UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> 5th degree BB in Vancouver

11/4/10 10:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
monkeyroll
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi
I just came across this link:

http://www.allexperts.com/ep/3693-107845/Jiu-Jitsu/Shihan-Tim-Henry.htm

Is this guy really a 5th degree BB in BJJ? I never heard of him before in the community. If so, who promoted him?

Thanks
11/5/10 12:59 AM
yusul
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/05/10 1:42 AM
i remember years ago, there was a paramedic, i think from ontario, who claimed he was a bjj black, and proven to be a liar. i think there was a poster named niagara bjj who would remember but esfiha (sp_) would for sure. i wonder if it's the same guy. every bb i've heard of is proud to mention their lineage, even on the net.
11/5/10 3:49 AM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this dude is legit.  His credentials are at LEAST as good as mine.

Honestly.  Why would anyone lie about this stuff in this day and age?
11/5/10 12:28 PM
superB
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tim Henry’s BJJ experience is virtually nil. I had the misfortune of training with him in Edmonton before I knew any better. He had plenty of “stories” about his training with the gracies and seminars where he tooled the instructors.

He had plenty of other bull shit stories that sounded insane to even the ear of somebody who had never trained before. Golden gloves boxer etc..

He is a JJJ guy and that’s it. I don’t believe he has had any formal BJJ training other than a few privates or seminars. Although he did tell me how he lived with Renzo for a month. :p

It wasn’t until I started training at a real BJJ academy that I realized how full of crap he was.

I won’t get into any of my opinions on his character but he is in no way a BJJ black belt. I could dish up about 20 BJJ blue belts that would stomp him in a BJJ match.

Steer clear of Tim Henry.

Coop
11/5/10 1:35 PM
Robin Black
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is the fun kind of drama :)
11/5/10 1:35 PM
Robin Black
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1armedScissor -  

Honestly.  Why would anyone lie about this stuff in this day and age?

very good question my friend
11/5/10 2:19 PM
superB

He was lying about his training and past long before the internet was prevalent.

old habits die hard.

Robin- Yes, this is what internet forums use to be for. :)

coop
11/5/10 3:36 PM
Robin Black

Yep, the good kind of drama. Exposing frauds and fake BBs and stuff.

But seriously. How can anyone believe they can get away with lying about their BJJ training when it is all so traceable on the web?

Incidentally I'm a Doctor AND a lawyer and an NBA star.
11/5/10 11:17 PM
effinggoof
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As an astronaut with a 9th degree BB in ninjitsu and a 12 inch penis, I am shocked and dismayed to hear that people are inflating credentials on the internet.
11/6/10 12:53 AM
R-Mon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephan Kesting thinks this guy is a douche bag. That's enough for me. Phone Post
11/6/10 2:36 AM
Tim Henry

Just to clarify a few things in my personal defence.

I don't care what Stephen K thinks about me as hes never really ever met me on any signifigant level if at all, but thats ok, all I know of him I hold his ability as a Martial artist and teacher to a high degree. He is indeed an impressive individual especially regarding his ability to very effectively transfer information to his students and those he works with, which is a difficult task at best.

Now as to this JJ 5th dan issue. NO I AM NOT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN A 5th DAN in BJJ. I am however of guilty in mistyping info in such a way that I left out a comma and it certainly could have been read as such.

As far as being a liar etc well thats not something I'm even going to debate on an internet chatroom lol its far too juvenile. I will say this whenever I train someone they are very pleased with the results and this comes from ppl spending many years in many styles and systems JJ. So to me thats good enough reference as far as im concerned.

Well SuperB I don't recall you ever training with me in Edmonton and if you did hm apparently you apparently made no real impression on me to remember you and now seeing such childish comments after all these years I can see why.

What cant be denied is I have trained students who went to World class level and came back with Gold/Silver Medals so guess I did something right. Reardless Im sure you gentlemen have far more important thins to do that listen to He said She said silliness and gossip about someone on the net you've never met or trained with.

My advice stick with talking directly about those you have personally trained with and worked with day in and day out on the mats, then you'll be in a position to at least offer some info.

