UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My MMA Striking Observations IMHO

10/15/12 11:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Quik
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Six Deuce Clothing, Owner
Mr. Duke Roufus ... much respect! TTT'ing this monster of a thread so I can go back and read it later.
10/31/12 2:15 PM
Duke Roufus
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roufusport Academy, Owner
Quik - Mr. Duke Roufus ... much respect! TTT'ing this monster of a thread so I can go back and read it later.

Thanks my pleasure!
11/18/12 1:20 PM
NorthFromHere
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Duke, please check your messages.
11/18/12 1:26 PM
BrCutter
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke did you catch Makdessi and Stout? Phone Post
11/18/12 1:34 PM
Wasa-B
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didnt watch the whole Makdessi/Stout bout, people were saying Makdessi was "pointfighting" too much...no doubt he looked great in head movement and with his jab, some of his lead kicks....
12/3/12 1:26 PM
Duke Roufus
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great counter punch by Cung Le vs Rich Franklin.

Who's pumped up for the fights on Fox Saturday?
12/3/12 4:16 PM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke Roufus - Great counter punch by Cung Le vs Rich Franklin.

Who's pumped up for the fights on Fox Saturday?
This guy is Phone Post
12/3/12 5:19 PM
SC MMA MD
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It should be a good card Phone Post
12/3/12 5:52 PM
BrCutter
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty pumpe d for this card. Duke, in your opinion, what would Benson's best strategy be for dealing with someone as busy as Diaz?

Ps. It's inevitable Showtime is fighting for that strap, who do you see him fighting for it? Him and Bendo had such a classic match the first go round, any fan would like to see number 2. Phone Post
12/4/12 10:21 AM
Duke Roufus

BrCutter -  Pretty pumpe d for this card. Duke, in your opinion, what would Benson's best strategy be for dealing with someone as busy as Diaz?

Ps. It's inevitable Showtime is fighting for that strap, who do you see him fighting for it? Him and Bendo had such a classic match the first go round, any fan would like to see number 2. Phone Post

Benson must be the offensive or wrestle.

As for Anthony, he's very focused on winning against Cerrone. If the UFC Title shot happens it is great. Not looking past Cerrone!
12/4/12 1:00 PM
BrCutter

Thanks Duke.  Well, that should make for a helluva an exciting fight for Benson then.  

Good idea to not look past Cerrone.  A fight we never got to see in the WEC and now get it.  Very pumped for that fight.  If Anthony takes out a 6-1 in the UFC Cerrone, he's got to be next in line.  

Also looking forward to Erik Koch getting back in there in January.  

12/4/12 5:29 PM
Duke Roufus

BrCutter,

Thanks for support!

Erik is an under rated striker. Lamas & Erik will be a great fight!

Pascal Krauss has relocated from Germany to Milwaukee. He is on the card also vs Mike Stumpf.
12/4/12 5:29 PM
Duke Roufus

BrCutter,

Thanks for support!

Pascal Krauss has relocated from Germany to Milwaukee. He is on the card also vs Mike Stumpf.
12/4/12 6:08 PM
burner22
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub. Tasty thread Phone Post
12/4/12 8:16 PM
BrCutter

Duke Roufus - BrCutter,

Thanks for support!

haha, welcome Duke.  Hard not to be a fan of the Roufus guys.  I truly believe that about Erik.  I think with a guy like Aldo, it may have been a blessing in disguise for that to get postponed and get Erik another fight or two.  He improves every fight, so I'd like to see the best possible Erik Koch for his shot. 

I didn't get to Krauss, but I was sooo happy when I heard he relocated.  I'm just 2 generations from my family from Germany and still have family there, so I keep up with the German fighters.  He's from Breisach in the south.  Real pretty place along the Rhine.  I fuggin lost a screen name bet to another UG'er on the Hathaway fight!  I'm ready for my boy to get another W and I know it's going to happen at your camp.  Going to busy night for you with Koch and Krauss both fighting then.  Best wishes. 

I got Siver to watch on this Saturday speaking of Germans.  

12/4/12 10:04 PM
Rusty Shackleford
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
12/5/12 1:28 AM
Wasa-B
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke Roufus - Anderson Silva showed great comfort getting hit at & defending takedowns.

Stephan landed a good elbow & Silva returned one too. Silva's wrestling, thai clinch, shoulder strikes to create space to pummel & re-position were great too.

The knee on the stand up scramble was beautiful!

Yes, Bonnar may not be a wrestling machine but Andy's wrestling, and clinch in non-plumb manuevers are underated, like the shoulder strikes to create space.

