UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Sore Achilles

11/3/10 11:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bick Koxer
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK, I did a search for other achilles-related threads and nobody had my exact problem but I have read enough to be scared now.

My achilles don't hurt when I train, but when I wake up in the morning or get up from sitting a long time both are stiff and sore.  I limp around for a few minutes then they are fine.  It seems to be getting worse.  Maybe tendonitis?

The pain is no biggie and like I said it doesn't bother me while training, but my worry is that this is the sign of a more serious injury coming down the pike.

Anybody have this problem or know what it is?  Anybody have some really good achilles stretches?
11/28/10 4:51 PM
shlever
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/28/10 4:54 PM
 Dude, BE CAREFUL... I completely blew mine apart doing takedown drills getting ready for a tournament once. It felt like I got shot in the calf and I complete lost the ability to plant my foot which was literally disconnected from my calf. I almost puked it hurt so bad. DONT PLAY AROUND. Go to the doc and ask for an MRI to see if the tendon is tearing or degrading. It is a NASTY NASTY injury and will stop you dead in your tracks from any full speed training for a minimum of 6-9 months. I was laying on an operating table 48 hours after it tore. Its no joke and can cripple you if you dont take care of it fast after it tears.

I was lucky and made a 100% recovery BTW. My doc said they go in pairs sometimes and it is just sitting there in the back of my mind whenever I sprawl or shoot. I have some post surgery pics of the staples and stuff if you want to see them.   
12/1/10 6:07 PM
Bick Koxer
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/01/10 6:08 PM
Damn. Thanks man. Couple questions - did you have any signs of achilles problems before your injury? Pre-injury did it hurt when you trained? 
12/3/10 7:13 AM
shlever
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's the thing..... There was nothing to warn me it was happening. Phone Post
1/3/11 5:53 PM
smartin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had tendon pain for almost two years. I ran sprints without doing a good warm up. The next morning walking down the steps was excruciating. Not bad after warming up, but terrible pain after prolonged rest. Finally felt better after almost a year. Did sprints again and re aggravated it. One year later switched to vibrams 5finger for working out and barefoot sprinting and haven't had an issue since. Tendons have a shit blood supply so healing takes forever.
1/4/11 3:03 AM
BALLSDEEP
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP imo
1/5/11 2:50 PM
Bick Koxer

Didn't go to doctor but several people telling me it is a classic case of achilles tendonitis.  After resting for a couple weeks one stopped bothering me almost comlpetely, the other one was still sore.  I found this treatment routine and began it last week, so far it seems to help a little.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/achilles-tendonitis.html

It is basically a stretching routine that completely avoids concentric contractions in the sore achilles, using only eccentric contractions.  I am going to combine this with taking it a little easy (less/easier running, no more stair or hill running, better stretching before training) for the next couple months and see what happens.  I will report back to this thread with progress or news of ruptured achilles and subsequent surgery.

1/5/11 4:19 PM
shlever

Edited: 01/05/11 4:19 PM
 For the record I probably only lost maybe 5% range of motion when I stand up on my toes as high as I can on the repaired side, and can actually plant and balance on one foot better on the repaired tendon then my other one... although the uninjured tendon's ankle is rolled to shit from other sports. 
5/26/11 4:44 PM
Bick Koxer

UPDATE:

I did the exercises from the post above pretty consistently, 1-2x per day for maybe 3 months and still do them occassionally when I remember.  I cut out running stairs and hills. 

It worked great.  I have gone from hardly being able to walk when I got out of bed to rarely feeling anything in my Achilles.  Other than the stairs and hills I can train and do sports normally (muy thai and/or bjj usually 2 times a week, surfing 1-2x week, running 4x, yoga 1x, some golf and other shit) and feel no pain. 

So if your achilles is sore - do the swedish achilles exercises!

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/achilles-tendonitis.html

5/27/11 6:55 PM
cdmontgo
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the link!

I've been having problems with soreness in my achilles for about a month now.  Just like you once I warm up, I don't feel a thing.  When I wake up and when a cool down after exercising, they are sore as hell.  Stairs suck!

A week ago, I switched from running to a stationary bike for cardio and started stretching beforehand.  I still have a little soreness, but it seems to be getting better.  Which is good because I have about 25 pounds to drop.
6/1/11 6:14 PM
U4EA
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing to remember in all this is that the human body is just not designed for any kind of endurance activity, and wear and tear can show up quickly on the tendons etc.

Personally, I had problems with my calf and bursa in the last 6 months. The calf problem was being caused by the whole area being tight as hell. Martinburke - a member here who no longer posts - helped me rehab it by giving me advice/links on it.

The one thing I realised with the lower leg is that the tissues there are often so tight, it doesnt feel that there is anything to stretch i.e. you think the ROM you have in the area is natural.

The most important thing for me was to get flexibility in the tendons behind the knee and in the achillies itself. A good warm up is required for both, especially the achillies.

Have a look at this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4cpBBDVGGU

This one is great for your knees...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5304/5610264071_f215c906eb.jpg

This is the bext stretch I have found by far for getting the achillies to move...

http://www.home-workout-and-fitness.com/images/achilles-stretch-1.jpg

HTH.
6/1/11 11:41 PM
cdmontgo
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet!  Thanks U4EA. 

My lower legs were tight as hell prior to switching to my new routine about ten days ago.  I've been stretching more and switched from running to the stationary bike, and my legs have loosened up a lot.

I like that last one you posted.  I'll start doing that tomorrow.

6/2/11 4:56 AM
U4EA
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you are doing that one, make sure you hold the stretch for at least 90-120 seconds to affect it properly. It might not seem like it's stretching when you do it as the tissue is to tough but you will notice the ROM in the ankle slowly improving. Also, dont just push forward in a straight line - move the knee left to right to find the tight spots (it was the outside part of my calf that was the worst) and, once you din them, target them too.

The other one I mentioned - the one for your knees - is a great stretch. Most other stretches for that area pretty much make me want to cry from the pain, but that thing elongates the area very quickly and totally painlessly. And I think working that area is vital for making life easier on the lower leg/heel.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.