UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> Cold Water therapy

2/23/03 4:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TaiZen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Feb-03

Scott, I have been utilizing "cold water dousing" in the form of turning the shower to as cold as possible for the last 3 to 5 seconds of my showers. I have had great results, haven't had a cold since starting this daily practice. My question is, would I get even greater results if I lengthened the time spent under cold water? thank you in advance.
2/23/03 6:41 PM
Sonnon

Edited: 23-Feb-03
TZ, no way to know unless you try. Just remember this is an immune system "trick." By shocking your CNS, you bolster the immune system. When your CNS sensitizes to the temperature, you meet diminish returns on duration... and your CNS sensitizes faster than your skin temperature acclimates.
2/24/03 3:54 AM
Slaughtered

Edited: 24-Feb-03
Very interesting ... I've been utilising cold water and have found it to be a great stimulus/wakeup call. Are you saying Scott that essentially it is a protocol which is, long term, not worth following due to the body becoming acclimatised to it? Or would it possibly be wise to use it sparingly so to speak, perhaps not using such methods all the time? Regards, Slaughtered
2/24/03 8:14 AM
Sonnon

Edited: 24-Feb-03
Tempering methods such as cold water dousing are methods to induce adaptation. Once the individual adapts to the level of stress induced, then repeating the same level of stress meets diminishing returns. Interpret it as you will.
2/27/03 11:04 AM
Taku
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Feb-03
I had read about this a long time ago. It was not untill a friend of mine told me about his feelings about this that I gave it a try. I have been doing this for a while now and I love it! I do it twice a day once before noon (usually about 5:00am) and once beofe midnight (usually about 8:00pm). I really love it and do it every day. It never fails to elicit an intense response in me. I have not missed a day for quite a while. TAKU.
2/27/03 6:39 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Start warm and turn it WAY down. I think in the saved threads I explain my exp. with cold water conditioning. Scott- I've noticed that on days its below -15C (half the winter) I can't bring myself to do it. Any tricks? MS
2/27/03 7:02 PM
Todd Milhoan
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any tricks? I'll let you in on the best one of all. step 1: Relax step 2: Go do it! The appetite comes with the meal. You could read an eloquent 2 page article on bringing yourself to do it.. does you no good unless you go outside and do it anyway. Don't trick yourself into doing it... as the good folks at Nike put it best.. "Just do it!"
3/1/03 8:54 AM
paradigmer
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Mar-03
Hello Scott and gang, One point of suggestion I'd like to offer to martial_shadow and anyone else on dealing with the extreme temperatures is to NOT tense up prior to the dousing. We can be tempted to want to "psych up" for the event--to tense your muscles and to "get ready for it." I personally don't recommmend this. What has worked really well for me as a pyschological tempering exercise is to go from very hot to as cold as possible and to be completely relaxed and calm during the whole time. No tensing, no psyching up. I just relax and sort of methodically analyze what I'm feeling--almost as an outside observer. Besides the already stated benefits of dousing--the immune system boost, the accompanying euphoria, I find that it's an additional resource for psychological tempering. It's funny (ironic, not ha-ha) how we can change and evolve over time. I've been playing with cold water since 1997--when Scott first introduced it to me. I remember having similiar problems as martial_shadow--and how to deal with the extreme temperatures that sometimes come with winter etc. Now, I have the opposite problem...sometimes I get upset because I can't get the water cold enough! Recently, I was in Central America and was doing my normal, daily routine of dousing and Zdorovye (I've always combined the two--with great results---Zdorovye first--with the hot water) and had a problem because the water temperature wasn't cold enough at the end of my routine. The water went from room temperature to "pleasantly fresh", ha, ha, ha. (Hot water is a luxury in many parts of the world; But, I digress.) I say take advantage of the extreme temperatures while you can. On another note, I'm not sure about any recent developments in protocol, but I recommend more than 3-5 seconds...I'm not sure if that is adequate time for immersion. I recommend complete immersion. Turn slowly and let the water hit every part of your body. Relax and enjoy it. Sorry for the long post, but I don't get to make it here that often anymore and I wanted to share some of my experience so it may be of benefit to others. B well, Michael
3/2/03 11:58 PM
chadf36

Edited: 02-Mar-03
Is this off one on Scott's tapes? I have never read about anything like this and would like to learn more.
3/3/03 5:54 PM
Rox19
489 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Mar-03
Does it work if you already have the flu and fever? I'm hesitant to freeze myself...I'm already unsteady on my feet...
3/3/03 8:12 PM
WinkyTickleBear

Edited: 03-Mar-03
I've been doing this at the end of hot showers, it's great. I usually shower at night, and find that I sleep better and don't need warm pajamas. My recommendations for doing this in a shower: 1> Relax. I mean REALLY relax. Try to breathe the same as if you were under warm water. 2> Keep the water running down your body. No need to freeze your legs and feet any extra... 3> When you get an ice-cream headache on the OUTSIDE of your head, you've been under long enough and can stop if you want. ~:)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.