UnderGround Forums

Florida Underground >> Is MMA helping or hurting BJJ?

10/23/10 12:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tope
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Before you answere BJJ lovers (including myself), what happens in todays world if you run into somebody on the streets? 10 years ago BJJ alone would dominate, not so much anymore. So, i ask, is MMA good for BJJ?
10/23/10 7:00 PM
Lilryanmma

Why would you use bjj on the streets? What kind of ?'s are these. Without bjj there is no modern day mma, if you dont know it you will probably lose a cage fight.  In a street fight when do you have time to implement bjj before the fight is broken up, unless you can immediately gain full mount and throw punches?
10/23/10 8:28 PM
tope

BJJ started in the streets in Brazil, actually it started in Japan, but we will forego that forsake of "BJJ". Anyway, your missing the point here Ryan, BJJ is a form of "street self defense" an art form designed for survival like most others. The reason it has grown is b/c of the clear and proven results in its application (mostly demontrated in the begining by the smaller fighter beating larger fighter). So, I ask again, is MMA good for the BJJ player outside the cage? Or will the Gentle Art Survive?
10/27/10 2:50 PM
Lilryanmma

Jiu jitsu started in Japan. Bjj is an evolution of jiu jitsu(actually Judo, Maeda was a Judoka) by Brazilians and continues to evolve daily. And to my knowledge was not started on the streets. BJJ is a very important part of MMA. Is it good in what context? You can not be successful in MMA without BJJ. And trying to take someone down and implement BJJ in a street fight prob wont work this day and age. Your question is vague and doesn't seem to have much thought put into it.

10/27/10 5:53 PM
tope

Do your research on the “Brazilian Art” that we practice today and then maybe you’ll recognize why perhaps it is called Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It was modified by the Gracies for the streets. The question is vague for the person who doesn’t want to think. The reality is true about the question I pose.

10/28/10 12:28 PM
shah5297
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the streets BJJ alone is still going to get you out of 98% of situations; probably 100% if your opponent does not train at all.
Sport BJJ and BJJ in MMA is a different beast all together now. One example which I see at tons of grappling tournaments now is that high level wrestling with a good understanding of subs can win you tournaments. More and more I see purple belts who wrestled in college beat black belts in no gi tournaments. Im not going to name any names but I personally saw a two time D2 all American who had never trained in a gi in his life beat  and towards the end of the fight even mount a ex- ADCC champ.
As far as BJJ in MMA! Its not 1993 anymore, everyone knows what a armbar is. It is getting harder and harder to submit guys. Thats why I think you are seeing all the wins by the wrestlers these days. As long as they have decent sub defense, they control where the fight takes place and avoid subs. The days when BJJ alone got you wins at a major promotion are over.
This being said you HAVE to have a good understanding of BJJ to be a great fighter.
10/29/10 12:30 PM
Lilryanmma

I agree with Shah on most of what he posted, aside from the 98% effectiveness rate. A street fight usually lasts all of a minute and starts standing up usually with a punch or punches being thrown. More than likely(and this is just opinion) a guy that trains MMA or has a wrestling backround will change his level and slam someone throwing punches to the ground, may get a punch or two in before someone breaks it up. A strictly bjj guy (again just an opinion) willl probably have trouble getting the fight to the floor especially in a street fight, and to pull guard in a steet fight(or an MMA fight in my opinion) is a horrible idea, and again most street fights do not last very long so if that happened he would have to immediately try to submit his foe. Yea if two guys get into it with noone around in a remote area a man trained in BJJ would most likely win, obviously there are  variables involved but his chances are far greater than a man untrained. @ tope.. your silly comments make me giggle and smirk, thanks.
10/29/10 9:22 PM
shah5297
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be honest Im not that familiar with street fights but I just see Blue belts at FFA tap guys twice there size that are in the intro program all the time.
11/5/10 9:22 PM
Dragon X

On the streets, most guys don't train--so they won't know what to do against BJJ moves.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.