UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Unions ruin The Hobbit for New Zealand

10/26/10 9:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Squatdog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/26/10 9:06 PM

Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg...

The Australian-based 'Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance' union tried to hold the entire production to ransom by issuing a no work order to it's New Zealand counterparts. Now Warner is considering moving the filming to the Czech Republic and the fucking Prime Minister was forced to personally mediate.

Australian Union leader Simon Whipp then back-pedalled and lied his arse off to save face.

Look at this ignorant Aussie cunt:

Thanks Australia!

10/26/10 9:15 PM
Dratherbe

Stupid unions. This is the bullshit you get when you give any business a monopoly on a good or service.

Take your ball and go home then.
10/26/10 9:20 PM
Moke
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg..."

This has always been my fundamental problem with unions.
10/26/10 9:25 PM
Stache
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THEY'RE JUST FIGHTING CORPORATE INJUSTICE! DON'T YOU REALIZE WITHOUT UNIONS, YOU'D ALL BE SPEAKING GERMAN!!!!
10/26/10 9:34 PM
Empire
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whipp dun goofed.

warner said, "fuck this shit..."
10/26/10 9:38 PM
Squatdog

Whipp hugely overestimated the New Zealand film industry's bargaining position. He didn't seem to appreciate that he was dealing with major Hollywood heavy-hitters and not some two-bit Aussie outfit he could bully with strike action.
10/26/10 9:42 PM
Camel Killer
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My buddy has been going over there recently to work on the film. I'll have to ask him about this. Phone Post
10/26/10 9:49 PM
Dratherbe

This is kind of funny. We outsiders think the unions suck. As far as the Kiwis are concerned, they just have one more reason to hate the Aussies.

LOL.
10/26/10 9:54 PM
BigEyedFish
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ unions
10/26/10 10:04 PM
Squatdog

Australia has a military?

PS- What was the outcome of that thread calling you out as a Interweb troll?

It sunk to the bottom when the OP inadvertently exposed himself as the Fightsport troll who had been imping me across the internet for 5 years.
10/26/10 10:10 PM
Squatdog

A military that protects both Australia and NZ yes. You guys would be speaking Bahasa Indonesia if it werent for your big bros standing between you guys.

Indonesia doesn't have enough canoes to project it's military to New Zealand.

Good to see you got out of that one, what does imping mean?

Impersonating.
10/26/10 10:19 PM
Dratherbe

...and it continues.

Don't worry, curry. We Americans know how you feel. We have to put up with Canada.
10/26/10 10:20 PM
Pratty
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dratherbe - ...and it continues.

Don't worry, curry. We Americans know how you feel. We have to put up with Canada.

The fuck?

- Canada
10/26/10 10:23 PM
scourge
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saw something on Yahoo that said New Zealand stand to lose over a billion over this. Thats billion with a b
10/26/10 10:30 PM
Dratherbe

currymuncha - 
Dratherbe - ...and it continues.

Don't worry, curry. We Americans know how you feel. We have to put up with Mexico.

Fixed.

LOL.

Not quite correct, though. We like Mexicans.
10/26/10 11:17 PM
Squatdog

Saw something on Yahoo that said New Zealand stand to lose over a billion over this. Thats billion with a b

If Hollywood sees this union interference as setting a precedent, it would badly damage the local film industry. Studios would be less likely to film here or employ local companies/workshops (ie: Weta).
10/26/10 11:30 PM
sourcheese
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that guy just looks like a pompous ass
10/26/10 11:42 PM
yusul
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't get it; aren't the kiwi's a different local of the same union? couldn't their head refuse the aussie order? it's weird that the australian boss would make an issue over something over nz soil to me.
10/26/10 11:55 PM
Squatdog

i don't get it; aren't the kiwi's a different local of the same union? couldn't their head refuse the aussie order? it's weird that the australian boss would make an issue over something over nz soil to me.

They're under the auspice of the Australian 'head office'.

Amusingly enough, the NZ Actors' Equity eventually called off the strike action despite the protests of Whipp. What a total scumbag that guy is. He's the very archetype of the Australian union quasi-gangster.
10/27/10 12:09 AM
yusul
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^too bad, i know what that's like. my city is in the iron grip of several particular unions.

i support our medic unions and day care workers, but let's just say certain membership of certain unions shouldn't be eating up over a 1/5 of our entire city budget.
10/27/10 12:24 AM
Squatdog

It must suck getting your shit pushed in by us every time you look up.

You mean we paid the price because a local union listened to some Aussie dipshit who doesn't know how things work outside his own little union bubble-world?

We deal with big-budget Hollywood movies here, not Prisilla, Queen of the Desert(the pinnacle of Australian film).
10/27/10 12:51 AM
HardyJenns

unions = trash

I hope Jackson fucks them up the ass and moves

the sad thing is Jackson belongs to 3 unions himself and has been a union supporter, except now that he has some money and is the one creating jobs he's the target
10/27/10 12:58 AM
Squatdog

Uhhhhhh...the vast majority of all moderately big-budget films in Australia were shot in the Sydney studio.

When was the last time a major Hollywood movie was filmed in Sydney? How many do you have lined up? Oh, THAT'S right...
10/27/10 1:04 AM
Steamfitter

lol @ taking the production to the Czech Republic. Mission Impossible was filmed in Prague and the production company was raped by the locals. They sucked every penny they could from the American film makers.
10/27/10 1:08 AM
Squatdog

currymuncha - Both Matrixs???

Better than some ghey Lord of the Rings/Hobbit shit for kids...

Both? There was THREE of them...LOL!

The last one was in 2003.

Here's one for you: Who did the CGI for Avatar?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.