UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Paul Vunak

1/21/11 6:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RickRude
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

getting into drunken bar fights with biker gangs is one of the stupidest things you can do. 1. they all carry weapons. 2. they're violence-prone individuals. 3. they tend to not care about their own future, therefore killing you doesn't matter much. 4. if they're in a legit biker gang, they have a lot friends with similar backgrounds, so even if you beat the guy (or a group of em), expect a bounty on your head/ass... 5. look up the Pagans (biker gang from Philly)...people like that you just don't mess with... 6. a lot of em are just plain tough and/or crazy. Phone Post
1/25/11 12:10 AM
HEMAN
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yoshida4Life - 
RickRude - getting into drunken bar fights with biker gangs is one of the stupidest things you can do.

Yes. But someone who does it a lot and lives has probably gained a vast amount of knowledge about real fighting.

When I was younger I hung with some older viets and we will get into numerous bar fights. And very few of it was H2H...mostly guys grabbing chairs...cue sticks and beer bottles...since then things have tone down alot...alot of the new kids are EMO...non alpha males comparison to the angry FOB viets I use to hang with. Of course if u go to NYC or JERSEY...beware of the GUIDOs.
1/25/11 12:10 AM
HEMAN
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yoshida4Life - 
RickRude - getting into drunken bar fights with biker gangs is one of the stupidest things you can do.

Yes. But someone who does it a lot and lives has probably gained a vast amount of knowledge about real fighting.

When I was younger I hung with some older viets and we will get into numerous bar fights. And very few of it was H2H...mostly guys grabbing chairs...cue sticks and beer bottles...since then things have tone down alot...alot of the new kids are EMO...non alpha males comparison to the angry FOB viets I use to hang with. Of course if u go to NYC or JERSEY...beware of the GUIDOs.
2/8/11 9:42 AM
Invincible
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to train with Vu for a year.
2/12/11 11:58 PM
jcblass
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love do go out drinking with Vu for a year :)
2/15/11 10:06 AM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cprevost - Whoa! You are really opening a can of worms there bud. I always wonder why people seem to want an instructor who has been in lots of street fights? If that's your criteria you're probably better off with a gang member or ex con....

The reason is TMA and distance arts like JKD, TKD and Aikido (where the square off at a distance) have to take steps to insure they are training alive (with footwork, motion, intent and unrehearsed), otherwise they're going 80% and talking a lot and not even breaking a sweat a lot of the time. If they're not training alive then there may be little to no 'reality' to their sparring. Even boxing can be done with little aliveness if you're not careful - no-KO, white collar boxing, for example.

So for those 'arts' being in a real street fight is the only aliveness they get.

Bear in mind you can do A LOT at 80% which will not work IRL.
2/15/11 10:11 AM
WidespreadPanic

Oops didn't realize I posted this same comment earlier. Sorry 'bout that.

I might add though, that your instructor may have been in numerous street fights and knows what works, having functionalized the moves, given whatever base arts he's studied.

That does NOT mean his students will be able to pull off the same move. Far from it. Go into such arts with a good base art like BJJ, MT, Judo, Greco/Wrestling and you'll be pretty darn good, because you'll be aware of the 'training regime' needed to functionalize your moves and have a fall-back art that does train 100% alive.
2/15/11 6:13 PM
Sir Drinks a lot

Widespreadpanic,

What do you think about Vunak's method? Asking as I always like your posts. You seem like a very knowledgable chap.

Have you ever trained with Vunak?
6/27/11 4:54 PM
Ninja mon

I have heard only great things about Paul Vunak! I heard he is a bad man!
5/27/13 11:59 AM
RIPLEY

the question is did he lose? The answer is either yes or no. We all realize he is great. Then explain details.
5/29/13 7:53 PM
Vulcan21

Ttt
6/1/13 9:08 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vu never lost a street fight...he's alive isn't he?
If you live to talk about it...you won.
6/1/13 11:05 PM
Majic Sam
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goes back some time ago,but does anyone know why Vu and Tom Cruse threatened to beat up Ted Wong and Richard Bustillo?Seems disrespectful.
6/2/13 9:04 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never heard that. Vu, as long as I knew him over 30 yrs has always paid high respect to his seniors.

BUT, if anyone did anything to Dan, now that is a different story and might prompt a reaction.
6/3/13 9:16 PM
Majic Sam
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure what started the incident,but most likely statements made re; JKD/Concepts.

A good friend of mine who is certified under Ted heard from him that both Richard and Ted went to Dan to resolve the problem and Dan said that there was nothing he could,or would do about it.

Appearantly,Ted and Dan never spoke to each other after that meeting.

Pretty weird...
6/6/13 12:06 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread should not exsist.

Individual persons have phone numbers. Call them and ask them.

I am SO FUCKING SICK OF MARTIAL ARTS MYTHOLOGY! Fuck my mother (and her mother). Shitballs. 

Listen - "I'm not only I client but I'm also the president". I've been around the martial arts block.

