UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> MMA Gym in NYC suggestions

10/26/10 1:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TohFu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to find an MMA gym in NYC to train at. I would like to find a place that offers the full MMA spectrum (stand-up, striking, grappling, wrestling, submissions, etc.) with the opportunity and option to compete not just in one discipline.

However, I have also always been interested in learning Filipino martial arts (specifically stick fighting and knife fighting). I find the Dog Brothers stuff really interesting. Unfortunately, they do not seem to have a school in NYC.

My main priority is finding a good MMA place, the Filipino Martial Arts and weapons fighting would just be more of an added bonus.

I want to find a place that isn't overcrowded. The last place I use to train at started to get really crowded right before I left. Just want to add I didn't leave because of this, the last place I was at was a great gym, with excellent instruction and good people. I left because I was starting a position with a big docu-series project that was going to take up pretty much all my time. I want to find a completely new place to train now, just to see what else is out there.

One of my issues is price. Everything in NYC is expensive. So I would like to find a place that is reasonable, where I won't be left homeless albeit still training MMA.

I am specifically looking at 3 places at the moment:

Camp Undefeated
http://www.campundefeated.com/

This place seems cool. They have Muay Thai, BJJ, and it seems they also offer greco-roman wrestling and boxing (according to their website, but maybe they don't have this anymore or they will have this soon, since the schedule does not seem to reflect these as classes). They also have a full MMA cage and classes 6 days a week. The price is expensive, which is standard in NYC, but they aren't leave you naked in the middle of Times Sq. expensive. In other words, by NYC standards, they have reasonable prices. It seems as though Jorge 'Macaco' Patino will be teaching their soon as well which is really awesome!

The only downside seems to be that they don't offer any Filipino Martial Arts and/or weapons training.

Anderson's Martial Arts
http://andersonsmartialarts.com/

This place seems awesome. They have tons of classes. According to their schedule they are consistently open 5 days a week from 12pm into the evening and Saturdays in the afternoon. They appear to offer the full MMA spectrum (Muay Thai, BJJ, and a bunch of other stuff). They also seem to have self-defense and street fighting programs as well. And they also have Filipino Martial Arts and weapons training, very nice bonus. They also offer 2 free private lessons right off the bat when you join to help you get acquainted with their program and transition into the school.

The downside is that, according to the e-mail they sent me, they seem out of my price range. $200 a month for unlimited classes. Although they do offer tons of classes a week. I realistically won't be able to train every day, or enough to really take advantage of the schedule and justify $200 a month out of my pocket. Real bummer since this would have been the easy choice (on paper) in a perfect world.

DeRosa Pure MMA Training NYC
http://www.derosamma.com/

This place seems to offer a full MMA program, not sure if they divide the schedule according to disciplines. But it seems that they blend (Muay Thai, Boxing, JKD, wrestling, Judo, Sambo, and BJJ) into a MMA regimen and self-defense program. The big plus here is that it is just a couple blocks away from my place so I can easily walk/jog to and from their location. The price is the same as Camp Undefeated.

The downside, they do not offer as many classes per week as Anderson's Martial Arts or Camp Undefeated. They have classes 4 days a week. This is more than enough days a week. However, like all NY'ers my schedule can be hectic and unpredictable. So if I wanted to consistently train 4 days a week, then missing out on a Tuesday class would mean I would not be able to come in on a Wednesday to make up for Tuesday etc.

Also can anyone comment on the grappling program at Evolution Muay Thai? I have a buddy who trains there for Muay Thai and he likes the Muay Thai program, I trust his opinion. But I also want to know how their grappling is and if they are gearing their programs towards MMA, or if they are just kind of separating all their disciplines with no direction towards combining everything and being able to transition between striking, stand up, wrestling, submissions, and ground and pound.

The obvious thing to do would be to visit the schools and try out free trial classes and talk to the management and instructors. Which I will definitely do. However, I want as much info and input as possible. If anyone is a current student or has any sort of experience or info on the above schools, that would be much appreciated. I just want to make as best an informed decision as possible before I invest my hard earned cash and time into a school.

Likewise, although you can get some sort of feel for a school from taking a trial class its not nearly the same as training their for at least a month or so. So I just want as much info as possible (trying to be an educated consumer).

Thanks so much guys
11/1/10 9:08 AM
zero12345

There are a ton of places in NYC to train MMA, so I suggest taking some free trial classes to see which gym is right for you.

That said, Ronin Athletics definitely meets your requirements and has a great instructor and atmosphere.
11/2/10 1:35 PM
Jimenez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Ronin is the cheapest out of all of them. i train at Ronin and the place is great , people are awesome. but its the one that offers the most at the best price
11/3/10 2:30 AM
AndrewJitsu
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Probably for what your looking for do ronin. I used to teach at camp undefeated. But ronin has a great feel to it. Know the owner. Nice energy. Phone Post
11/11/10 12:14 PM
e. kaye

More opinions?

