UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Marcus Davis moving to LW

10/26/10 5:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Crooklyn
678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TapouT Radio, Redneck=Reality

UFC vet Marcus Davis dropping to lightweight, contemplating retirement

After seven years at welterweight, Marcus Davis will drop to the lightweight division for his next UFC appearance.

Davis today made the news official with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and said he made the decision after the realization that his frame is better suited for 155 pounds.

And with retirement a serious consideration at this point in his career, Davis (17-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC) plans to remain in the new weight class until he calls it quits on a once-unlikely MMA career.

"I'm going to finish out my career at 155 and try to entertain some people along the way before my old ass retires," he said. "I like the opportunities that present themselves."

"The Irish Hand Grenade" said opponents such as Sam Stout, Spencer Fisher and Dennis Siver are among the opportunities he's eyeing, though he has yet to accept his next booking.

MORE HERE
10/26/10 5:30 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In before massive superRetardo literary spasm.

10/26/10 5:32 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BTW, Stout, Fisher and Siver are all crazy matchups. I hope Marcus gets all of those.

10/26/10 5:35 PM
Crooklyn
678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TapouT Radio, Redneck=Reality

10/26/10 5:36 PM
AngryFoamy
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carl Weathers -  Will he return to his homeland of Ireland after he retires?
^Dan Hardy?  = D

10/26/10 5:36 PM
BJJkilla
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so nate diaz who fights at LW, moves up in weight to fight marcus, beats the shit out of him and forces him to drop down to LW? LOL
10/26/10 5:46 PM
seandiesel
574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crazy
10/26/10 5:48 PM
Chomas
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dude he will lose any muscle he has, its not like he is packing on extra pounds as it is
10/26/10 5:49 PM
Doc T
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read somewhere a while back he seriously tonned down on the weight lifting routines. Could be a huge factor in him moving down. Phone Post
10/26/10 5:54 PM
NotAllBritsAreTrolls
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking foward to him and siver, stout or ross pearson. Phone Post
10/26/10 6:00 PM
SgtJustinTeplitz
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hi dear crooklyn!
10/26/10 6:02 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is his frame better suited to 155? Wasn't he over 200lb and shredded?
10/26/10 6:22 PM
Zedlepln

superCalo - I have been saying for years he needs to drop down to 155, he is a 155 fighter and always has been, but Marcus as much as I admire him has a stubborn streak regarding his ego and always wanted to test himself against the biggest strongest guys, take on the toughest competition he could regardless of how he matched up with them, its that Irish Pride that has probably led to a setback or two in his career.

Poster above was right, he did stop all weightlifting recently and uses only bodyweight excercises, I think that alone has added a couple of years to his career as he is no longer constantly carrying around injuries from lifting very heavy weights ..another thing he had pride in being one of the strongest guys in the gym, when in actual fact that caused a lot of damage to his body. His main asset is footwork and the lifting countered that out, he has realised that mistake and now being at his natural fighting weight I would expect to see a faster more athletic fighter whose footwork will come to the fore at lW.
That was entirely more sensible than I expected.

I also think he'll do better if he is quicker. Problem is, everyone at the new weightclass is also quicker.
10/26/10 6:45 PM
Schrute Boxe
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Marcus... a class act!

I wish him the best at 155, there are certainly some intriguing match-ups for him there.

10/26/10 7:05 PM
DaSquidge
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of great fights for him at 155 imo
10/26/10 7:13 PM
Malachy Friedman
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thats insane

I met him when he was at 185 and he was huge
and if I remember he hated going to 170

I couldnt imagine looking across from him in a 155 fight
10/26/10 7:17 PM
Yun
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so... he saying.. "i get my ass kicked at 170, so i'm gonna move down to fight smaller and weaker guys."

moving down a weight class is lame, fighters should fight at their own weight which they walk around in and if you don't have success at your own weight, just means you suck.

Look at all the guys that have success at their own weight without cutting.. Edgar, Fedor, shogun, bj, etc...
10/26/10 7:17 PM
Yun
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so... he saying.. "i get my ass kicked at 170, so i'm gonna move down to fight smaller and weaker guys."

moving down a weight class is lame, fighters should fight at their own weight which they walk around in and if you don't have success at your own weight, just means you suck.

Look at all the guys that have success at their own weight without cutting.. Edgar, Fedor, shogun, bj, etc...
10/26/10 9:25 PM
RJJH
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crooklyn - 

Davis today made the news official with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and said he made the decision after the realization that his frame is better suited for 155 pounds.

How did it take him so long to realize that "his frame is suited for 155"??????

4 years??

have fun getting worked at 155 Marcus.
10/26/10 9:26 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yun - so... he saying.. "i get my ass kicked at 170, so i'm gonna move down to fight smaller and weaker guys."

It's not lame at all and you're not looking at it from a rational point of view.

First off, Marcus Davis is never going to hold a title. Most guys aren't going to either. The list you created was a list of champions and P4P contenders, not exactly fighters who have ever needed to move down for anything, and not exactly representative of the overall quality of fighter throughout the sport.

Secondly, a fighter is always either faster/quicker or slower at his new weight class, or he's stronger or weaker, has better cardio or worse, etc. So moving up/down isn't necessarily an admission of "I suck," it's often the result of a fighter being smart and listening to other people who actually know what the fuck they are talking about and then going to a new weight class where they may be better performers period, competition notwithstanding.

Take Diego Sanchez as one example, who just beat a high-level WW after coming back to the division. Diego goes down to 155 after doing very well at 170 and then the advantages he had over most 170ers (speed, quickness, cardio, pace) aren't such big advantages anymore if they're advantages at all, and now his advantages are size, strength, etc. Diego was able to beat a couple top-end UFC LW, just like he was able to beat a couple top-end UFC WW in the old division, but he *still* had to fight a technical fight against a better all-around fighter in BJ Penn, and he got beat down horribly for it. Diego was going to have to face elite comp in either division, and no matter what his advantages were in either division, he still would have likely been destroyed by BJ again, out-pointed by Edgar or Florian, or UD'd easily by Maynard at 155 OR completely outclassed by any top-level wrestler at 170. So in either weight class the same fighter was still just as far from holding a title, and with that being the case, it makes sense for Diego to be at 170 because at least then he doesn't have to drain himself by the cut. I imagine this basic scenario would apply to most fighters who move up or down, except instead of being able to beat top-10 guys in either division yet unable to beat elite opponents in either division as was the case with Diego, maybe some others are capable of beating top-30 opponents in either weight class but unable to beat top-20 fighters in either weight class.
10/26/10 9:51 PM
PeterIrl
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He actually spends quite a bit of time in Ireland now, so more power to him. It's no worse than Cain repping his Mexican heritage.
10/26/10 9:58 PM
inf0
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/26/10 9:58 PM
This is all part of the UFC asking Davis to start representing his 1/8th Latino heritage..... it's also rumored Davis is moving his camp to New Mexico.

10/26/10 10:08 PM
Dznuts

LOL.
10/26/10 10:13 PM
Nubinatub

I love how superCalo proved in this thread he is a troll.

He acts mentally retarded in some threads and in others he comes off as if he has an iq that is actually above 70
10/26/10 10:18 PM
LambertCFMMA
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gotta feeling that he's going to have a tough time cutting to 155 given his frame and age. Some good scraps for him at lightweight but he's going to be a mid-level fighter at any weight class.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.