In Closing remember this!
One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance who ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied. "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Test of Three."

"Test of Three?"

"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my student let's take a moment to test what you're going to say. The first test is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

No," the man said, "actually I just heard about It."

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second test, the test of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something good?"

"No, on the contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him even though you're not certain it's true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed.

Socrates continued. "You may still pass though, b ecause there is a third test - the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even Useful, why tell it to me at all?"

The man was defeated and ashamed. This is the reason Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

Maybe the concept of honor, respect, being a good person etc all things a martial artist is supposed to live by BJJ or otherwise, yet this conversation Im reading violated alot of these sentiments. peer pressure sometimes creates bully of us all, think about it.Its easy to type words true or not about ppl we dont know and affect their lives and reputations as long as it didnt affect you. Think about it.

All the best and sorry or long winded response.
Shihan Tim Henry
NOT 5th DAN BJJ
11/6/10 3:10 AM
monkeyroll
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. I didn't expect a reply from the man himself. Thank you.
Was just curious because the AllExperts link seemed to indicate otherwise. You do list that you have credentials in BJJ..so (respectfully) who are these from? As mentioned earlier, most BJJ BB practitioners seem inclined to list their lineage.

Peace
11/6/10 10:38 AM
1armedScissor

Who gave you your black belt in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu Tim.  Clearly that isn't a spelling mistake.
11/6/10 10:43 AM
Robin Black

Interesting stuff.

Cool of Tim to come on here.

So, this is just a typo issue. Crisis averted?
11/6/10 3:27 PM
superB

I said nothing untrue.

just things you have said to me personally.

There are plenty of things that would be considered hearsay that I did not bring up. Things that friends of mine have told me about their interactions with you. But those are not my words to pass on.

You always say the right thing in public with your wise words and philosophies but a different side of your character comes out when fewer ears are around.

There are plenty of Martial Arts schools i would send my friends to, yours just isn't one of them.

coop

11/6/10 3:45 PM
superB

oh and this looks like a little more than a typo.

unless "black belt gracie brazilian jiu-jitsu" is in your auto spell check right beside "black belt Morganti Jujutsu (Sao Paulo Brazil)"

taken from http://schoolofeverything.com/teacher/timhenry

--------------------------

Tim Henry
martial arts sensei
Based in Vancouver, Canada
Also teaches in Always willing to travel at additional fee for in home training.

Rates: $40.00 CAD session

Make an enquiry Skype
LEARN FROM ONE OF THE BEST IN THE WORLD
I am a qualified Martial Arts Jujutsu Instructor with 39 yrs Experience and 29 yrs teaching I am also the current Head Coach for Team Canada from 2000-Present as well as the Canadian Director ISJA and CNMAA as well as the Western Canadian Director IFOJJ. Inducted into the World Martial Arts Hall OF Fame for Jujutsu in 2003 and was Jujutsu Instructor of the year in 1994.I currently hold the following ranks 7th dan Combat Jujutsu, 5th dan Ketto ryu Jujutsu, 7th Dan Filipino arnis/Escrima, Black, Black Belt Gracie brazilian Jiu jitsu ,Sash Kung fu 3rd dan Tae Kwon Do, 4th dan Karate do, 2nd dan Aikido,Kickboxing.I have a background Military 10 yrs, Law Enforcement in US, Private Miilitary Contractor work, Bodyguard experience, Door security for nightclubs and Instructed everything from, Local, State/Provincial and Federal Law Enforcement, Military Special Forces, Professional Sports teams, Celebrities.I have taght seminars and classes in over 20 countries.Currently under me I have 5 World Champions,6 National Champions and many local Champions.
---------------------------------------------
11/6/10 4:30 PM
Robin Black

Edited: 11/06/10 5:05 PM
Mr. Henry, we don't know each other. I have a feeling you are a passionate Martial Arts Instructor who has dedicated your life to it.

I thought I would respectfully give my observation of what's up.

Let me first say I have no malice in anything I'm writing. I always try to treat everyone good, be kind, and look for the good in people/situations/things. I am no authority on anything, just a passionate Martial Arts enthusiast and obsessive researcher of the sport and history and stuff.

