UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Poker Training Videos...

10/28/10 10:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone use them?  My stakes are so low and my win-rate is so high that it really doesn't make sense for me to pay for any training videos at this point.  However, I have begun watching Full Tilt Poker Academy videos.  I am mainly watching them for fun but have learned some useful tidbits too.  THANK YOU JESUS for helping me out with pre-flop bet sizing.

The best video I've seen is Gus Hansen's .50/1 NLHE session.  The way he talks through hands is always interesting but the greatness of the video is how he does everything wrong (according to the book).  He does things like calls 5.5x BB raises with K-8 suited, and limps with an ace (actually, he seems to limp every hand).  Gus even mentions that you shouldn't do what he is doing.  The video ends quite appropriately with Gus Hansen going broke on a hand where he called a huge raise with 5-6off, hit two pairs on the flop, got it in good, and was sucked out on by his opponent who had pocket queens.
10/29/10 12:24 AM
andre
416 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a membership at pokersavvy. It's...ehhh.
10/29/10 12:54 AM
VectorWega

Just checked out that site.  I only recognize two of those pros:  Christian Harder - one of the top tournament players in the world, and Tony Dunst - just because he was featured so much in this year's WSOP.

I know cardrunners is a big training site (know about them because they cheated against Isildur1).  Anyone else use any training sites?
10/29/10 4:50 PM
dab

I joined deuces cracked and leggo poker when I decided to start playing more heads up cash. Out of those two sites I think deuces cracked is better. Listening to the pros in the videos explain the logic behind their plays really helped me improve how I think about poker. If you watch the videos and actually think about what they are saying I think they can be very beneficial.
10/30/10 12:25 AM
VectorWega

In the Full Tilt Poker Academy there is a section called "Podcasts".   You gotta check out Mike Swick's podcast.  It is just a 1 minute 30 second video where he talks about a hand in the WSOP.  He limps from middle position with Q-10, a guy named Tony (Tony G?  Tony Dunst?) raises him from the button.  He of course calls with his Q-10.  He flops the nut straight, and Tony flops top pair and Swick donk bets and they end up getting it all in on the flop.  Tony is drawing dead on turn.  It's just funny that Swick chose this hand to talk about given how little strategy there was in it.
10/30/10 2:14 AM
andre
416 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Swick knocked me out of a tournament when he called my all in. I was in mp with AKs. I raised, he reraised, I shoved. He called with AQ and spiked a Q on the river.
10/30/10 9:54 AM
VectorWega

I don't appreciate your fighter bashing by insinuating that Mike Swick doesn't know how to play teh pokerz.  He is an aspiring poker pro!
10/30/10 5:59 PM
andre

My bad. Perhaps he was just feeling frisky.
10/31/10 7:58 PM
Cheeseburger Eddie
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Deuces Cracked has verry good videos and an awesome community that will make you a much better player. A lot of cool people on those forums that are all trying to make each other better.
11/1/10 1:09 AM
cadeswallows
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 plus 2 has a link w a bunch of free ones that u will find helpful, ill look 2 moro and be able to route u in to where the vids are.
11/1/10 11:39 AM
SiftMyMind

dab - I joined deuces cracked and leggo poker when I decided to start playing more heads up cash. Out of those two sites I think deuces cracked is better. Listening to the pros in the videos explain the logic behind their plays really helped me improve how I think about poker. If you watch the videos and actually think about what they are saying I think they can be very beneficial.

This
11/2/10 3:43 PM
stillmatic
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly, it's an excellent investment. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to watching the videos, but I learn something new with most of them. Not necessarily in my own game, but in how other players play and their thought process. It's also good for brushing up on your fundamentals when you're running bad, so you can make sure you're not playing bad on top of being unlucky.
11/9/10 1:42 AM
BJJ Skills Kills

I've been a member of most of the sites at various times. I've focused on 9 man sngs for a long time now though and I don't get much out of watching vids of that. Stoxpoker always seemed like a good site with alot of different videos.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.