UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Me boxing a bit; any pointers?

10/26/10 12:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
john joe
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only Magazine, Website Editor

10/26/10 12:18 PM
john joe
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in the black; sparring with an MMA and MT pro called Matt Inman who is about 8-1 i beleive; not going hard; I've clocked loads of things i am doing rubbish but i wont list them yet so as not to pre-empt critique if anyone gives any

cheers

jj
10/27/10 1:16 AM
Khabeer Rockley
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watch the video and look for two things: both footwork.

Notice his front foot; very light, moving quickly ready to check any leg kicks. At the same time, he doesn't it move it to high off the floor, so he can base his weight on it at any time when putting his weight into a counter punch or kick.

Then notice your front foot; your weight is on the lead leg a little too much. Yes it may be good for the boxing etc, however a good muay thai guy will take that leg home with leg kicks.

Apart from that, keep your hands higher and you're on your way!
10/27/10 8:11 AM
Khun Kao
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Khabeer is correct, you need to focus on your footwork. As I watched the video, there were 2 things that stood out to me as well, but I have a slightly different take...

#1 - My first point is pretty much in line with Khabeer's advice... Look how light on his feet your sparring partner is. His movement is sharp and precise. Now look at yours. Your movement? Not so much...

#2 - So, what can you do to correct #1? Watch your front foot. You are often "heel-toeing" when you walk. Look at your opponent. He is on the ball of his foot. The heel-toe step is slower and sloppier.

To be honest, I didn't really look at much else because the difference in the footwork stood out to me like a sore thumb.
10/27/10 8:22 AM
john joe

thanks guys;

the heel-toe thing wsa the first thing that jumped out at me (first time i've ever properly watched myself on vid); the weight placement on the front leg is horrible to look at.
10/29/10 11:38 AM
Outkaster
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes I agree with KK in this. You don't want to get caught with flat feet during a match.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.