The HYPE is NOT IMPORTANT! I know a guy who never got into a streetfight in his life. EVER! Yet he taught me more about the jab than anyone else. AND from his teaching I was able to knock out a guy who weighed 265 while I weighed 205.

The greatest basketball coaches in the country would suck balls on the court against the best high school players...

Our greatest generals would possibly die within seconds of a battle...

I was a civilian contractor for Homeland Security as a tactics Instructor. It doesn't mean I could "do their job".

Sometimes when I read these threads I think to myself "I'm too cool for the second grade". But, in the final analysis - I'm not.

6/6/13 12:21 PM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like someone here had a really bad childhood.
6/6/13 6:39 PM
BJJSD

I trained for two years in the 90's with Ted Lucaylucay. He had a very distinct way of teaching his curriculum and remember at the time how I didnt appreciate the foundation of the boxing and panantukan that he instilled. Like most I wanted more but for the first year we focused alot on the kickboxing aspects and concepts of JKD. I am blessed today when I look back at how much his foundation has helped me.I was young and always watching videos of Burton Richardson and Paul Vunak. I asked him once about Paul and he didn't say much. The expression and body language when i mentioned his name was almost one of a hurt friendship. He told me some people left to venture out on their own and watered down what Dan had taught them into a more hardcore approach to JKD. He said that that was his thing and the discussion was over. I'm sure Paul had many fights back in the days of the first UFC's. He probably won some and lost some. What I always remember was to not mistake the trademark for the truth in ones own abilities. Some people are gifted at fighting but cannot transcend those skills down to their students and vice versa. That goes for any coach or sport. I asked Ted one day after training if he ever had to use his Kali or JKD in a real fight and he replied that he never had to. Nobody ever made it past his 1,2. That guy could generate some serious power. Scared the shit out of me with the sticks. Good times.
6/11/13 10:20 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Siciliano - Seems like someone here had a really bad childhood.

If you me me... YOU HAVE NO IDEA... However... It does have a tendancy to shape parts of our personality structure.

6/12/13 2:38 PM
Joe Maffei

Demitrius Barbito - 
Siciliano - Seems like someone here had a really bad childhood.

If you me me... YOU HAVE NO IDEA... However... It does have a tendancy to shape parts of our personality structure.

That is the sad thing and is why I started a thread on teaching kids. But little response to that thread and is a reflection of our society.
We just don't care and have the time for kids, there is no personal glory in kids, no big pay check, no self gratification.

Any one of my guys who wants to open a school under my flag has to offer a kids class FREE. That's right NO PAY........
That's the lease we can do for our future.
6/12/13 4:37 PM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love to comment there Joe but I don't have a kid . . . I think I don't . . .
6/12/13 6:32 PM
Demitrius Barbito

"""Siciliano - Seems like someone here had a really bad childhood."""

I actually have been diagnosed with PTSD (due to 12 years of physical, psychological and emotional abuse, ritualistic beatings and watching family members beaten visciously). This is why I latched on to the "false image that Bruce Lee projected". It was in hopes of being able to stop abusers from hurting me and my loved ones.

It's very obvious in the fact that I called what I taught "SELF PRESERVATION TRAINING".

I had a very patholigical business model. I spent 12 years working one on one with all my clients (be they 6 foot 6 - 280lb men or a 4 foot woman). Private security from all over the world, the U.S. Dept. Of Homeland Security or just local UFC wannabes.I boxed, clinched, grappled, stick/knife fought and out shot everyone who came in "in an ongoing replay and defense of my own soul against an abusive father and other predatory adults from my childhood".

My heart was intent on helping other NOT be victimized even ONCE. BUT those who had been victimized already were taught how to not be vocyimed again.

I've grown so much over the past 6 years. I no longer throw punches and kicks for a living.

6/13/13 12:08 PM
Stickgrappler
1710 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I've grown so much over the past 6 years. I no longer throw punches and kicks for a living"

That's awesome!!
6/15/13 8:50 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Stickgrappler - "I've grown so much over the past 6 years. I no longer throw punches and kicks for a living"

That's awesome!!

Thank you sir.

It was a gift to be able to walk away from it AND see it for what it was. I still help certain people/entities from an adviosory standpoint.

I miss it sometimes (for about 10 seconds). Then I look around me at the most awesome peace of an amazing wife and children and community of friends and it fades like second hand smoke...

I recently gave up cinematpgraphy as well.

I'm back to music as an outlet.

6/16/13 10:43 AM
Joe Maffei

"It was a gift to be able to walk away from it AND see it for what it was. "
Wrong!!! You are a victim. As you were abused years ago so has the Martial Arts Industry been abuse for years. So what you saw was a distorted view and not of what it should have been, and most important what it can be.

The gift you have received is the realization that something seriously is wrong with how 99% of the MA's world sees it.

The question I have for you is, now that you are armed with this (knowledge) realization, what are you going to do about it?
1.Nothing, let people fend for themselves.
2.Pay it forward and help change the perception of the MA's for future generations.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.