UnderGround Forums

Florida Underground >> Good BJJ Gyms in Jacksonville?

10/22/10 8:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CCM
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm hoping to take up BJJ in the next month or so. I'm a beginniner and have only messed around with some of my friends. Anyone here train at any gym here or know a good gym to go to? Thanks
10/22/10 9:06 PM
Stephen Eakin
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.gbsjax.com
10/22/10 9:39 PM
tope
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daniel Moraes offers the best BJJ in Jax and his track record is evidence. graciejacksonville.com
10/23/10 5:02 AM
LeoGocking
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Luiz Palhares...the only red and black belt around the area...tons of experience...lots of purple and brown belts to roll around with...drop by and check us out...

Leo
10/23/10 9:47 AM
CCM
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you guys tell me what the tuition is starting off? I couldn't find anything. I'm hopefully going sometime next week to check otu a place. Really just like BJJ and want to learn it/get in shape.
10/24/10 6:27 PM
flgrappler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couple of thoughts, CCM --

First, since JAX covers such a large area, a lot depends on where you are located and where the school is. In addition to the schools listed above are Smiley's over in Orange Park, Larry Shealy's over in Neptune Beach, World Martial Arts up on St. Johns Bluff Road, etc. So ask yourself what school is the closest to you and would make the most sense for you to train at.

Likewise, check out all the schools' schedule to see if which school meshes best with your schedule. It doesn't help you if the school you choose has limited classses or inconvenient times for classes in what you want to train in.

Take advantage of free, introductory offers that most schools have to see if you like the instructor, the students, the teaching methods, etc. "Test drive" as many of the schools that you think you may want to join. Most people don't buy a car without test driving some different models. Why should it be any different before locking yourself into a $1,000 obligation? (Most schools are approximately $100 a month on average, with a year contract usually.)

Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.

10/25/10 4:07 PM
vintirex

tope - Daniel Moraes offers the best BJJ in Jax and his track record is evidence. graciejacksonville.com
10/27/10 11:34 AM
Bean Bag
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you are from Jacksonville or are you travelling to JAX?  Where are you located?  FlGrappler made a good point.  I would love to train with Palhares and Moraes but I live near the beach and they are  a 30 minute drive for me. 
If location were not a factor and I knew that the head instructor was in town or that he was teaching most of the classes, this would be my list in order:
1) Luiz Palhares
2) Daniel Moraes
3) Victor Huber
4) Smiley or Roberto at GB South (Both guys teach the majority of the gi / nogi classes)

The best deal in town is Dean Grant's school: http://www.thetrainingyard.com/updates/ . They mainly train no-gi but they offer all of their classes for $75 a month and it is drama free. 

10/29/10 9:29 AM
LeoGocking
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bean Bag...

I live in Palm Coast and drive to Luiz Palhares academy 3-4 times a week during the day classes...30 minutes is nothing man...you can do it!!!

Leo
10/29/10 11:38 AM
BanjaCop
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CCM were at in Jax are you? I'm looking to start training soon and I'd like to have a good bjj place to go and maybe someone to roll with? Phone Post
10/29/10 3:14 PM
CCM

I live off Kernan. I'm in the navy so I'll only really be able to go in the evenings. Would this be your first time training?

Also, thanks for the advice everyone. Taking everything into consideration.
10/30/10 1:04 AM
chasedelong
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there is also a chameleon mma somewhere over there on southside
10/30/10 7:33 AM
BanjaCop
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm actually near the base-on Mayport. This would be my first time with BJJ though I have a fairly extensive wrestling background Phone Post
10/30/10 12:30 PM
BanjaCop

I've been checking out Ludus, and nights would be good-I'll probably only be able to do 1 night, maybe 2 due to work and school. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.