I don't think the people writing stuff above have any ill will towards you (I don't know them, so I could be wrong).

The thing is, anyone who has been involved with Martial Arts over the last 30 or 40 years and has trained, read Black Belt mag in the 80s, followed fighting on the web in the 90s etc, knows that storytelling is an important tradition in the sport and art.

"My instructor beat 5 guys". "My school won a bare-knuckle contest in the 80s", "I trained with Bruce Lee". These types of storytelling (and acceptable storytelling enhancements) are part and parcel of Martial Arts and their history.

Many many great fighters and great teachers have been a bit fast-and-loose with their history and accomplishments. If they are talented, passionate and great teachers, it just helps build the aura. Which is a legitimate thing in Martial Arts.

For whatever reason, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu falls outside of the realm of acceptable exaggeration.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is much younger and, I dare say, takes itself very seriously. And it is all traceable.
Kareem Al-Sayeed gave me my blue belt. He is a Black belt under Wagnney Fabiano, who is a Black Belt under Wendel Alexander and Andre Pederneiras, who are Black Belts under Carlson Gracie, who is a Black belt under..... you get the picture.....

Because it is so traceable, and because of the deep respect BJJ practitioners have for the art and its history, they get up in arms if someone claims to be a BJJ BB.

That's what's up here.

It is normal, acceptable and a critical part of the aura and legend of Martial Arts (as they have been Americanized) to be a great storyteller, and to enhance stories and create myths. A huge percentage of North American Martial artists and their students have done it over the last 40 years.

It's just unacceptable to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu purists and BJJ people have a different tradition: to expose people who claim status that they have not earned in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

That's what's goin on here I think.

I wish you all the best in your teaching and training and stuff.
11/6/10 5:45 PM
monkeyroll

Just to clarify:

It's you Shihan that appear to state you have a BB in BJJ in this passage provided in the above link:

http://schoolofeverything.com/teacher/timhenry

I am a qualified Martial Arts Jujutsu Instructor with 39 yrs Experience and 29 yrs teachingI am also the current Head Coach for Team Canada from 2000-Present as well as the Canadian Director ISJA and CNMAA as well as the Western Canadian Director IFOJJ. I currently hold the following ranks 7th dan Combat Jujutsu, 5th dan Ketto ryu Jujutsu, 7th Dan Filipino arnis/Escrima, Black,

Black Belt Gracie brazilian Jiu jitsu

,Sash Kung fu 3rd dan Tae Kwon Do, 4th dan Karate do, 2nd dan Aikido,Kickboxing.I have a background Military 10 yrs, Law Enforcement in US, Private Miilitary Contractor work, Bodyguard experience, Door security for nightclubs and Instructed everything from, Local, State/Provincial and Federal Law Enforcement, Military Special Forces, Professional Sports teams, Celebrities.I have taght seminars and classes in over 20 countries.Currently under me I have 5 World Champions,6 National Champions and many local Champions.

There does not appear to be any comma error there...unless this is a forgery?&%$#??

Can you provide details for us regarding the credentials in question?

Best Wishes in your training.
11/6/10 7:46 PM
ilk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow good post robin black.

tim: if socrates asked you for your bjj black belt linage, what would you say to him?
11/6/10 10:14 PM
Tim Henry

Edited: 11/06/10 10:40 PM
First off SuperB,
The typo in which I was referring to was the first section of that advertisement as there are 2 parts apparently that pretty much had duplicate info more or less. When I went to the site to investigate your concerns, I discovered it infact was a typo aand comma seperation issue. However on te second section it indeed did clearly state Black Belt Gracie Jiu Jitsu. So you can set aside the sarcasm and realize I was refering to a different info section of the same site and did not see the other till today. It has been a long time since I put in that history. Never the less, honestly and no disrespect but who are any of you to question what I did or didn't do anyhow, all that truly matters is can I execute the knowledge and does it work and a solid yes to both of those I can say with certainty.

