UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> No Gi Judo Video

10/29/10 12:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TLM378
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p-S-GpUlKE

What do you guys think?
10/30/10 9:07 AM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He demonstrated 2 throws. Seioage and Osoto gari. The difference is how he grips where there is no-gi to grab, Seionage- he grabs the back of the elbow vs grabbibg the gi in that area. Osoto he grabs the back of the head vs lapel or behind the head collar grip of the gi. There are more fine points to these throws that he doesn't cover. But at his skill level he can do these throws with/without a gi. Most hi level players can. (I can't).
10/30/10 10:26 AM
TLM378
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shin is thinking about doing more videos.

What parts did he not cover that you'd maybe like to see explained more thoroughly to make the videos better/more enjoyable(I don't really do Judo due to time restraints, so I wouldn't know what he forgot to point out)
10/30/10 8:02 PM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is not criticism but how it is taught in judo. Some of the fine points. When you learn seionage you have to get you hips lower than your opponents waist. It has a better chance to work if you are shorter than your opponent. So it might not be a good throw if you are taller than our opponent. With osoto gari usually you bend you planting leg at the knee so you don't get countered backwards and when you pull the opponent in a small circle forward (the set-up)and then step in your opponent should be on off balanced on one leg. Keeping your balance and off balancing are keys in judo. And I have seen the difficulty of beginners and intermediate students learning Seinage and Osoto with a gi. So I know it is harder than it looks. His seionage has a setup (combination)with adds to the difficulty with a reverse in direction.
10/31/10 12:24 PM
tarado4
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought the vid was pretty cool

I would like to see him demo ouchigari (and setup) and sasaetsurikomiashi next

please
10/31/10 8:27 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

certainly not the way i teach it to my wrestlers. that is literally judo without a gi-- the way he is grabbing will really not work well against somebody who doesnt want to be "held..." he doesnt make adequate adjustments to hand-fighting without a gi.
11/1/10 9:20 AM
judoblackbelt

Yes, please keep posting the no-gi throwing videos. There is alot of interest in no-gi throwing from the grapplers who do not practice judo (with a gi). It should generate more interest on the judo forum. I have mostly seen successful judokas transition from gi to no gi who are higher level players ( Karo Parisian, Ronda Rousey, Rick Hawn, etc). Fedor/Ishii/Yoshida are big throwers without a gi also.
11/2/10 9:44 AM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - certainly not the way i teach it to my wrestlers. that is literally judo without a gi-- the way he is grabbing will really not work well against somebody who doesnt want to be "held..." he doesnt make adequate adjustments to hand-fighting without a gi.

I agree with Josh, no-gi judo consist of over and under hooks, using feet to move the person into a position for throw, and using throw that transition into position and/or submission. I also agree judoblackbelt, keep posting video but understand not every judo player/ instructor can teach no-gi judo.
11/2/10 3:09 PM
The Seeker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

asked and delivered

Shin's No Gi O Uchi Gari Series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kYHcfP9-Vw
11/2/10 9:44 PM
judoblackbelt

I see the similaities with gi judo (moving your opponent in a small circle) . But the idea of clinching and doing the throws/setups is so foreign to me. And I want those learning no gi throws that it takes years of practice/competitions to develove the skill/timing/setup of throws. But the practice is well worth it. At our local BJJ tournament about 1 month ago it was dominate by takedowns and top control. There were a few excellent bottom guard players with higher level belts (Purple with white stripes/brown/black). Thanks.
11/2/10 10:43 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - I see the similaities with gi judo (moving your opponent in a small circle) . But the idea of clinching and doing the throws/setups is so foreign to me. And I want those learning no gi throws that it takes years of practice/competitions to develove the skill/timing/setup of throws. But the practice is well worth it. At our local BJJ tournament about 1 month ago it was dominate by takedowns and top control. There were a few excellent bottom guard players with higher level belts (Purple with white stripes/brown/black). Thanks.

The best people to teach no-gi judo are judo players with a wrestling backgrounds. Josh mention hand control but it also includes controlling shoulders and the head placement. I think a high level wrestler with a solid judo background is unstopable in standing grappling. Btw, is it also important for no-gi judo grapplers to learn takedowns (without clinchling) because a smart grappler will not tie-up with a judo player. Karo video tapes are great for learning no-gi judo.
11/3/10 5:42 AM
JJK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What throws do you feel are more conducive to being done at a high level without the gi? Or do you feel its just a matter of finding a way to adapt them all? Input from everyone would be greatly appreciated as in my eyes there is nothing more spectacular than a high amplitude Judo throw done no gi! And that's coming from a BJJ guy! :-)
11/3/10 6:44 AM
gbutts

JJK - What throws do you feel are more conducive to being done at a high level without the gi? Or do you feel its just a matter of finding a way to adapt them all? Input from everyone would be greatly appreciated as in my eyes there is nothing more spectacular than a high amplitude Judo throw done no gi! And that's coming from a BJJ guy! :-)

most throws can be adapt for no-gi but you shoulh use throws that compliment your groundwork . I am talking about throwing and then transitioning into groundwork. I think the best person who uses no-gi judo/sambo is the MMA QUEEN
(SATOKO SHINASHI)check her out on youtube just type in MMa Queen. Let me know what you think!
11/4/10 12:44 PM
tarado4
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thank you!

The Seeker - asked and delivered

Shin's No Gi O Uchi Gari Series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kYHcfP9-Vw

11/4/10 7:28 PM
nowaydo
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The very first step in learning to throw no-gi is learning the control ties: whizzer, underhook, double overhook, double underhook, over and under, bearhug, inside and outside 2 on 1, single collar tie, collar and underhook, collar and overhook, collar and wrist, collar and elbow, double bicep, double collar tie....

First, you learn how to hold...then, you learn how to control, then, you learn how to off-balance and the throws will appear. Believe me!
11/4/10 10:52 PM
gbutts

nowaydo - The very first step in learning to throw no-gi is learning the control ties: whizzer, underhook, double overhook, double underhook, over and under, bearhug, inside and outside 2 on 1, single collar tie, collar and underhook, collar and overhook, collar and wrist, collar and elbow, double bicep, double collar tie....

First, you learn how to hold...then, you learn how to control, then, you learn how to off-balance and the throws will appear. Believe me!

These are essential things
11/5/10 2:46 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it has nothing to do with the throw itself.. it has to do with how well the person is able to adapt the throw for the specific scoring system of the sport.

throws are rewarded, and judged, differently in each grappling syle... gi and no gi. judo, sambo, freestyle, greco, folkstyle, ncaa, beach, mongolian, kurash, turkish, chidoba, sumo, bjj, sub-grappling, etc, etc.... they all see the exact same technique from a diffrent vantage point and seek something slightly different in outcome...

some want the slam! flat on the back.. BAM! folkstyle though, will kick you out for it and even award points to the other guy when/if you fail... bjj and sub-grappling dont give a damn what the technique that puts him on the ground, it is how you land and where uke is. freestyle will give you points and the other guy points in the same moment if your shoulders hit as you throw him to his back...

none of these vantage points is better or worse than another. the only question that needs to be answered is how does somebody adapt his particular throw selection and comfort levels to the desired rules.
11/10/10 12:26 AM
leothelion
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judo is Judo is Judo....Gi or No Gi...nothing but a chicken wing....Grip em', Rip Em' and send em' flying.....

Thanks TLM378 for the posting...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.