UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My MMA Striking Observations IMHO

11/18/10 11:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Duke Roufus
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roufusport Academy, Owner
Nice Ko of Silverio!
11/18/10 1:04 PM
salmonstinks
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love threads like this. This is why the UG is great.
11/18/10 1:35 PM
ClayM
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke Roufus - I have been approached about doing an intensive striking for MMA DVD instructional. Is anyone interested in seeing something like that?

Go ahead and put me down for one.
11/18/10 3:22 PM
Duke Roufus
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

salmonstinks - Love threads like this. This is why the UG is great.

For sure!!!!!
11/18/10 3:48 PM
JKaz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/19/10 9:41 AM
Duke Roufus

KAZ thanks for the support!
11/19/10 10:05 AM
Fight! UK Online
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fight! UK, Online Editor
Awesome thread.
11/20/10 10:35 AM
Duke Roufus

Fight! UK Online - Awesome thread.

Everybody discuss after fights Tonight!
11/20/10 4:42 PM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duke when you train someone what defensive skills do you count as the most important? what do your guys spend most of their time training?
11/21/10 11:50 AM
Duke Roufus

Barboza's low kick stoppage was great. I like a low kick finnish!
11/21/10 12:37 PM
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barboza is incredibly precise for a power striker. He mixes punches and kicks nicely as well.
11/22/10 10:41 AM
Duke Roufus

Yea, another guy to watch in Lightweight division!
11/22/10 10:41 AM
Duke Roufus

Yea, another guy to watch in Lightweight division!
11/22/10 6:58 PM
Cockblock
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/23/10 10:09 AM
Duke Roufus

Good stuff
11/29/10 8:17 AM
Duke Roufus

Lets keep the discussion going...
11/29/10 8:27 AM
Hugh Jaynus
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duke, who would you say are some good guys to watch for their footwork and angles? Doesn't have to be limited to MMA.

I'm an extremely novice striker, and this seems to be an overlooked part of the game that I'd prefer to not build bad habits in.
11/29/10 8:49 AM
Duke Roufus

Andersen Silva

Alan Belcher has worked his footwork & angles very well. Especially against Wilson Gouviea & Patrick Cote
11/29/10 8:49 AM
Duke Roufus

Andersen Silva

Alan Belcher has worked his footwork & angles very well. Especially against Wilson Gouviea & Patrick Cote
11/29/10 8:55 AM
Tad Ghostal
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you think MMA will get to a point where people appreciate defence as much as offence? Like Mayweather and Hopkins in boxing, I enjoy watching both but I know I'm not going to see a fight/brawl.
11/29/10 8:59 AM
Duke Roufus

Tad,

For sure!

Defense is why Bernard is boxing in his 40's
11/29/10 9:14 AM
Neph
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/29/10 9:14 AM
Incredible thread. Thank you!
11/29/10 8:39 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT FOR DUKE
11/29/10 8:41 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

salmonstinks - Love threads like this. This is why the UG is great.

it may be only 1/1000 threads but the good ones still come thanks to guys like Duke and the part of the UG that wants to learn stuff.
11/29/10 8:48 PM
Wasa-B

Sam Sheridan - bare-knuckle boxing was one to two punches a minute--a lot of circling, playing with range. You just couldn't go in swinging and slipping. The shit that gets people boo-d today.

IMO, combination punching is more or less a product of boxing rules. Sure, maybe a 2-3 piece combo can happen in a streetfight or MMA but the long 5-8 punch combos that come out staying in the pocket is a pure product of western boxing rules.

Anderson Silva is a wonderful example of some of this stuff--most of his fights he gives the opponent a minute or two, he just watches, backs up, let's you get off--and he starts getting a feel for your range. Then he starts to work.

Now sure, it can be a problem when he mentally gets stuck there for the whole fight, but in the Sonnen fight he came out real aggressive, responding to all the negative shit from Dana and the press, and he GOT CAUGHT. And should have lost that fight, really.

To me, some of the most interesting stuff comes from that division of fight exciting and fighting to win.

Interesting angle on Anderson/Sonnen.

I saw that in part due to Sonnen taking to to Anderson rather than vice versa. Anderson also was likely more weary of Chaels tds. Chael doesnt have the total finesse of GSP in mixing striking and tds but against 2 elite MWs in Okami and Marquardt, he proved he had the ability to use them to take it to them and set up his tds at a very high tempo that neither could deal with.

However, i also think Anderson was not all there. His reaction time and stuff. I really think his so-called rib injury made his movement limited and reaction time slower. Even at 100% i do believe Chael would take him down but I just didnt see Anderson able to utilize his full tool set. .....but i also believe Chael's pressure was also a factor.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.