UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Johnson vs. Guymon, Jan 22nd. UFC event

11/1/10 12:25 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Mike "Joker" Guymon (12-4-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) apparently has avoided his walking papers for now.

Fellow welterweight DaMarques Johnson (14-8 MMA, 2-2 UFC) recently posted news of an upcoming fight with the veteran at a currently unannounced Jan. 22 UFC event.

As MMAjunkie.com previously reported, the event is expected to take place in conjunction with Fort Hood in Texas, likely as a "UFC Fight for the Troops" event as UFC Fight Night 23.

Johnson announced the fight via his official website, www.damarquesjohnson.com.

read entire article...

11/1/10 12:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WestsideStrangler
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Mike and all but seriously?

I lost a decision to a guy that was just coming off a title fight in the weight class above and I got cut.  Mike has been sub'd twice now in the first round and won a decision over another guy and he's still here?  Damn... 
11/1/10 1:48 AM
soldierdad5417
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll always root for The Joker. He's an awesome dude outside of the cage and a good influence for the kids that are starting to look up to some of these guys.
11/1/10 2:03 AM
NHB USA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome that Joker get's another chance!!!  The guy is so talented, it's a bummer he can't get win's in the Octagon, I don't know what happened.
11/1/10 2:07 AM
Fake Rassler

WestsideStrangler -  I like Mike and all but seriously?

I lost a decision to a guy that was just coming off a title fight in the weight class above and I got cut.  Mike has been sub'd twice now in the first round and won a decision over another guy and he's still here?  Damn... 

Yes, DAMN THE UFC FOR NOT OPERATING EXACTLY THE WAY IT DID EIGHTY-SIX EVENTS AND ALMOST NINE YEARS AGO
11/1/10 3:36 AM
brahmabull81
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you saw how emotionally destroyed Guymon was after that last loss you wouldnt cut him either.... You just cant be that heartless man. He definitely deserves another shot. Anyone who demonstrates that it means that much to them deserves it if its possible for the company to do so.
11/1/10 5:26 AM
Waterbottle

brahmabull81 - If you saw how emotionally destroyed Guymon was after that last loss you wouldnt cut him either.... You just cant be that heartless man. He definitely deserves another shot. Anyone who demonstrates that it means that much to them deserves it if its possible for the company to do so.

Oh cmon, anybody that loses a big fight is gona be destroyed inside even if they don't show it in front of the camera. Guymon is a tough guy but just because losing breaks you down doesn't mean you should get to stick around longer. Should be a good fight against Demarques regardless.
11/1/10 7:47 AM
SteamRolledbyMcOracle

The Joker needs to be sent to the minors.
11/1/10 9:49 AM
jjj2121

brahmabull81 - If you saw how emotionally destroyed Guymon was after that last loss you wouldnt cut him either.... You just cant be that heartless man. He definitely deserves another shot. Anyone who demonstrates that it means that much to them deserves it if its possible for the company to do so.

Joker seems like a great guy, but Jens Pulver is a great guy who is wrecked emotionally after losses and you've got to move on at some point.  It's fairly obvious Joker isn't a UFC caliber fighter.  1-2 with 2 first round finishes in the L column and the only W being a decision over a guy who isn't a UFC fighter anymore is all we need to see.

I'm not sure what Chris Brennan said here to wrinkle so many panties.  Joker is very popular here but Brennan wasn't out of line IMO.
11/1/10 9:55 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
882 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NHB USA - Awesome that Joker get's another chance!!!  The guy is so talented, it's a bummer he can't get win's in the Octagon, I don't know what happened.

Facebook happened
11/1/10 10:00 AM
Chris
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Partner
 ttt for joker.
11/1/10 10:04 AM
the professor of mma

I am sure Guymon is a sweetheart of a man, but that doesn't mean he belongs amongst elite level fighters. C'mon...is he really gonna compete with the top welterweights in the world? No frickin' way. And all the blubbering, win or lose, is just embarrassing to watch....almost painful.