I realize this is going to go on and on so I'll shut it down in a very simple and respectful manner because honestly theres one thing I learned about internet forums especially MMA and BJJ is that 1 answer will only lead to more BS because someone will perpetuate the situation. So lets do this, because to me its about what a man can do not hang on a wall or around his waist. So many guys Ive seen that have great lineage , certs, belts etc but are terrible fighters or even worse Instructors. That said Im just removing anything relating to BJJ period and that way this issue will be finalized. Funny though how many BJJ Black Belts under what you would call top lineage trained with me and were very very impressed with what I taught regarding BJJ. But thats neither here nor there, I just prefer to shut down this heresay or perpetuated silliness. Its very funny because so many of you have been doing BJJ for 10-15 yrs and consider yourselves well established, yet I first met Royce and Rorion at the old Torrance academy in the 80s when I lived there lol but never the less its all good. Well just leave all BJJ out of any of my internet info and everyone will be happy. Because in all honesty I don't hold these things so highly valued as you apparently do, I believe more in Does it work? Then do it, if it doesn't remove it.So good luck with all your training, I don't frequent these forums much for these reasons,so sorry to say but I wont be back.
Shihan Tim Henry
11/6/10 10:37 PM
1armedScissor

Wouldn't it just be easier to say who gave you your black belt Tim?  Aren't you being a little over dramatic?
11/6/10 10:37 PM
ilk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

are you kidding me? if you earned a bjj black belt how can you be so quick to remove it from your bio just cuz peeps are asking you about who you got it from?

thats crazy! the fact that you are quick to remove all bjj from bio yet you still have not actually answered the real question of who gave you your bjj black belt seems very suspect.

11/6/10 10:52 PM
Tim Henry

Edited: 11/06/10 11:23 PM
Lol my point has been proven even after removing the entire point of the subject it still can't be put to bed lol typical internet.<br /><br /><blockquote>ilk - wow good post robin black. <br /><br />tim: if socrates asked you for your bjj black belt linage, what would you say to him?<br /></blockquote><br /><br />I would say Mr Socrates to be honestly Sir its really none of your business, unless you are paying me money to teach you. Additionally silly to even ask this because Socrates died in 399 and BJJ was incepted in early 20th century. So it wouldnt even be a question or an issue <br /><br />Ilk:<br />No not true, merely to make a very clear statement that its completely unimportant but alot of BS talked about on the internet regarding me is far more important to me. I know what I did and who with and bottom line is if you really get down to brass tacks whats truly important is Can I do and teach all the same techniques such as omoplata (Udejujigarame) Kimura (Ushiro Ude Gatame), jumping ArmBars, jumping Triangle Chokes, rolling kneebars, guard escapes, 1/2 guard sweeps etc etc at the same or similar level to the people you all look up too? definitely, I know this for fact, so call it ego, boastfulness, wishful thinking etc but bottomline is I know its fact. So maybe Im being abit dramatic but its to prove a very important point IT DOESNT MATTER.If someone were to ask you your place of business, employers name, his fathers name, where he worked, where you went to school, your wifes name etc all beccause you stated your occupation was a plumber for example, you'd tell them to mind their own business and find it rude or intrusive to ask. Well I feel the same way, when Im being pressured into giving info you want to know and that in itself does not give you any rights at all. If you share that info with each other GREAT! but Im not you. Ok?<br />So good luck with your training Gents.
11/6/10 11:31 PM
1armedScissor

I recieved my blue belt from Jorge Britto who recieved his Black Belt from Vinicius Aieta who recieved his Black belt from Royler Gracie who in turn recieved his Black belt from Helio Gracie.

I'm proud of my lineage and I would never "denounce" my lineage for any reason.
11/6/10 11:47 PM
monkeyroll

Well, Mr Shihan,

As the OP on this thread..you have demonstrated one thing CLEARLY..that you are perhaps a 5th dan BB-Liar. You don't have a BB in BJJ do you? and now have been caught in a BIG LIE and exposed. You obviously have talent but choose to BS everyone. Pathetic Timmy. Just Pathetic.

Funny to watch you wriggle in your LIE. But still Pathetic.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.