UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> WHY 4 GRAPPLING TOURNAMENTS ON THE SAME DAY?

10/26/10 1:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/27/10 12:53 PM

On Sunday the 24th southern California had 4 grappling tournaments in a 50 mile radius. Why? I think holding these events on the same day is stupid; it limits the amount of competitors in each event and the promoters lose money. Any way I took 8 players to grapplingx and there are were about 300 competitors (18 females).The tournament started on time and they stuck to the schedule. The only complaints I have was the bracket systems and lack of female brown and black belt competitors. The bracket system allow a looser in a three person pool to fight for place first if they beat the person they already lost to that person. If anyone went to the other tournaments I just wondering how people were at the other tournaments and what level was of the competition.
10/26/10 3:46 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/26/10 3:46 PM
Here we go again the NABJJ and Grappling X have schedule no-gi tournaments on the same weekend in 25 mile radius of each other (Nov 20 and 21st). I think grapplingx already had their event schedule.
10/27/10 11:44 AM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Garry, I think your complaint is your students can't get enough fights at one event.Rhonda should have at least 3 fights and so should Crystal. But the talent needs to be up there also.
10/27/10 12:57 PM
gbutts

judoblackbelt - Garry, I think your complaint is your students can't get enough fights at one event.Rhonda should have at least 3 fights and so should Crystal. But the talent needs to be up there also.

Its like they are at war with each other. instead of working togather they are dividing the talent pool.
10/28/10 12:23 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

because bjj is all about money.
11/8/10 5:48 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rhonda should have done the no gi worlds
11/8/10 8:05 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I second that RnR. It was the place to showcase her skills to the MMA and Grappling community. I thought maybe this was to much like judo (for her)with all her accomplishments and nothing to prove.
11/9/10 11:26 AM
gbutts

Edited: 11/09/10 11:28 AM
I advised her not to go. She has mma fight on Friday. It does make sense for her risk injury on a non-paying event. We would not expect an ufc fighter to do the worlds 6 days before a fight.
11/9/10 12:11 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide

i understand gary, it would be awesome to see rhonda kicking ass on all those bjj'ers it would be a big wake up call she would have some competition for sure but i think she would dominate

hey bill cooper does mma then a jiu jitsu tournament or superfight the next day, lol....rhondas young she can handle it!
11/9/10 12:11 PM
Rock n Raleigh Suicide

a big wake up call to some of the bjj girls^^
11/9/10 5:46 PM
gbutts

Rock n Raleigh Suicide - a big wake up call to some of the bjj girls^^

Yeah, I would had love to see ronda go against Penny Thomas and Hillary Williams. The good things is that the pan ams and worlds is in California just about every year. I think grappling quest is coming to california next year also.

11/9/10 6:55 PM
judoblackbelt

Garry- keep us updated on her mma fight. I understand it is time to make some money for all the years of training when there was no money in judo (monthly stipend from the US Olympic committee) only medals and Ronda has enough of them and her prize bronze from the 2008 Olympics. Is there any money in no-gi grappling? I thought there was some.
11/9/10 8:26 PM
gbutts

judoblackbelt - Garry- keep us updated on her mma fight. I understand it is time to make some money for all the years of training when there was no money in judo (monthly stipend from the US Olympic committee) only medals and Ronda has enough of them and her prize bronze from the 2008 Olympics. Is there any money in no-gi grappling? I thought there was some.

The prize money for grappling events rarely exceeds $1000. The great grapplers make money from books, videos, and opening there own schools. Over in the Asian countrys the money for grappling events are greater.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.