UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Well Fuck

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/30/10 5:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nostripewhite
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My poor Epi Les Paul fell and broke. The strap let go, and I wasn't fast enough to catch it. The neck broke, but not all the way through. It has two cracks running down from the back of the headstock towards the body, about 1/3rd of the way.

Anyone know roughly how much this will be to fix? Got to make a decision on whether to fix or replace.
10/31/10 2:21 AM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

send it to Racer, excellent work...although getting a hold of him is a bitch
10/31/10 3:43 AM
nostripewhite

I've seen on here he does great work, lol, but he's in California. I'm in Nova Scotia :p

The same model is on for 450 right now up here, trying to determine if it'd be cheaper to just buy a new one than to repair it. :(
11/1/10 4:00 PM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That sucks bro. 
11/1/10 5:00 PM
Ze Dano

You'd be looking at around $200.00 to fix and re-finish ....kind of puts you in a weird spot
11/2/10 2:10 PM
nostripewhite

200 wouldn't be bad. I dropped it to the local music store, the guy there was going to send it to their repair guy for a quote. He showed me a guitar he fixed up and it looks perfect. You can just barely see the line of the break, cannot feel a thing.
11/2/10 10:43 PM
jitzophrenic
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if it were me, i'd see it as an excuse to treat yourself to a new axe!
11/5/10 4:51 PM
Racer X
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you want to send it to me, I'd be happy to fix it. Round trip shipping would be close to $100 i would guess.

Ze Dano is correct in that about $200 covers most glue and refinish type of  headstock breaks.

However, you say that the cracks run down the neck. This can be problematic if the truss rod slot is involved or if the seperation is between neck and fingerboard. an improper reglue could freeze up the neck adjustment or set relief in the neck that can't be adjusted out. Tricky stuff, make sure YOU talk to whoever is going to do the work so you know that they know their stuff. That kind of break(without seeing it,of course) can be tough and can be more expensive to fix.

Good Luck, and buy Strap Locks!
11/6/10 12:20 AM
Racer X
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" He showed me a guitar he fixed up and it looks perfect. You can just barely see the line of the break, cannot feel a thing."

Sounds like a good sign to me!
11/6/10 1:24 AM
nostripewhite

Sadly, not so good :p

Due to the way the break went, he said it'd be too costly to do correctly. I really should take better pictures and throw them up here. Guitar's only 450.00 right now, probably a write off.

New axe time. :p
11/6/10 5:36 PM
Racer X

Throw the pics up. Close ups of the damage.

Worst case, I'll talk you through a repair that YOU can do that will leave you with a serviceable back up guitar that you can keep or sell cheap to offset your new purchase.

Here's a nasty mid-headstock break on a Jackson I fixed:

glued it in place, shaved the back off, replaced it with new wood. This meant no breakline on the back, where the stress is focused.

you can see one end of the break here. Right across the headstock.

old back sitting on the new one. you can see the break angle clearly here. refinish and get 'er strung. That's called DOIN' IT RIGHT!
12/1/10 12:43 PM
Racer X

ttt

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

This thread has been frozen.