UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My MMA Striking Observations IMHO

10/24/10 1:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Duke Roufus
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/24/10 1:09 PM
Roufusport Academy, Owner

I want to say the level of striking in the UFC has come up along way since 2005!

One mistake I see fighters make:

They only train offensive striking. Pads, Bag, maul your sparring partner, etc.

To me that is liking only training jiu jitsu subs without defense, position & transitions.

There is more to striking then hitting. A little goes a long way, behavior while getting hit at, defensive habits-blocking- checking-evasion, counter fighting, footwork, angles etc.

On a side note, since I train Jiu Jitsu it has help re-enforce my coaching style look at striking more like jj in reference to positions & situations more then just fighting hoping you land a strike.

Hope that makes sense to people.

Take care everybody
10/24/10 1:09 PM
BuddyRevell
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/24/10 1:10 PM
Yeah, I've often said that offensive striking has been emphasized a lot more than defense so far in MMA. It's good to know a pro thinks the same way. 
10/24/10 1:18 PM
Duke Roufus
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/24/10 1:19 PM
nobones,

I would not say subpar just how to transfer striking from the ring to the cage. There are a lot things that you can get away with when little gloves & take downs are not involved.

I try to focus on re-enforcing mma habits whilst training striking. We train to be great MMA strikers not great Kickboxers if that sounds right. It easy to say you have a great chin, defense or legs kicks do not hurt w/practice gloves, head gear & shinguards on.

There no short cut. You only know it actually works with fight experience.
10/24/10 1:20 PM
BuddyRevell
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One guy who I noticed has great defense to complement his offensive firepower is Jose Aldo. Duke, who stands out in this department in MMA in your opinion?
10/24/10 1:22 PM
Duke Roufus

Anderson
Shogun
BJ
Machida
GSP

Barry
Pettis
Belcher
Koch

To name a few...some more will come to me
10/24/10 1:22 PM
Ensanity
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mythreads
10/24/10 1:25 PM
FightScientist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/24/10 1:27 PM
 I totally disagree. I am not sure where you train and who is training the guys at your gym, or if you are going off the videos posted of guys hitting mitts and such, but  the majortity of guys I know and work with do both offensive and defensive. They all have good boxing coaches AND good kickboxing coaches that work all the same stuff as the boxers and kickboxers. People keep failing to realize that when we see an MMA fight we are seeing everything together, therefor to expect to see boxing or kickboxing in its purity is crazy. Stances change, movement changes, range changes, etc. So MMA striking is its own art that uses the other striking forms as a base, but not in their purity except on rare occasions. Also, have you ever watched these guys you are talking about purely box or kickbox? Most top level fighters (yes not all, but most) can box and kickbox quite well, when they are just doing that... but most people don;t have the opportunity to see that unless they train with them on a daily basis. You just see the promo highlights, and the finished product when they are in an MMA fight. 

As far as them being offensive not defensive, that goes to the fighter. SOme are more aggressive,  others are not. Plus game plan. Seems that these guys can't win... If a fighter is countering he either loses on judges cards or is said to be "running". Fans boo is guys don't turn it into a brawl. Sloppy brawls get called "fight of the year". Add all this up and you could put Mayweather in there and people would say he has shitting striking. 
10/24/10 1:30 PM
dentalninja
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FightScientist...

Do you know who Duke Roufus is, Bro?
10/24/10 1:31 PM
SpiderManBJJ

Duke Roufus= Kickboxing champion and trained several UFC fighters.

"Fight Scientist"=random MMA.tv guy who probably doesn't train but watched every TUF episode ever broadcasted.

10/24/10 1:33 PM
FightScientist

BTW Duke I was speaking to the "Subpar" comment and the general speak on here that striking in MMA sucks.  BTW, I have been nothing but impressed with Pettis and Koch every fight. I still think Eric beat Mendes too.
10/24/10 1:34 PM
Duke Roufus

Edited: 10/24/10 1:39 PM
FightScientist,

No argument there.

I am not the best writer.

What I guess I am trying to say is guys when they are not hitting or get hit at panic or shell up. They need to do more sparring & drilling of defense & & countering.

I just got done watching Eddie Alverez fight Roger Huerta. Eddie did a great job of hitting while he was hit at when aggressive.