BTW - I want a better role model for my kids than a guy who tries to commit suicide by cop. The dude seems a bit unstable, but I'm sure he is nice.
11/1/10 10:04 AM
nyhcloyalty
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joker is 1-2, it's not like he's on a 4 fight losing streak.
11/1/10 10:10 AM
jjj2121

^^^

True, but it does merit saying that his W was a decision against a guy who was immediately cut, and his L's were quick decisive finishes, the last being against a guy who was coming off of a SD vs Forrest Petz of all people.
11/1/10 10:27 AM
RUSRedDevil
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

although, I agree with WestSideStrangler, a little piece of advice to ponder...

In business, never argue/barter a deal over the merits of someone elses deal......

No 1 you don't know if they really got the best deal they could have

No 2 you don't know all the reasons for the above deal being made (family, loyalty, blackmail) So always argue your position on your own merits in the situation, not someone elses merits in a similar situation
11/1/10 11:51 AM
eqard 1

met joker one time ..... seems like a helluva guy.

if dana allows him another fight then so be it
11/1/10 12:09 PM
Fake Rassler

Edited: 11/01/10 12:11 PM
LOL, why was my post on this thread deleted along with the post(s) agreeing with it? Since it didn't violate forum rules, I'll repost it.

Yes, DAMN THE UFC FOR NOT OPERATING EXACTLY THE WAY IT DID EIGHTY-SIX EVENTS AND ALMOST NINE YEARS AGO
11/1/10 1:16 PM
Russ
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hahaha ok you answered my question^^^^

i like Chris a ton but was wondering how long ago it was when he last fought
11/1/10 1:19 PM
Heddy4Cerrone
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Joker!

11/1/10 1:46 PM
n3m
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fake Rassler - LOL, why was my post on this thread deleted along with the post(s) agreeing with it? Since it didn't violate forum rules, I'll repost it.

11/1/10 2:38 PM
WestsideStrangler
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/10 2:47 PM
 Haha I'm obvioulsy not talking about me trying to get in the UFC right now.  I'm not.  Dana has let many banned fighters back in the show so I'm sure if I went on a win streak of sorts I could have spoken to him and apologized for doing nothing wrong and he would have let me back in.  I was not using me as an example to compare me to Mike as much as it was a quick way to compare the situation where I knew the facts of my deal so it made me think when I saw he was back in becuase I just automaticly figured he was cut like 99% of the rest of you did. 

Again I'm not talking shit on Mike I'm just saying it's business and it doesn't matter if you are nice or funny or whatever your personality trait may be, your fighting does the negotiating and in this case it hasn't.

Plus while you guys arer giving me shit saying it was 86 events ago this is sort of what I was saying.  I would think it would be harder to stay in the show now with so many other peeps trying to get in. 
11/1/10 2:44 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
882 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/10 2:44 PM
I got what you were saying before CB .

Mr. 1% , but i know where Joker learned everything he knows :)

11/1/10 2:55 PM
Fake Rassler

WestsideStrangler -  Haha I'm obvioulsy not talking about me trying to get in the UFC right now.  I'm not.  Dana has let many banned fighters back in the show so I'm sure if I went on a win streak of sorts I could have spoken to him and apologized for doing nothing wrong and he would have let me back in.  I was not using me as an example to compare me to Mike as much as it was a quick way to compare the situation where I knew the facts of my deal so it made me think when I saw he was back in becuase I just automaticly figured he was cut like 99% of the rest of you did. 

Again I'm not talking shit on Mike I'm just saying it's business and it doesn't matter if you are nice or funny or whatever your personality trait may be, your fighting does the negotiating and in this case it hasn't.

Going 1-2 and getting a fight against a slightly struggling TUFer isn't unusual these days IMO
11/1/10 3:06 PM
Blackbeard
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike is a brown belt if I'm not mistaken who has been tapped by a purple and now a blue. Whatever though shit happens its a fight.

That aside I would definitely not call a guy who tried to kill himself the best role model for kids. Just my opinion.
11/1/10 3:07 PM
Fake Rassler

Blackbeard - Mike is a brown belt if I'm not mistaken who has been tapped by a purple and now a blue. Whatever though shit happens its a fight.

That aside I would definitely not call a guy who tried to kill himself the best role model for kids. Just my opinion.

You seem familiar

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.