UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Costa Rica (Pac) Surf Fishing Tips

10/22/10 1:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hessian
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have decided to take up surf fishing for the next 10 months or so I will be in Costa Rica.

Have gotten most my gear with the exception of a PFD and a rope to tie to a tree.

10' graphite pole
Heavy reel
20 pound test
90 pound leads

Bomber 16j jointed hvy duty
Bomber Flare Hair
Original MirrOlure 77M
Bomber Fast Free Shad

I was unable to find bottom rigs or fireball rigs down here.

Mostly going for Snook, Rooster and Barracuda.

Any help would be appreciated, I have a zodiac (30hp)to get to more spots as well. Although I have little experience on the ocean. Besides it seems big.
10/23/10 6:34 AM
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jigs with soft plastics work well for snook. chartruse jig with saltwater assasin plastic in chicken on a chain color. you can troll for the roosters by using a typical wahoo rig, but use mono instead of wahoo cable. bigger roosters are out in the summer months. dont forget to use flourocarbon leaders... take come pics.
10/24/10 12:19 PM
MachetePhil
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just make some bottom rigs, with some mono and a few different knots you could make your own (and some steel leaders for the b'cuda).  I couldn't imagine surf fishing without some bait rigs, just for the times when you get tired of casting or the fish aren't biting.

Take pics though, and lol @ byrd's fruedian slip (I hope)
10/26/10 7:30 AM
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mono for trolling (at that speed flouro is useless) ..... flouro for lures/bait rigs.

good catch phil......
11/1/10 8:39 PM
Hessian
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ty for the advice
1/10/11 6:57 PM
asskicker09
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lucky mofo. Fucking fishing for the next 10 months!!
11/6/11 4:24 PM
Hessian

Fishing went OK , like most hopes time became a issue.

Now that I am into the last couple of months I am going to take the time no matter what for my fishing time.

Might even hire a guide or someone to teach me how to be more effective while I am surf fishing.

Mind you it is so much easier to go out on a kayak and get something.

6/9/14 11:53 PM
asskicker09
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you tie into a good sized Rooster...hold on!
8/3/14 2:41 AM
Hessian

I gave up after being screwed up by a stingray right through my ankle.

Decided water is evil and I should stay on the ground.

Guess if I spent some money on a guide. Would have learned the easy lesson of dragging feet through water to scare away those big bastards.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.