What is the place in NYC (Or burbs) that is the best place for pros to train?    If it exists.

11/21/10 3:37 PM
supersaiyan

http://www.lotusbjjny.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25&Itemid=28

Lotus Club has 6 day a week classes

i dont think there are any schools with FMA and MMA except ANdersons place as i have visited.

i am glad where i train at teaches Escrima/Weapons as along with MMA  at its a  combo that is  far and in between
12/1/10 7:33 PM
BrockbackMountain
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Five points has great muay thai and kali training with a olympic judo/bjj program.
12/2/10 1:54 PM
supersaiyan

five points was another but they expensive as heck
12/9/10 5:42 PM
FERNANDO Grout

My main priority is finding a good MMA place.
12/9/10 5:58 PM
Jimenez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronin and NYCS are you best bets for MMA honestly. cheaper then most of the NYC gyms and quality and depth of training partners are great

i train at Ronin
12/9/10 7:57 PM
junkyarddogg24

Im on Long Island and one place I plan on looking at in the new year is Bellmore Kickboxing Academy. Ive heard nothing but good things.
12/11/10 10:03 AM
FERNANDO Grout

Edited: 12/11/10 12:09 PM
I think there isn't any school for MMA or FMA....
12/15/10 7:29 AM
FERNANDO Grout

Edited: 12/15/10 7:30 AM
In addition to working out the place, it is important to find a coach understands the MMA.
12/16/10 1:42 PM
KELLY_Duzan

Many places out there in NYC surely you will get it soon.
12/18/10 4:29 PM
Legendary_Dough

I am also very interested in the same thing. Not so much the filipino art...but definitely the muay thai mma aspect.I am also looking for a place in nyc that will give me great training without destroying my pockets

www.5boroughfighthouse.com

try there....I need to go there myself and see what's up, but let me know how your search is going....because I am on the same journey in nyc with you dude lol
2/9/11 8:21 AM
paganist
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronin athletics is the place to go. Great guy owns the gym. Absolutely no egos there and a full schedule. Sone tough guys too. Phone Post
2/20/11 3:58 AM
KELLY_Duzan

These are the things to focus on, and get good at
2/26/11 11:38 AM
KELLY_Duzan

Terrorize your family pet while at work?
3/2/11 10:21 PM
thefightnerd
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheFightNerd.com, Editor in Chief
 five points academy sounds like it has everything you want, including the filipino martial arts. andersons is also very good too but ive spent a lot more time at five points, id say go to both and see if you can take a trial class and see which meets your needs best after you get a tiny taste.
3/5/11 3:32 AM
KELLY_Duzan

Cheapest is definitely not best
4/2/11 10:08 PM
jrrrrr
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Christian montes of Ronin use to be an instructor at Andersons years ago, when I trained there. Great guy.

In Queens you have Nick Sacoulas at Progressive MA.He's affiliated with Guru Dan.
In Staten Island you have some Renzo Gracie schools, codellan academy and renzo gracie bjj academy
4/6/11 10:47 PM
Jimenez

jrrrrr - Christian montes of Ronin use to be an instructor at Andersons years ago, when I trained there. Great guy.

In Queens you have Nick Sacoulas at Progressive MA.He's affiliated with Guru Dan.
In Staten Island you have some Renzo Gracie schools, codellan academy and renzo gracie bjj academy

avoid progessive at all costs ...they like tiger schulmans.
cant do no gi unless you have their rash guard.(55$ if i remember)
they have a good MT instructor Erik Ruiz , def a nice guy but their BJJ instructor is probably the least of professional for a BB PLUS they charge u like a package deal so if you wanna do BJJ and MT is like 200+ easily. no one there competes hardly . nice place just not a real MMA gym IMO

BTW Ronin Athletics is where its at in NYC =)
4/28/11 3:35 AM
Stoffer Inc

I've been to Ronin on a trip to NY a couple of years ago and really liked it.

Christian Montes how runs it is a nice guy a has good skills.

I Recommend that Gym to anybody going to NY
4/30/11 12:25 PM
rnunz
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've trained at Five Ponts for a couple of months and had a good experience there.  The BJJ/Judo is not the best but the Muay Thai and Kali are really good.  It's not cheap but there are a ton of classes with a full gym and various stength and conditioning classes.

The problem with Ronin (when I checked it out) compared to a place like Five Points is that it's small and not the best facility.  Five Points has a full gym, a bunch of bags, it's really clean, a lot of mat space and a ring.

I hope things work out for you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.