UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My MMA Striking Observations IMHO

10/22/13 11:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Duke Roufus
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roufusport Academy, Head Coach
Cain is a tough task to beat for any fighter Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 12:50 PM
Ace5002
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke Roufus - Cain is a tough task to beat for any fighter Phone Post 3.0
I agree, but his weakness would def be a good striker with evasion. JDS rocks him with punches until clinched, and if you recall the Kongo fight, Kongo rocked him at the start of each round then got taken down.

I think if Bones ever does move up he strikes Cain and circles away and elbows as Cain comes to clinch. JMO Phone Post 3.0
10/28/13 11:04 PM
Duke Roufus
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Machida-Do Karate!
11/6/13 10:06 AM
Duke Roufus

I sneak peek from the editing room of my new Duke Roufus Online Striking University

http://instagram.com/p/gWnvzQHfFt/
11/6/13 12:58 PM
SC MMA MD
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^looks great Phone Post 3.0
11/6/13 12:59 PM
SC MMA MD
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ looks great Phone Post 3.0
11/6/13 8:11 PM
Duke Roufus

Thanks! Phone Post 3.0
11/20/13 2:57 PM
Duke Roufus

Checkout my site www.DukeRoufus.com Phone Post 3.0
11/20/13 3:12 PM
DrunkenBatman
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read the title and thought "ohh another genius with a humble opinion" then saw the poster. Phone Post 3.0
11/22/13 9:20 AM
Duke Roufus

DrunkenBatman,

:) Phone Post 3.0
12/11/13 2:46 PM
Duke Roufus

higherprimate718 - hey Duke, do you think your gym could give nick diaz a shot at being a real title contender? I know nate and pettis are having some twitter beef right now....

but just in your professional opinion, do you think you could (theoretically) help him change his game enough to contend with the type of strikers who seem to be giving him so much trouble?

Thanks alot!

Sure, I think Nick has his own Striking skill set that is effective.

Great BJJ & Striking. I think Ben Askren would be his biggest asset if he visited us.

I like the Diaz bros.
12/11/13 3:07 PM
Son Geekou
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit definitely. Phone Post 3.0
12/16/13 10:25 AM
Duke Roufus

Mighty Mouse! Phone Post 3.0
12/16/13 10:38 AM
caposa
1594 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not necessarily striking, but how do you think ONE FC's superior ruleset will change Askren's game? Being such a dominant grappler, he is going to have plenty of opportunities to utilize grounded knees. I think he could turn into an absolute killer under those rules.

12/16/13 11:15 AM
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This has always been one of my favorite threads. Can you give any input in the striking aspect of the upcoming rematch of Anderson vs Weidman? Assuming Anderson does things a little differently the second time around of course lol. Phone Post 3.0
12/16/13 2:06 PM
rebelyell
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for later
1/2/14 11:58 AM
Duke Roufus

Great defense by Weidman.

Heal up Anderson you are one of the all time great strikers in MMA!
1/2/14 12:44 PM
Donoghue88
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome thread.

Slipping punches seems to get a bad name in MMA, is it really that dangerous? If your focused and see a punch coming, why not? Effective slipping puts you into a great position. Plenty of KO's happen with a slip+counter.
1/16/14 9:51 AM
Duke Roufus

Edited: 02/10/14 12:58 PM
Nice body kicks by Luke Rockholders last night! Phone Post 3.0
2/10/14 12:59 PM
Duke Roufus

Great Spin kick Ko by Darren Cruickshank in Chicago!
2/10/14 1:45 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - 

Not necessarily striking, but how do you think ONE FC's superior ruleset will change Askren's game? Being such a dominant grappler, he is going to have plenty of opportunities to utilize grounded knees. I think he could turn into an absolute killer under those rules.

Do they allow elbows on top of knees/kicks on the ground? Personally, id like to see elbows and knees but can skip the kicks or can live without them. Stomps Shogun are pretty cool though ;)
2/10/14 1:49 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Donoghue88 - Awesome thread.

Slipping punches seems to get a bad name in MMA, is it really that dangerous? If your focused and see a punch coming, why not? Effective slipping puts you into a great position. Plenty of KO's happen with a slip+counter.

I have to preface any comments about striking here like i always have: I pretty much have zero striking training but....

Seems to be that slipping punches is just like anything else: Depends how and when its done and against whom. Anything can be countered but it would seem that slipping if you do not overly drop levels for knees and kicks esp against a shorter guy or guy who is not known for kicks/knees may be ok but then again, technically, you should still aim to leave yourself not vulnerable.

I guess this is a good question for the KBers and not so much the boxers.

Like Frankie is a top level slipper, no? Aldo is a top level knee and kicker (though not high kicker) but he never got countered when slipping by a knee or kick. On the other hand, Aldo's training parnter Sandro got KOed by a kick when slipping against the taller Curran.

I would like to hear Duke's thoughts on slipping in general though for MMA and KB.
2/11/14 4:56 AM
Fight! UK Online
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Donoghue88 - Awesome thread.

6:06.

Just like anything, has its place and can be devastating. Slips/rolls are more dangerous in MMA than in boxing for example with knees/kicks, but used right. Well, you can see it works.

2/11/14 5:26 AM
armbarseverywhere
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Compared to total evasion such as the techniques employed by Machida - slipping a punch is dangerous. Playing in the pocket is a risky strategy. A more effective strategy would be to move the entire torso out of your opponents striking range and only coming back into range to deliver a strike of your own. (Preferrably with your legs.) Footwork is the first thing you should be working on as well as hip+shoulder rotation which aids full body movement.

2/13/14 9:40 PM
raags
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Duke, what are your thoughts on Machida vs. Mousasi?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.