UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Herring waiting on UFC contract resolution

11/2/10 10:32 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

The last time mixed martial arts fans saw Heath Herring in a fight, he dropped a unanimous decision to former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 87 in August 2008. With no fights in the last two years, Herring seemed more likely to end up on the side of a milk carton than inside the Octagon.

“There were a couple of times [since the Lesnar fight] where the UFC wanted me to go overseas and do a fight for them, but it was tough,” Herring told Sherdog.com. “The UFC would do things like ask me to fight overseas but then only pay for one hotel room for me and my coaching staff. If I’m having to pay for hotel rooms, and they’re making as much money as they are on pay-per-views, it’s just not financially worthwhile for me to take that fight.”

Herring wants to fight again as soon as possible. However, he has no idea when that might be.

“I’m kind of in a weird deal with the UFC right now,” said Herring. “Supposedly I’m free and clear, but the UFC is able to match any offer I get for a year. I’ve had some offers, but I’m not sure if the UFC would let me sign somewhere else.”

“The Texas Crazy Horse” has not been idle during his time away from the cage. Instead, he has focused on building an acting career while living in California and Las Vegas.

read entire article...

11/2/10 11:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Sultan
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lose a couple of fights and the UFC seems to treat you like a disposable diaper.
11/2/10 11:15 AM
Morgz
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love to see TCH back in Japan again. 
11/2/10 11:17 AM
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Sultan -  Lose a couple of fights and the UFC seems to treat you like a disposable diaper.

Herring was getting paid to be on undercards, co-mained his last fight against Brock fucking Lesnar, and was going to co-main UFC 99 against Cain before pulling out.
11/2/10 11:17 AM
Hus
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Sultan -  Lose a couple of fights and the UFC seems to treat you like a disposable diaper.

The feelings are mutual with Herring.  Do you not know the history? www.mmafighting.com/2010/02/14/heath-herring-rips-ufc-pay-model-dana-white-has-6-ferraris/
11/2/10 1:45 PM
RUSRedDevil
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Heath, he realized the correct answer alot of fighters need to come to........ They SHOULDN"T be fighting for that kind of pay period...... Not saying they deserve more, alot of them don't I'm saying that if you can only make a few grand getting punched in the head, it's not worth it.... Make a run at the title/dream and if it doesn't work out, don't take scraps to be cannon fodder.
11/2/10 1:55 PM
Hessian
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think as others have said before that we will see a lot more of this in the future from the UFC.

They will just let fighters sit for years wasting precious years of a career just so another organization can not use them.
11/2/10 3:28 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
770 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hessian - I think as others have said before that we will see a lot more of this in the future from the UFC.

They will just let fighters sit for years wasting precious years of a career just so another organization can not use them.

monopoly
11/2/10 5:02 PM
SJBenoist
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/02/10 5:03 PM
That (being sat for a considerable period) is something fighters & managers will have to think about before they sign with Zuffa, but it is not a monopoly.
11/2/10 5:29 PM
the_shrike
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

man i wish he was still active

always a big TCH fan
11/2/10 8:36 PM
LEET060

RUSRedDevil - Good for Heath, he realized the correct answer alot of fighters need to come to........ They SHOULDN"T be fighting for that kind of pay period...... Not saying they deserve more, alot of them don't I'm saying that if you can only make a few grand getting punched in the head, it's not worth it.... Make a run at the title/dream and if it doesn't work out, don't take scraps to be cannon fodder.

some fighters in the UFC do get monthly stipends.

also all fighters in the UFC do get undisclosed sub letter agreement pay as well (which is not reported publicly)
11/2/10 9:53 PM
Haulport

Hong Kong Phooey - 
Hessian - I think as others have said before that we will see a lot more of this in the future from the UFC.

monopoly
Yep. Lorenzo Fertitta is a spiteful, spiteful man.............and so is his bloated socket puppet Dana............

11/2/10 10:03 PM
Hunter V
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and this is one of the reasons why Fedor will NOT ever be in the UFC and most idiots here can't understand that. To give a org that much power over your career is scary, as they can make you or break you depending on if they like you.
11/2/10 10:50 PM
Gorilla Grip

Let me sum up what Herring is REALLY trying to say:

"Brock beat the living hell out of me. Im scared to get back into the ring against top UFC talent. I wanna go back to being a big fish in a small pond, beating up lesser fighters elsewhere"
11/2/10 11:21 PM
humphrey sphinctermuscle

Gorilla Grip - Let me sum up what Herring is REALLY trying to say:

"Brock beat the living hell out of me. Im scared to get back into the ring against top UFC talent. I wanna go back to being a big fish in a small pond, beating up lesser fighters elsewhere"

You're an idiot.
11/2/10 11:21 PM
Bill Pharoni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wanting to fight ASAP, yet seems to be turning down all the opportunities being given.

He's always been full of excuses.
11/3/10 1:48 AM
vruntson

Morgz -  I would love to see TCH back in Japan again. 

DREAM beckons.
11/3/10 2:31 AM
JerodR
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hunter V - 

and this is one of the reasons why Fedor will NOT ever be in the UFC and most idiots here can't understand that. To give a org that much power over your career is scary, as they can make you or break you depending on if they like you.

That may be true but anymore Fedor is not exactly the best example since he won't even fight people in the organization that he is in.
11/3/10 2:49 AM
inf0
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

herpaderpa

11/3/10 11:34 AM
Gorilla Grip

maxmain - 

Watching MMA since 1990, attending UFC events since UFC 3.
Suck it, nerd.
11/3/10 11:54 AM
damane08
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/03/10 11:59 AM
<blockquote>Hunter V - <blockquote>Hessian - I think as others have said before that we will see a lot more of this in the future from the UFC.<br /><br />They will just let fighters sit for years wasting precious years of a career just so another organization can not use them.</blockquote><br /><br />and this is one of the reasons why Fedor will NOT ever be in the UFC and most idiots here can't understand that. To give a org that much power over your career is scary, as they can make you or break you depending on if they like you.</blockquote><br /><br />right... because the org that has control of his career is doing such a great job right?<br />
11/3/10 11:57 AM
KenFlo Choked on Sushi

the_shrike - man i wish he was still active

always a big TCH fan

Me too, it's a shame.  Plenty of fun fights for him in the UFC if they'd give him a chance.
11/3/10 12:14 PM
orcus

Edited: 11/03/10 12:15 PM
Herring made $60,000 for his last loss.

It's not "financially worthwhile" maincarding for $60,000 (not including sponsorship money, win fees, FotN bonuses) if you have to spend $200 on a hotel room for the rest of your coaches?

11/3/10 12:15 PM
Haulport

Gorilla Grip - 
maxmain - 

Watching MMA since 1990, attending UFC events since UFC 3.
Suck it, nerd.
Anyone who talks like you cannot be old enough to have done what you are claiming............
11/3/10 12:17 PM
orcus

Minus Taxes, minus manager fees, training costs etc.. What does that leave? Do you have any idea what it costs to run a training camp to prepare for a fight?

Did he "run a training camp"? Or did he just train at Golden Glory along with all those other guys?

Most other fighters seem to make it work on much less pay than Heath was getting.

What has Heath been doing in the meantime that makes him more than $60k for, say, a three-month period?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.