Being good at striking while your struck at whether aggressive or sharp shooting. Learning to sometimes except strikes to give strikes.
10/24/10 1:35 PM
Cheeseburger Eddie
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FightScientist -  I totally disagree. I am not sure where you train and who is training the guys at your gym,

lol, for real?
10/24/10 1:35 PM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was going to come on here and jokingly try to educate Duke Roufus on striking and, surprise, found thta someone did it seriously. Love this forum.
10/24/10 1:37 PM
FightScientist

dentalninja - FightScientist...

Do you know who Duke Roufus is, Bro?
You are kidding right? First off, I just forgot to quote the "SUBPAR" comment I was mostly referring to. Second of all, 2 guys can have different opinions. I am a huge fan of Duke's fighters. I was not speaking to his comments as much as the general perception noted by the next comment, that MMA striking is subpar.

10/24/10 1:38 PM
Duke Roufus

FightScientist,

Thanks for Pettis & Koch support!
10/24/10 1:41 PM
FightScientist

Duke Roufus - FightScientist,

No argument there.

I am not the best writer.

What I guess I am trying to say is guys when they are getting hitting or hit at panic or shell up. They need to do more sparring & drilling of defense & & countering.

I just got done watching Eddie Alverez fight Roger Huerta. Eddie did a great job of hitting while he was hit at when aggressive.

Being good at striking while your struck at whether aggressive or sharp shooting. Learning to sometimes except strikes to give strikes.
And in all seriousness, Duke, I was referring to the "Subpar" comment and just addressing your statements as to public perception from what they see on TV.  I also totally agree with what you say here. Not enough guys focus on defensive drills and countering or spar with a purpose to work on something specific. Some fighters are very set in their ways I find.

10/24/10 1:47 PM
Duke Roufus

Agree with your statement on Fighters.

Best wishes & continued success coaching!
10/24/10 1:51 PM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nobones -

Yeah how Brock covers up on his feet is all wrong for MMA. I agree, he covers up like a boxer with big 16 oz. gloves on

He actually covers up like a rank amateur. I was amazed at his stand-up offense, he looked crisp. Once Cain took him down and rung his bell, Brock became a giant turtle. And not one of those ninja turtles.
10/24/10 1:53 PM
Duke Roufus

Edited: 10/24/10 1:54 PM
Styles make fights. Brock matched up well against Heath, Couture & Frank. Brock is a beast.

The key to striking is do it just like jiu jitsu. Come to the gym daily & flow spar everyday like rolling & work proper habits while do it. During training camp pick up the intensity to build game plan & reaction under fire, stamina & endurance, confidence, & mental fortitude!
10/24/10 1:55 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke telling the truth as always!
10/24/10 1:57 PM
Duke Roufus

As well, this not focused on Brock! I think he will make some more adjustments to his game & be back better. He has the x factor when someone fights him.

I watch fights everyday study tape or just tune in as a fan. This thread is just an obsevation of watching a lot of fights this week
10/24/10 1:57 PM
Kirik
1733 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, President
Hunter V - Duke telling the truth as always!

+1
10/24/10 2:03 PM
FightScientist

Thanks for the kind comments.

Funny, I told all the guys on our amateur team to watch Anthony's last fight against Roller as an example of how to transition and find openings in a fight. Shane is so strong and such a great wrestler,  good BJJ, etc and  Pettis was just so diverse in his attacks. His timing, his tenacity, everything was a a true pleasure to watch. Can't wait to see him and Ben. Still hoping to have someone on that show, so I can be there for it!
10/24/10 2:04 PM
Duke Roufus

nobones,

Point well taken.

I have purposely not watched a lot striking anymore. I try to program my coaching for mma. I also do spar mma with my guys to understand how to adapt striking to mma.

As well we do not do a lot straight Kickboxing at the high levels in our training. Kickboxing is applied whilst we are mma sparring. I am good at kickboxing when we kickboxing. In mma I lose about 75% of my arsenal if I do not want to risk any easy takedown.

Great talking shop with everybody gotta go!
10/24/10 2:05 PM
Brian Rule
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great stuff Duke! Love hearing your thoughts, thanks for sharing

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.