UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Paul Vunak

10/21/10 3:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sir Drinks a lot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi,

I was wonderig if anyone has any info on Paul Vunak's street fighting experience. I have read as much material on the subject as I can find, but it's pretty thin on the ground.

There are conflicting claims: some say he's the real deal, while others allege that he's never had a real fight in his life.

I'm interested in Vunak's approach, and would LIKE to believe that he really has the experience he claims.

By the way, I have heard about his supposed drug use ect ecct, but this doesn't interest me, as it's just not my business.

Thanks,
10/22/10 11:37 AM
cprevost
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whoa! You are really opening a can of worms there bud. I always wonder why people seem to want an instructor who has been in lots of street fights? If that's your criteria you're probably better off with a gang member or ex con....
10/22/10 12:49 PM
Sir Drinks a lot

It's not that that's my critetia, I'm just interested is all.

I think an instructor has to have a mix of skills, and characteristics. Not least of which is to be a decent human being. I can appreciate that the original question could seem as if I am glorifying "thug" behaviour, but that's really not the case.

Having said that, I do think that it's better if an instructor who is claiming to teach MA for self defence, protection (call it what you will), has some pracical experience in applying what he/she is teaching.

Otherwise it's all theory.

As I say, it's a part of the mix. Not the sole ingredient. Getting back to Vunak, I'm just curious.
10/22/10 8:34 PM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's important. Someone who's been a competition fighter, a bouncer, a pedigree training soldiers, etc. is someone who seems more reliable to me than someone who hasn't done those things. I've been in many dojos with senseis who haven't done more than kata competitions.

Someone like Bas Rutten vs. someone like the guy who teaches karate for self-defense.
10/24/10 3:24 AM
jkd4200

dont feed trolls

this thread has been done a billion times... go train with him and ask him about fighting... simple as that.
10/24/10 9:26 AM
Sir Drinks a lot

Edited: 10/24/10 9:27 AM
I'm not a troll you jackass. I was asking a simple question. I thought that's what discussion forums were for.
10/24/10 8:07 PM
HEMAN
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe his claims are realistic. He was a H2H instructor for the Navy Seals for a short time in Norfolk, VA. Unfortunately, he stated he did some drugs/drinking and often gotten into fights at bars. Most of his claims sound real to me...like the time he try to his RAT on a Samoan and got thrown over a bar then proceeded to hide till the brawl was over.

I trained briefly with a Dan Mikesva who trains with him...and he showed me different things about self defense etc...I adopted some tactics and discarded others.
10/24/10 11:38 PM
WidespreadPanic

The reason 'street fighting' experience was touted back then was that there was no understanding of how to train fighting like it's done in MMA now. But consider that it's so hit-and-miss that though 'skill transfer' is much higher than 'kata' or one steps it's extremely sporadic and can't be done routinely.

With BJJ and use of gear you can fight-train at near 100% resistance and aliveness and get much, much more out of your experience.
10/26/10 1:37 AM
Missing Glove Tape

HEMAN - Most of his claims sound real to me...like the time he try to his RAT on a Samoan and got thrown over a bar then proceeded to hide till the brawl was over.

Now this is a story I'd like to hear. Is it taken from an interview or something I can read online?
10/26/10 5:17 PM
jcblass
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Many people may disagree with Vu's personal behavior at various times in his life, but no one questions his ability as an instructor and his knowledge of fighting. If they do it is personal an not on the merits of his ability. His linage in rock solid going back to not only Inosanto, but also Gracies in the late 1980's.
10/26/10 11:09 PM
HEMAN
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Missing Glove Tape - 
HEMAN - Most of his claims sound real to me...like the time he try to his RAT on a Samoan and got thrown over a bar then proceeded to hide till the brawl was over.

Now this is a story I'd like to hear. Is it taken from an interview or something I can read online?

I believe I read it in blackbelt magazine years ago. He was an instructor in Norfolk VA. And the Seal guys would go into biker bars to drink and they would get into fights. Supposely...he tried RAT on a much bigger guy and got thrown...he joked about it. He said he learn through trial and MUCH error on what works and what doesn't work.
10/28/10 4:37 PM
Sir Drinks a lot

I like the story about Vunak and the Samoan. Hadn't heard that before, I hope it's true.

