UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Did I misplay AK here?

10/21/10 10:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Comments/Advice appreciated:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

Hero (MP2) ($9.59)
MP3 ($15.04)
CO ($22.34)
Button ($10)
SB ($17.91)
BB ($9.11)
UTG ($7.07)
UTG+1 ($3.88)
MP1 ($4.15)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Ac, Ks
3 folds, Hero bets $0.24, 2 folds, Button raises to $0.70, SB calls $0.65, 1 fold, Hero raises to $2.20, 1 fold, SB calls $1.50

Flop: ($5.20) 7h, 6h, 6d (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $2.71, SB raises to $15.71 (All-In), Hero calls $4.68 (All-In)

Turn: ($19.98) Ad (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($19.98) 5d (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $19.98 | Rake: $1.33

Results:
SB had Ah, Jh (two pair, Aces and sixes).
Hero had Ac, Ks (two pair, Aces and sixes).
Outcome: Hero won $18.65

10/21/10 10:56 PM
VectorWega

BTW, you can comment on my $0.24 preflop raise but I like it a lot.
10/21/10 10:59 PM
VectorWega

Also, this is Rush Poker.
10/22/10 10:22 AM
flemsnopes

When he check-raised so big did you put him on a bluff? Not sure how he could have read you as weak after one hand, but his all in isn't likely to push anything but a bluff or maybe semi bluff out of such a swollen pot, and with your stack so small in comparison.

Dunno, probably the good players in here have some meaningful insights.

10/22/10 12:22 PM
Alabama Man
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you have any reads on the sb or button?

1) Did you raise 2.5x the BB in MP to entice a three bet?
2) When you four bet are you looking for a fold or a call? Or do you think the button is 3 betting light and you can play a pot in position against the sb?

3) Without reads sb calls I am putting his range as something like this:

{TT+,9d9h,9d9s,9h9s,8d8h,8d8s,8h8s,7c7s,7d7s,7h7s,AQs+,AhJh,AsJs,KhQh,KsQs,AQo+,AcJh,AcJs,AdJh,AdJs,AhJs,AsJh} 59.906%

I did 1/2 combintions of 99, 88, 77, AJ, and KQs

I think you have to c-bet and when he calls the pot is $7.90 and you have $4.68 behind so it's a no brainer IMO.

I personally just flat AK oop to a three bet but I'm a nit.

10/22/10 1:14 PM
VectorWega

flemsnopes - When he check-raised so big did you put him on a bluff? Not sure how he could have read you as weak after one hand, but his all in isn't likely to push anything but a bluff or maybe semi bluff out of such a swollen pot, and with your stack so small in comparison.

Dunno, probably the good players in here have some meaningful insights.

When he called preflop I assumed he probably had a pocket pair. Preflop 4-bets are really rare at this level and I sometimes forget how bad players are (to call out of position with AJ here).  When I bet the flop, I assume he has to throw away his pocket pair.  If he did have 77 or 66 he probably just flat calls my bet on the flop and lets me bluff away my stack.  So i'm very confident that I am drawing live.

My initial thought when he pushed all in was "OMG this guy is a donkey" and he was unable to throw away a hand that in most cases would be way behind.  I felt that I had too little behind to fold but didn't really do the math.  I think this is the right decision though, and in the past would have probably played this softer so that I could fold to a bet on the flop but I feel the way I played this is probably more profitable at this level.  Not certain though.
10/22/10 1:21 PM
andre
440 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The key here is that it's Rush Poker, imo.

"Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Ac, Ks
3 folds, Hero bets $0.24, 2 folds, Button raises to $0.70, SB calls $0.65, 1 fold, Hero raises to $2.20, 1 fold, SB calls $1.50"

I like your bet in Rush Poker because it's small enough to encourage a raise, especially in Rush Poker, where a middle position bet is often light in an attempt to steal from people who've already folded. Personally, I'd make a bigger bet with AK if it were a normal full ring game.

I like your reraise, and I'd put the SB on a drawing hand like a small pair or some suited hand that isnt particularly strong, but possibly worth seeing the flop with if the odds are right. I think he shoves with anything better so that he doesnt have to play from out of position.

"Flop: ($5.20) 7h, 6h, 6d (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $2.71, SB raises to $15.71 (All-In), Hero calls $4.68 (All-In)"

The SB was lucky to have seen such a favorable flop considering the hands you were both holding. If I'm the SB, I shove on the flop, rather than check, because I might have SOME fold equity, but I cant possibly think I'm ahead, even with the heart draw. I think he chose the worst possible line from start to finish. I like your c-bet, and once you made it you were pot committed and I get the call even if you thought you were behind.