He is just a very technical yet unorthodox and creative fighter.

Like Saku, its gonna be a long time until we see another like him.
12/5/12 8:47 AM
BrCutter

Wasa-B - 
Duke Roufus - Anderson Silva showed great comfort getting hit at & defending takedowns.

Stephan landed a good elbow & Silva returned one too. Silva's wrestling, thai clinch, shoulder strikes to create space to pummel & re-position were great too.

The knee on the stand up scramble was beautiful!

Yes, Bonnar may not be a wrestling machine but Andy's wrestling, and clinch in non-plumb manuevers are underated, like the shoulder strikes to create space.

He is just a very technical yet unorthodox and creative fighter.

Like Saku, its gonna be a long time until we see another like him.

Definitely.  I still have that image of Anderson countering Marquardt's switch that was the start of the end of that fight.  Call it jits, call it wrestling, call it badass.  

12/6/12 10:26 AM
Duke Roufus

BrCutter - 
Duke Roufus - BrCutter,

Thanks for support!

haha, welcome Duke.  Hard not to be a fan of the Roufus guys.  I truly believe that about Erik.  I think with a guy like Aldo, it may have been a blessing in disguise for that to get postponed and get Erik another fight or two.  He improves every fight, so I'd like to see the best possible Erik Koch for his shot. 

I didn't get to Krauss, but I was sooo happy when I heard he relocated.  I'm just 2 generations from my family from Germany and still have family there, so I keep up with the German fighters.  He's from Breisach in the south.  Real pretty place along the Rhine.  I fuggin lost a screen name bet to another UG'er on the Hathaway fight!  I'm ready for my boy to get another W and I know it's going to happen at your camp.  Going to busy night for you with Koch and Krauss both fighting then.  Best wishes. 

I got Siver to watch on this Saturday speaking of Germans.  

Pascal is fitting in well here in Milwaukee. There is a huge German influence here. A lot Germans came here over the generations. When I was in Bavaria the landscape reminded me of Wisconsin.

Thanks Germans for the Beer & Brats!
12/16/12 4:20 PM
Duke Roufus

Gotta watch the fights from last night. Cornered one of my fighters in Chicago. Comments tomorrow!
12/16/12 4:28 PM
BrCutter

I didn't know that Duke.  That's pretty cool, then he's in good company.  Beeer and Brats for sure!!  Gotta love it!

One of our pros was just up with you guys (Bryan Lane) for a week or so and got to work with Pascal a lot and said he had a blast.  Said Pascal, along with his tech, is just crazy strong.  

12/16/12 4:55 PM
Duke Roufus

Pascal is a great guy!

Our teammate Cully Butterfield beat Pride Vet Egidijus Valavicius u dec
Flawless Fighting Championship 2 in Chicago
12/16/12 5:04 PM
Evzey
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FightScientist -  I totally disagree. I am not sure where you train and who is training the guys at your gym, or if you are going off the videos posted of guys hitting mitts and such, but  the majortity of guys I know and work with do both offensive and defensive. They all have good boxing coaches AND good kickboxing coaches that work all the same stuff as the boxers and kickboxers. People keep failing to realize that when we see an MMA fight we are seeing everything together, therefor to expect to see boxing or kickboxing in its purity is crazy. Stances change, movement changes, range changes, etc. So MMA striking is its own art that uses the other striking forms as a base, but not in their purity except on rare occasions. Also, have you ever watched these guys you are talking about purely box or kickbox? Most top level fighters (yes not all, but most) can box and kickbox quite well, when they are just doing that... but most people don;t have the opportunity to see that unless they train with them on a daily basis. You just see the promo highlights, and the finished product when they are in an MMA fight. 

As far as them being offensive not defensive, that goes to the fighter. SOme are more aggressive,  others are not. Plus game plan. Seems that these guys can't win... If a fighter is countering he either loses on judges cards or is said to be "running". Fans boo is guys don't turn it into a brawl. Sloppy brawls get called "fight of the year". Add all this up and you could put Mayweather in there and people would say he has shitting striking. 
Not sure if your serious? Phone Post
12/16/12 10:22 PM
Rip0ste
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for the best thread on here. Duke, what martial art between Muay Thai, boxing or Enshin Karate do you feel translates best for self defense/bareknuckle? Phone Post
12/17/12 12:57 AM
e. kaye
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that it is an issue of mechanics.  Most people do not consider the jab to be powerful.   But a cross they do.   In reality they are thrown with the same mechanics, so the power should be the same.

I think that most competitors just accept whatever their natural attributes are and that is that.   When in fact with proper training in the mechanics of punching, you can dramatically change that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.