One of the things I actually admire about Vunak is the fact he admits to losing fights. He's pretty much the only prominent instructor I can think of who does.

Everyone else is happy to wax lyrical about how they've had hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of fights without a loss.

I find Vunak's honesty very refreshing, and it's a major reason why I'm interested in his approach.
11/8/10 5:58 PM
jkdblast

You need to train with him and you will see for yourself. Before I trained with him I heard all kinds of stories. In 2005 I went to train with him I have been with him ever since. All I can say is he can back up everything he says, and he is great to hang out with if he vibes with you. theres nothing he wont do for you. Your gonna hear alot of shit some true some not, but like he says you cant fake attributes and body mechanics. Take care.
11/11/10 9:55 AM
Adam Singer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

0 posts. LOL. You sound like I did.
Adam
11/11/10 10:29 AM
John Frankl

Adam,

All good. We all seem to wind up where we belong, when we belong there, more or less, sooner or later, etc.

Hope you and yours are well.
11/11/10 4:11 PM
Adam Singer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John,
Everything is great here. You ever coming back to the states? I figure we can at least help others avoid the mistakes that we made. Imagine how much time/money/effort we could have saved.

Adam
11/11/10 8:53 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hindsight is 20/20.

Mines actually 20/15 after lasic surgery.

Demi
11/12/10 2:06 AM
jcblass
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/12/10 5:06 AM
I think it is unfair many people (former students) use Vunak's training concepts, his exact techniques in their "new" fighting systems, then bash the guy covertly on forums. I see so many people take shots at him publicly, then look at their curriculum only to see it is identical/renamed Vunak stuff (even the bongo drum was ripped off). It is so awesome many people can take his knowledge repackage it, profit from it, then take to the forums and slander the guy.
11/12/10 10:26 AM
Adam Singer

I know I am going to come off as a dick here but I am really trying to help.

Slander is spoken, not written. It also must be false. You would be surprised how many of us have FIRST HAND knowledge of what we speak about.

As for curriculum stuff, since that is obviously not me I have not comment.

Adam
11/12/10 4:17 PM
Sir Drinks a lot

My thanks to the handful of people who posted something relevant/interesting on this thread.
11/13/10 3:57 AM
jkd4200

jcblass - I think it is unfair many people (former students) use Vunak's training concepts, his exact techniques in their "new" fighting systems, then bash the guy covertly on forums. I see so many people take shots at him publicly, then look at their curriculum only to see it is identical/renamed Vunak stuff (even the bongo drum was ripped off). It is so awesome many people can take his knowledge repackage it, profit from it, then take to the forums and slander the guy.

THIS...

these are the same douch bags that talk shit about Royce Gracie and Gracie Jiu Jitsu now that they train "MMA"...

Was it Rorion who said something along the lines of: "how funny it is, that these people shit on the plate that feeds them..."
11/13/10 4:03 AM
jkd4200

Hello Demi... Do you and that old guy still throw cans at each other with your left hand...??? Real revolutionary stuff there... training the entire body... you really took self perfection to the next level....

11/13/10 4:06 AM
jkd4200

Gas Station Employee: I'm picking up your sarcasm.

Richard: That's because I'm laying it on you pretty thick.

11/13/10 11:38 AM
solidbjj

Vunak's personal ability is not the question. Take a look at all of the material he puts out. Be honest, has there been anything different in the last 20 years? It is just one tape/dvd after another with the very same stuff over and over and over again. It doesn't mean it is bad, but it is just the same largo man, sumbrada drills connected up with a slightly different description. Everyone surrounding him (less To Cruse) is new. Many, of these people attended one or two seminars. All the people Vunak alienated from his association have gone on to develop into better practitioners. Maybe this is a compliment to him... or maybe they realized they had to keep learning!
11/13/10 11:40 AM
solidbjj

P.S. concerning the bongos/drumming. The Inosanto academy, Ted Lucaylucay's school, and many otheres used percussion long before the first Vunak video was ever made.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.