I think you played it well and the SB played it about as badly as you can play AJs. He should have folded preflop or at least kept the pot small until he hit his hand.
10/22/10 1:47 PM
VectorWega

Alabama Man - Did you have any reads on the sb or button?
Nope.  This is rush poker.   I have no reads on any of my opponents. 

1) Did you raise 2.5x the BB in MP to entice a three bet?
In most instances I am raising from late position (this time in mid position) and nearly all of those raises are to 0.24.  At this point I pretty know how players react to a raise of that size, and good players do tend to be more apt to 3-bet these smaller raises.  The button's stack is at $10 which is the max-buy in and indicates that he is at least smart enough to try to keep his stack size at the max.  3-bets don't happen that often at this level but when they do happen they generally come from the button which makes it really easy for me to 4-bet. 
2) When you four bet are you looking for a fold or a call? Or do you think the button is 3 betting light and you can play a pot in position against the sb?
I was pretty sure they were both going to fold and that is the outcome I wanted.  However, I also knew that a continuation bet will take this down most of the time especially if the board is all blanks.

3) Without reads sb calls I am putting his range as something like this:

{TT+,9d9h,9d9s,9h9s,8d8h,8d8s,8h8s,7c7s,7d7s,7h7s,AQs+,AhJh,AsJs,KhQh,KsQs,AQo+,AcJh,AcJs,AdJh,AdJs,AhJs,AsJh} 59.906%

I did 1/2 combintions of 99, 88, 77, AJ, and KQs

I think you have to c-bet and when he calls the pot is $7.90 and you have $4.68 behind so it's a no brainer IMO.
Actually the pot is $15.30, and I only have $4.68 behind.  If opponent has overpair like QQ then I only have 22% chance of winning.  Pot odds without consideration of rake are that I need at least 23.42% to call.  Shouldn't rake be taken into consideration ?  I have to think so, in which case pot odds need to be at least 25%. 

However, I felt it was fairly likely opponent could have an underpair in which case my odds were 35%.  Then if you consider flush draw (which I didn't) and just pure "donk" factor then I guess this is a standard call.

I personally just flat AK oop to a three bet but I'm a nit.

I think most of the time flatting at this level is not a profitable play.  I do it sometimes in smallish pots with drawing hands and with position but would not do it here with AK.
10/22/10 3:15 PM
Alabama Man
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Actually the pot is $15.30, and I only have $4.68 behind. If opponent has overpair like QQ then I only have 22% chance of winning. Pot odds without consideration of rake are that I need at least 23.42% to call. Shouldn't rake be taken into consideration ? I have to think so, in which case pot odds need to be at least 25%.

However, I felt it was fairly likely opponent could have an underpair in which case my odds were 35%. Then if you consider flush draw (which I didn't) and just pure "donk" factor then I guess this is a standard call."

I agree.
10/22/10 3:33 PM
VectorWega

TitoOrtiz5 - There is no correct or incorrect way to play poker when the stakes are so pathetically low.

This is what a breakeven or losing 10NL player would say, AMIRITE?  Aka, I only lost money because people at this level don't respect money.  I know people that can't beat the play money stakes and they use the same excuse.
10/22/10 4:57 PM
VectorWega

TitoOrtiz5 - 
VectorWega - 
TitoOrtiz5 - There is no correct or incorrect way to play poker when the stakes are so pathetically low.

This is what a breakeven or losing 10NL player would say, AMIRITE?  Aka, I only lost money because people at this level don't respect money.  I know people that can't beat the play money stakes and they use the same excuse.

I wouldn't know. I don't bother and never would bother playing microstakes. Don't see the point in it. Whatever works for you though bro.
I think most of the best players have played the microstakes.  Anyways, I'm only 1 double up away from moving up to the low stakes. Then life will be easy.   Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
10/22/10 5:49 PM
VectorWega

TitoOrtiz5 - 
VectorWega - 
TitoOrtiz5 - 
VectorWega - 

I wouldn't know. I don't bother and never would bother playing microstakes. Don't see the point in it. Whatever works for you though bro.
I think most of the best players have played the microstakes.  Anyways, I'm only 1 double up away from moving up to the low stakes. Then life will be easy.   Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Good luck! Not trying to start a beef or anything.

You were prior to realizing how close I was to moving up in level.  HU4Rollz?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.