Phil's at AKA with Cain, what's he gonna say? He's gonna take his boy's back no matter what. Cain could be fighting Fedor, Brock and both Nogs at the same time and Phil would do the right thing and say that Cain's gonna win.

loopz alot of fighters are picking cain
10/22/10 6:26 AM
Auswilliam
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

love ya phil. Keep doing your thing brother.
10/22/10 3:18 PM
BzGrappla

real talk
11/2/10 5:58 PM
Oddessa
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oddessa
 ttt
11/2/10 6:10 PM
Seamus619

Baroni fan for life.
11/2/10 7:04 PM
Jerry Spiegel
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i would love to see phil on jersey shore

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.